the Voice, and God save our gracious etc etc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From my understanding of the last referendum the strongest argument and most likely the prevailing one was that our current system ( the system itself works) and the case for change other than our growing distancing from traditional England did not offer a better systematic alternative other than being potentially problematic…
Accurate summation.

Interestingly - while the increasing levels of people born overseas were thought to push Australia towards a republic, many view our whole system of government as a safe haven of continuity, stability, bipartisanship and desirable:

Dana Pham’s family came to Australia in the 1970s in the aftermath of the Vietnam War.
Her family's suffering under a corrupt republican system of government in South Vietnam has led her to interpret Australia having a British head of state as a representation of transparency and stability.
Speaking ahead of the announcement of the Queen's death this week she said: "Just the system of government back then, what they experienced, I don’t think we can have much good to say about that."
"And hence, that’s why they came to Australia, where our head of state isn’t a president, we have a governor-general who represents the Queen, so ultimately, it’s the Queen and she doesn’t get political. She doesn’t impose her political will — in fact, we barely know what her political will is because she barely talks about it."
The Queen's death, which sees her eldest son become King Charles III, has since sparked debate in some circles about whether Australia should now look to become a republic.
"In the Vietnamese community, you don't really hear much debate about whether we should remain a constitutional monarchy or whether Australia should become a republic," Dana said.
"Look at my family, they're very big on the good works and good deeds of the British Royal Family. I think that could be a reflection of the wider community. As you see actions speak louder than words."

And:

Alessandro Rosini’s family migrated to Australia from Sparta, Greece and southern Italy in the 1950s.
His family, like others who’ve fled conflict, looked to the Queen as a beacon of hope. His grandfather passed on stories of the Nazis executing his brother in World War Two.
When his grandmother was seven, she was sent to Switzerland to work and send money back to family in Italy.
"So when they chose Australia as their country of choice, it was because of the stability in Australia, the opportunities and because they saw a future for their family," he said.
"My family does support constitutional monarchy in Australia because it provides a stable country where they don’t have to worry about sending their children to a foreign country to earn money and send it back, they can enjoy and live a normal life here with their family at peace," he said.
At the time of the Queen's death, she was also Queen of 14 other Commonwealth realms, in addition to the United Kingdom.
Alessandro believes the monarchy is an institution worth keeping.
"As that old ancient chant is shouted across the UK and the Commonwealth, 'the Queen is dead, long live the King.'"

Good point , the Greek and the Italians need a voice too , after all this country has been built in their backs for the last 80 years
Thank you feathered friend you are very considerate

I would like to say we are all blessed to be living in a Great Country Like Australia

A Patriotic quote by Theodore Roosevelt
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”
Australiaflagbig.GIF

I remember when I went to school, there were no Asian kids in any of our classes in primary or secondary school. I had Aboriginal school mates, but no Asians.

I remember when I went to school, there were no Asian kids in any of our classes in primary or secondary school. I had Aboriginal school mates, but no Asians.
Yeah, there were only few in my time.
Oddly enough the Chinese were one of the first free settlers in Australia.

Mate you cant have a Wog without a Purple Valiant Charger

1972-Chrysler-Valiant-Charger-1-630x354.jpg
Love them mate. My dad who has quite a lot of Greek blood drove a white one. As a kid I remember him cleaning it all the time. Was certainly the pride and joy…

Love them mate. My dad who has quite a lot of Greek blood drove a white one. As a kid I remember him cleaning it all the time. Was certainly the pride and joy…
I had an E55 340 v8 . I cant believe I sold it .

Did your father have a Hemi 6 or a V8 ?

Bad luck for the Charger but it was good luck for your Dad to be ok

What it a Hemi 215. 245 or 265 ?
Thanks mate. Absolutely it was the ultimate protective chariot.
Not sure on the the type of hemi ( I was a young fella at the time) but will ask him…

Thanks mate. Absolutely it was the ultimate protective chariot.
Not sure on the the type of hemi ( I was a young fella at the time) but will ask him…
Also please ask him was it a 3 or 4 speed manual or an auto

and Give him a Manly Hug from me

Quick quiz… How many of us here (proud Aussies one and all, presumably) are or have been British subjects?

Answer: all of us born before 1984 were British subjects up till the law was altered in 1984.
Whether you like it or not. Even though Australian federation took place way back in 1901.

Significance of that? Well obviously, many of us still identify as British. We’ve got King Charles as head of state, we’ve got the union jack on our flag, and obviously The King, His Majesty, is a figure of great reverence and respect in our country (with the possible exception of most of the country). As the sovereign of the United Kingdom, he embodies the ideals of duty, dignity, and tradition that have made our nation what it is today. Long may he reign. Yeah! Hmmm

Or alternatively, we could find significance in the fact our nation is incredibly new in the grander scheme of these things. Obviously the land and people are one and free not young and free. (Suddenly.) (We used to be young and free)

So one point to take out of all this is that so far as Australian traditions go, they are newish and evolving as we speak. so Let’s f off the Geoff Boycotts, Mike Gattings, Princes or Kings whether greenie or pedo, and keep working on improving this joint. Which to everyone except blind freddy will involve some formal acknowledgement of who lived here before the Brits. So if they want a Voice, that’s the least they deserve.

For what its worth I agree that the Voice is in danger of becoming reduced to a mere token. And yet symbolic gestures can be very significant. And if that is what our First Nations people are requesting, then why anyone would oppose this frankly is beyond me. As for the crackpot theories about how the Voice might be a trojan horse.. yes yes, I can see it now, all the indigenous billionaires will be able to use their influence to get lucrative mining licences or something … um, yeah, right.
I'm sure you do this sort of partisan prose on purpose SER8 ,to just get a few of us out of the blocks and a bit fired up when there is no footy on
Yes of course we need another level of bureaucracy filled with the likes of Pat Dodson and Lydia Thorp types and any other numerous hangers on and carpet baggers, to be the voice of Indigenous people ,,,not .
The government doesn't and hasn't listened to the current indigenous voices that told them to keep the Better Futures (I think a Gillard inititaive) and Cashless welfare card after they got in last year ,so what makes anyone think that another new shiny bloated government sink hole will be heard. Its just more useless symbolism and more cost for less result.
My fear is that the government will only hear the voices it wants to anyway , as in above making it totally superfluous . On top of that there is a real risk that this will turn out to be a lawyer and public servant super feast, as old Albo has taken the easy route and not even asked the Solicitor general or Attorney General for the various ramifications of changing the constitution.Thats all we need more useless to-ing and fro-ing legalese and court cases There are any number of Indigenous government organisations, not to mention the Minister herself and not to mention the members, state and federal in those electorates who are or should be the "voices" ,what is so hard to understand about that concept ?
The Cashless welfare card had many indigenous "voices" from all sides of the street saying what a good idea it had been, as it meant kids were eating and going to school etc ,yet despite all that the plug was pulled on it from nothing other that petty partisan politics ,and they let the Better Futures legislation sunset clause go thru as well
We are a blended country over the last 200 years made of many nations and migrants ,its time to act like a blended Nation and stop the constant undermining of what has got us here in the first place and be governed as one nation rather than constantly trying to divides us by race and gender and anything else that can help to marginalise and isolate people.
The Alice Springs and other areas need real action not expensive and ultimately unheard echo chambers
The people in Alice Springs need jobs and things to do thats where the money and actions should be going and they need more police at least untill the things are under control

Re The monarchy ,I'm no big fan of them what so ever and could care less really (in fact I detest the winger and the ginger, but have a modicum of respect for William and Kate ),but in the absence of a better system (which hasn't been put forth) and in light of how well over all the current system has served us I don't think I have seen anything to suggest we should dump the Monarchy. I mean I could think of nothing worse than King Peter and his Queen of Australia Lisa ,other than maybe Bonny Prince Mike Carlton of Newport (insert vomit emoji).

You forgot Australia day ,again if the date was changed who would be happy and unhappy ,some would never be happy and will never be happy until the country is back to where it was before Cook. That clearly isn't going to happen.

Anyways I wasn't going to take the bait but sometimes I can't help myself ,actions are what is needed there is more than enough hot air and voices already.To that point the much maligned and hated Tony Abbott (not sure why as he is a lifesaver and fire fighter for over 20 years ) spent a week in Arnhem land various parts every year, living with indigenous people to try and understand what was needed and to help put things into action.
Go Manly and Go Australia

I'm sure you do this sort of partisan prose on purpose SER8 ,to just get a few of us out of the blocks and a bit fired up when there is no footy on
Yes of course we need another level of bureaucracy filled with the likes of Pat Dodson and Lydia Thorp types and any other numerous hangers on and carpet baggers, to be the voice of Indigenous people ,,,not .
The government doesn't and hasn't listened to the current indigenous voices that told them to keep the Better Futures (I think a Gillard inititaive) and Cashless welfare card after they got in last year ,so what makes anyone think that another new shiny bloated government sink hole will be heard. Its just more useless symbolism and more cost for less result.
My fear is that the government will only hear the voices it wants to anyway , as in above making it totally superfluous . On top of that there is a real risk that this will turn out to be a lawyer and public servant super feast, as old Albo has taken the easy route and not even asked the Solicitor general or Attorney General for the various ramifications of changing the constitution.Thats all we need more useless to-ing and fro-ing legalese and court cases There are any number of Indigenous government organisations, not to mention the Minister herself and not to mention the members, state and federal in those electorates who are or should be the "voices" ,what is so hard to understand about that concept ?
The Cashless welfare card had many indigenous "voices" from all sides of the street saying what a good idea it had been, as it meant kids were eating and going to school etc ,yet despite all that the plug was pulled on it from nothing other that petty partisan politics ,and they let the Better Futures legislation sunset clause go thru as well
We are a blended country over the last 200 years made of many nations and migrants ,its time to act like a blended Nation and stop the constant undermining of what has got us here in the first place and be governed as one nation rather than constantly trying to divides us by race and gender and anything else that can help to marginalise and isolate people.
The Alice Springs and other areas need real action not expensive and ultimately unheard echo chambers
The people in Alice Springs need jobs and things to do thats where the money and actions should be going and they need more police at least untill the things are under control

Re The monarchy ,I'm no big fan of them what so ever and could care less really (in fact I detest the winger and the ginger, but have a modicum of respect for William and Kate ),but in the absence of a better system (which hasn't been put forth) and in light of how well over all the current system has served us I don't think I have seen anything to suggest we should dump the Monarchy. I mean I could think of nothing worse than King Peter and his Queen of Australia Lisa ,other than maybe Bonny Prince Mike Carlton of Newport (insert vomit emoji).

You forgot Australia day ,again if the date was changed who would be happy and unhappy ,some would never be happy and will never be happy until the country is back to where it was before Cook. That clearly isn't going to happen.

Anyways I wasn't going to take the bait but sometimes I can't help myself ,actions are what is needed there is more than enough hot air and voices already.To that point the much maligned and hated Tony Abbott (not sure why as he is a lifesaver and fire fighter for over 20 years ) spent a week in Arnhem land various parts every year, living with indigenous people to try and understand what was needed and to help put things into action.
Go Manly and Go Australia
Well said! mate. I suspect you will know this but based upon recent form I am doubtful SER8 will even read it properly as he will be more interested in finding a snippet to miss-frame to make it seem you are a radical of some sort… I hope I am wrong though:)

Well said! mate. I suspect you will know this but based upon recent form I am doubtful SER8 will even read it properly as he will be more interested in finding a snippet to miss-frame to make it seem you are a radical of some sort… I hope I am wrong though:)
Thanks RP I hope ur wrong too

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4