Thinking Positively - is a load of bollocks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rex said:
1. Half a glass of water, what a problem

2. Half a glass of water, where might this lead?

Who discovers the favourable outcomes, the whinger, or the opportunist? Who is in pain? Who is painful to be around? Who would you want on your team? Who do you choose to be?
Rex - its all good. I am suggesting that thinking positively is an overblown longstanding society wide belief system thats been around for years and is unproven. Do you think the Titans went out with a positive attitude on Monday night? They did. What happened? It didn't work. And going the polar opposite ( ie thinking negatively )? What's that mean? Being honest is the go and wanting to win is fine. Playing to a game plan to attack a certain side, defend a key attacker out of the game is also very necessary. Blindly "thinking positively" like some infer here is no guarantee to success. Slamming players who under perform and do not deliver repeatedly like T Rex, is being honest, not negative.

bazeagle said:
Rex said:
1. Half a glass of water, what a problem

2. Half a glass of water, where might this lead?

Who discovers the favourable outcomes, the whinger, or the opportunist? Who is in pain? Who is painful to be around? Who would you want on your team? Who do you choose to be?

Rex - its all good. I am suggesting that thinking positively is an overblown longstanding society wide belief system thats been around for years and is unproven. Do you think the Titans went out with a positive attitude on Monday night? They did. What happened? It didn't work. And going the polar opposite ( ie thinking negatively )? What's that mean? Being honest is the go and wanting to win is fine. Playing to a game plan to attack a certain side, defend a key attacker out of the game is also very necessary. Blindly "thinking positively" like some infer here is no guarantee to success. Slamming players who under perform and do not deliver repeatedly like T Rex, is being honest, not negative.

Interesting, this great debate on the subject matter.
Sometimes teams do run out (or possibly individuals in the team) feeling negative about something. They know and want to feel positive but something has happened that has taken away their firm belief in themselves and their outlook on the outcome. Take the Manly team the following two years after BS was accused of what he didn't do. This did have a underlining effect on individuals and probably did effect the performance of the team - in a negative way. THe players would have tried to be positive an focused. But something niggled at them. They weren't whole, because one of their own - one of their family - was suffering. Something had to happen for the team to have a fresh mental picture of themselves because they suffered and were negative (unknowingly) towards life. This is all my guess, of course.

Now both teams run out hoping to be prepared and as positive as they can be. Things happen in the game that turn individuals and teams into being negative, eg, a try against the run of play; a brick wall defence that cannot be penetrated; a drop ball in your half when you need some momentum, etc. Of course the opposite can happen when the team is directionless and down, eg, KF does a big hit on a rooster forward and the whole team turns from negative to positive.

One of the goals for a team to beat another team is to make them feel negative. Through big hits to heckling and niggling. They want to squash the opposition mentally; make them feel less and inadequate. You beat the opposition in their mind and you are most of the way there. It is those that can maintain their 'positivity' by being balanced, level headed, and mostly focused on what they need to do, then they have more of a chance of coming out ahead.

Again, these are morning ramblings ;^)

Baz,

Defending a key attacker isn't negative. It's the emotional state, not the activity that determines negativity.

Thinking positively doesn't guarantee outer success. Thinking positively is inner success. A benefit of inner success is increased chances of outer success.

If you want proof that negative thinking increases your chances of failure, then sit in a dark, dingy room and imagine failure. Think negative thoughts, and the more the negative the feelings, think those thoughts more often. Believe them. Just keep stewing on them. You can fairly easily train your mind to be depressed if you work at it, persist with it.

The absence of negative thinking is positive thinking. The absence of disturbance is stillness. Positive thinking isn't thinking "I will make one million dollars, I will make one million dollars..." Positive thinking is simply seeing opportunities as they are, seeing clearly, and acting in accordance with what you see. If thoughts are coming from a place of deficiency, where "what is here right now" is not OK, then they are negative thoughts, no matter how positive they may seem.

If your thoughts start from a place of inner abundance, then you program the feeling of inner abundance. If your thoughts start from a place of inner deficiency, then you program the feeling of inner deficiency.

When you have a program of inner deficiency, no matter what happens, or what you achieve, or accumulate, you will be miserable. Any happiness will be fleeting as you inevitably return to the program. That is negative thinking. The negative thinker thinks he is simply being honest. He doesn't see that he's looking through fundamentally distorted lenses, fundamentally distorted thoughts.

When you have a program of inner abundance, no matter what happens, you will be happy. That is positive thinking.

The negativity on this site pisses me off at times. Pre season not many on here gave manly a chance of making the 8 for instance. All that counts is that the players think positively. I love reading this forum, but there does tend to be a touch of overanalysis and rampant pessimism from time to time.

"Thinking positively is inner success." This from your earlier post.
Rex, in all honesty what does this mean?
Its new age rambling nonsense.
See how this whole "positive thinking" crap works?
It's vaguery. And its bollocks.
I say seeing how things really are is a far better plan.
Then reality can be seen, understood and practical steps taken instead of this vague self help garbage.

Positive, negative, realistic. There is room for them all no doubt and to be honest when a website is designed specificly to support and talk footy with 1 basic mindset ( manly) you have to expect theses emotions to all be welcomed differently. That is realistic

Positive posts and posters are easier to get along with, easier to read and less likely to get into a keyboard stoush. As a result there opinions are generally respected a little more or at least tolerated

Nothing wrong with a negative post or poster but many people just dont need a heap of killjoys in there life so they react. Essentially by reacting its there problem as well as the poster but the poster should expect that result or confrontation. Its inevitable

Realistic. This is the big one. Everyone should be realistic and those who appear very realistic have arced up a bit lately. To envisage Manly sitting in the top few sides this early was probably exceeding most peoples expectations except for the playing group and coaching group. But for some the narrow win against the titans, some individual players, developement of a young half is annoying to the point they dont seem to be enjoying there footy. Again thats there problem in the end but sharing there baggage and discontent vigourously with a group far more content is always going to bring a mixed emotion. Reap what you sow

Ive written about Trex before and he is the classic example of realistic views. With stewy wolfie, rodney etc its fair to say he isnt in the top 17. So in a squad of 25 he probably sits at no 18 20 in the pecking order . Thats how the club feels, the coaching staff. Being realistic what do people expect of someone in a squad in that pecking order, world beater, solid, enigmatic ?look at some of the other clubs and see what they get in that position

There is room for all types but in the end, if you rant, throw grenades and sook, the audience will decide your fate and who can ask for more than that. Much better than referees decideing , we all know how that ends

jbb/james said:
Positive, negative, realistic. There is room for them all no doubt and to be honest when a website is designed specificly to support and talk footy with 1 basic mindset ( manly) you have to expect theses emotions to all be welcomed differently. That is realistic

Positive posts and posters are easier to get along with, easier to read and less likely to get into a keyboard stoush. As a result there opinions are generally respected a little more or at least tolerated

Nothing wrong with a negative post or poster but many people just dont need a heap of killjoys in there life so they react. Essentially by reacting its there problem as well as the poster but the poster should expect that result or confrontation. Its inevitable

Realistic. This is the big one. Everyone should be realistic and those who appear very realistic have arced up a bit lately. To envisage Manly sitting in the top few sides this early was probably exceeding most peoples expectations except for the playing group and coaching group. But for some the narrow win against the titans, some individual players, developement of a young half is annoying to the point they dont seem to be enjoying there footy. Again thats there problem in the end but sharing there baggage and discontent vigourously with a group far more content is always going to bring a mixed emotion. Reap what you sow

Ive written about Trex before and he is the classic example of realistic views. With stewy wolfie, rodney etc its fair to say he isnt in the top 17. So in a squad of 25 he probably sits at no 18 20 in the pecking order . Thats how the club feels, the coaching staff. Being realistic what do people expect of someone in a squad in that pecking order, world beater, solid, enigmatic ?look at some of the other clubs and see what they get in that position

There is room for all types but in the end, if you rant, throw grenades and sook, the audience will decide your fate and who can ask for more than that. Much better than referees decideing , we all know how that ends
Great post jbb/james.
I buy that.

bazeagle said:

You ask what I mean, then dogmatically tell me what it means without waiting for an answer? What's that about?

Not understanding something doesn't make it rambling nonsense, vaguery or bollocks. It just means you don't understand.

Hormones are pumped through your system with every stressful thought. Ultimately stress from these hormones can lead to unhappiness, illness, relationship breakdowns and early death. Positive viewing lenses simply don't hold stressful thoughts. Thinking positively is therefore "inner success". Unless your definition of inner success is "inner stressed". See SER8's post above if you want an example of sane (aka non-stressful, aka positive) vs insane thinking.

bazeagle said:
Then reality can be seen, understood and practical steps taken instead of this vague self help garbage.
I agree seeing how things really are is a far better plan. And if you've got the blinkers over your inner world, then you're more than half blind.

Negative thinking is a key sign of delusion, and loss of contact with reality.

Rex said:
bazeagle said:

You ask what I mean, then dogmatically tell me what it means without waiting for an answer? What's that about?

Not understanding something doesn't make it rambling nonsense, vaguery or bollocks. It just means you don't understand.

Hormones are pumped through your system with every stressful thought. Ultimately stress from these hormones can lead to unhappiness, illness, relationship breakdowns and early death. Positive viewing lenses simply don't hold stressful thoughts. Thinking positively is therefore "inner success". Unless your definition of inner success is "inner stressed". See SER8's post above if you want an example of sane (aka non-stressful, aka positive) vs insane thinking.

bazeagle said:
I agree seeing how things really are is a far better plan. And if you've got the blinkers over your inner world, then you're more than half blind.

Negative thinking is a key sign of delusion, and loss of contact with reality.
Don't worry about it Rex.
You're not getting where I'm coming from because you are a bolted on committed "positive" thinker. It's ok to disagree.

If by "positive" you mean I dump thoughts when I see they're causing suffering, then bolt me on.

Rex said:
Thinking negatively is nothing but thinking in fear.

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread - just wanted to hear a metaphysical style argument from Rex when I came upon this little nugget. Are you a fan of Donnie Darko, Rex? ;)

Positive and negative are both bollocks.

Your thinking needs to be accurate. If the situation is ****ed, being positive makes you look like you just don't get it. If things are good, go with it.

And to put it into context of this site, I have no problems with the ugly truth and can come up with those conclusions myself. I do however, think though that publicly belittling members of our club is a **** act.

Duff said:
Positive and negative are both bollocks.

Your thinking needs to be accurate. If the situation is f***ed, being positive makes you look like you just don't get it. If things are good, go with it.

And to put it into context of this site, I have no problems with the ugly truth and can come up with those conclusions myself. I do however, think though that publicly belittling members of our club is a s**t act.

Everyone thinks they're own thinking is accurate. Yes? Why does this happen?

Two people go on the exact same holiday, same resort, same activities. One has a great time, loves the experience, is thankful. The other finds fault in just about everything and comes away critical. Why is this so?

Rex said:
Two people go on the exact same holiday, same resort, same activities. One has a great time, loves the experience, is thankful. The other finds fault in just about everything and comes away critical. Why is this so?

In my case it was because I had the three bedroom bungalow on the cliff top with the private butler and three friendly house maids, and you got the studio apartment next to the pool pump. :)

Yeah, I know MB. You've complained many, many times how the maids kept disappearing, and that sharing three bedrooms with that oversexed butler only made you want to jump off the cliff.

PS Those attractive maids were "friendly" indeed, loved the pool, and it's overlooking studio apartment. One room was all we needed and switching on the pool pump was handy in covering up their erotic moans. Thanks once again for picking up the bill for all that mate.

You just keep telling yourself that Rex. Methinks your 'memory illusion' is consistently "free of thought" - but carry on as it is obviously working for you. :D

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7