The Trolley Problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who will you save?

• 1 Baby

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 5 senior citizens

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
and you would make any boomer regret having a baby ...
Ok Boomer

You reek of an unearned sense of superiority, like a snob whose only living inside a house because mummy and daddy left it behind for you

Your intelligence is far surpassed by your vocabulary in a sense that your trying to make out your smart using big words but failing miserably, but alas behind the mask you sit and most luckily for one such as yourself, a keyboard or touch screen

I sense you have either far too many teeth for a mouth that thinks it's smart or deservedly you've lost them and the lessons that went along with losing them

Your jabs from behind whatever screen it is your hiding behind have come back to haunt you, you've found yourself outmatched and outgunned on every front, submit peon, before I embarrass you more

Ok Boomer

You reek of an unearned sense of superiority, like a snob whose only living inside a house because mummy and daddy left it behind for you

Your intelligence is far surpassed by your vocabulary in a sense that your trying to make out your smart using big words but failing miserably, but alas behind the mask you sit and most luckily for one such as yourself, a keyboard or touch screen

I sense you have either far too many teeth for a mouth that thinks it's smart or deservedly you've lost them and the lessons that went along with losing them

Your jabs from behind whatever screen it is your hiding behind have come back to haunt you, you've found yourself outmatched and outgunned on every front, submit peon, before I embarrass you more

Thank you for your psychological analysis .. happy to pay you what it is worth ...

However, in the mean time, I will just fondly remember my teens, being a small part of a huge social revolution, marching in Anti Vietnam moratorium marches, watching the girls burn their bras and basking in the peace and "free love baby" afterwards ... We had Woodstock, Dylan, Joplin, Led Zepellin, the stones .. and we watched a Man walk on the moon ..

while I'm doing that ... you young'ins try not to get too stressed trying to work out the correct pronoun to use so you don't offend anyone ...

I always find the views of the younger set of “ Boomers” quite interesting, many of them think we’ve inherited it all.

Let me explain some differences as I see them.

My wife and I were married quite young ( 19) and had diddly squat.

We worked and saved and were lucky enough to get out first house about 3 years later.

We had literally NOTHING in it.

My parents gave us a very old double bed that was no longer of use to them , and my Dad felt sorry for me and gave me his 20 year old beer fridge.

My wife’s parents had bugger all, but gave us a $49 laminex table with 4 chairs.

No tv , no washing machine ,no other furniture.

If friends wanted to stay they had to bring a blow up bed.

Then my wife got pregnant ( unplanned ) which threw a real willy into the plans with money set aside for furniture having to go to baby items.

It was 5 years before we were able to get anything else in the house ( a washing machine and TV).

Meanwhile I started my own business , with an unknown income ahead of us, and going into debt to do so facing the loss of our house if it didn’t work.

It was bloody hard in those early days , we never went out , our only entertainment was playing cards / games and the occasional BBQ with mates.

No new cars every two years , my 1973 Holden HQ wasn’t replaced until 1986.

We updated our old weatherboard house in 1986 and moved into an equally old brick home JUST in time to cop the 17% interest rates ( boy that was fun).

The first 20 years we were married we literally had bugger all , apart from each other , two beautiful daughters and an almost paid off house.

The next 20 years were spent accumulating for our retirement, yes the house prices were going up and so our equity was growing BUT we saved and saved and saved and didn’t have flash cars , nor the latest and greatest furniture and fittings in our by then 40 year old house.

And now I’m in the next 20 years ( 8 out of 20) where I can finally enjoy all the benefits of the hard work we put in for the previous 40 years.

Oh and by the way , as to inheriting millions , my father left all but a few thousand dollars to the middle brother as he was the only one interested in taking on the family business.

And my wife’s parents were pensioners renting a place to live when they passed away leaving about a $1000 to each grandchild.

We personally got NOTHING.

And now I’m called a “ Boomer **** “.

Compare this to the modern generation who want everything NOW.

They want what their parents toiled for 40 years to get WITHOUT THE HARD WORK.

Thankfully my two daughters don’t think like that , they both are working hard like we have to build for their own futures.

I don’t know what’s happened in your life @cherry_poppins to make you hate me for being a boomer , but don’t think all boomers were born with a silver spoon in their mouth because this one sure didn’t!!

I always find the views of the younger set of “ Boomers” quite interesting, many of them think we’ve inherited it all.

We worked and saved and were lucky enough to get out first house about 3 years later.

My parents gave us a very old double bed that was no longer of use to them , and my Dad felt sorry for me and gave me his 20 year old beer fridge.

My wife’s parents had bugger all, but gave us a $49 laminex table with 4 chairs.

Then my wife got pregnant ( unplanned ) which threw a real willy into the plans with money set aside for furniture having to go to baby items.

It was 5 years before we were able to get anything else in the house ( a washing machine and TV).

Meanwhile I started my own business , with an unknown income ahead of us, and going into debt to do so facing the loss of our house if it didn’t work.

It was bloody hard in those early days , we never went out , our only entertainment was playing cards / games and the occasional BBQ with mates.

We updated our old weatherboard house in 1986 and moved into an equally old brick home JUST in time to cop the 17% interest rates ( boy that was fun).

The first 20 years we were married we literally had bugger all , apart from each other , two beautiful daughters and an almost paid off house.

The next 20 years were spent accumulating for our retirement, yes the house prices were going up and so our equity was growing BUT we saved and saved and saved and didn’t have flash cars , nor the latest and greatest furniture and fittings in our by then 40 year old house.

And now I’m in the next 20 years ( 8 out of 20) where I can finally enjoy all the benefits of the hard work we put in for the previous 40 years.

Oh and by the way , as to inheriting millions , my father left all but a few thousand dollars to the middle brother as he was the only one interested in taking on the family business.

And my wife’s parents were pensioners renting a place to live when they passed away leaving about a $1000 to each grandchild.

Thankfully my two daughters don’t think like that , they both are working hard like we have to build for their own futures.

I don’t know what’s happened in your life @cherry_poppins to make you hate me for being a boomer , but don’t think all boomers were born with a silver spoon in their mouth because this one sure didn’t!!
I'm with ya Mark. I find the whole "ok Boomer" (or any related age group "tag") thing just a pureile throw away line that is meant to be somehow deeply cutting. And at the risk of turning this into a 4 Yorkshiremen sketch, I also just fall into the so called boomer age group and I grew up in govt housing (parents died with nothing), worked hard, saved hard, had some luck and can now live close enough to Brookie to enjoy (to varying degrees) watching Manly play footy. And I can now also help my child in life - am I supposed to feel bad about that??!! And is my child going to be ridiculed because I will leave her our house??!! I thought that's what families were supposed to do. You know ..... look after each other. What a strange world we live in!

Um yesterday didn't you say you just want to stick to talking footy!!!
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

Um yesterday didn't you say you just want to stick to talking footy!!!
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff
yeah but this is the general forum is it not ??

I just don’t want that on the footy forum.

Lol, fair enough. I never know what forum I'm in as I just go to 'New posts' !
Yeah no way I’d post that in the footy forum.

Sorry but it always pisses me off when I ( or in a general sense ) get lumbered with the “ Boomer **** “ moniker when I know how ****ing hard the early days were for us.

I might be living the dream now but boy oh boy it wasn’t easy to get here.

I might be living the dream now but boy oh boy it wasn’t easy to get here.
Yes I really felt for you having to keep your 1973 Holden until 1986 :giggle:
(I've never had a new car, currently drive a 2006 Falcon and no upgrade on the horizon) @:D
But I agree with your basic point (I think). Now if only the younger generations understood boomers as well as boomers understand the younger gens...:eek:

Yes I really felt for you having to keep your 1973 Holden until 1986 :giggle:
(I've never had a new car, currently drive a 2006 Falcon and no upgrade on the horizon) @:D
But I agree with your basic point (I think). Now if only the younger generations understood boomers as well as boomers understand the younger gens...:eek:
Funny but had I kept the V8 1973 Holden it would be worth a small fortune today.

But I had to sell it , 290,000 kms on the clock and it kept breaking down.

Oh and the 1986 car wasn’t new.

Maybe Mark loses his boomer card

The type that are disliked are those who won't give the younger generations a chance, talking **** about younger people incessantly and entirely incorrectly

These are the people who paid $20k for a house then bought 5 more, all on the back of inheritances they're completely against leaving behind like their parents did

They inherited enough to set them up for life, they got jobs from their parents friends and anyone outside that has no chance

They are uneducated, while a school certificate back in the day was required for any job with having now you need a uni degree and 5 years experience in tech that's only been out 2 years

These are gatekeepers, regardless I'd sacrifice the same amount of those my age for the life of a child, even my own life

Tend to think that any perception of the majority of Boomers being generally in the privileged or well of category to be a bit misplaced . And the majority also hardly having an easy time of it getting to their latter years with even some reasonable level of security and comfort . Maybe on the asset scale with housing values but then to down size or move into a retirement or nursing home , hardly a cheap option as well . Certainly would have to be a challenge for a newer generation with house prices now on average something like 8 to 10 times average earnings as opposed to 4 times a generation or two ago or past eras Most. really well off so called Boomers have been able to retire comfortably with large super balances or the result of years of building up successful businesses and disposing of them but again not the majority Probably the real beneficiaries in the equation are or will be the children of Boomers in many instances benefiting with valuable and very much appreciated [ no pun intended ] and increased house prices or other assets and passed on . Then seems to be or will be a very considerable increase in family squabbles and challenging wills and so on [ great for the legal profession and who could blame them cashing in ] ] and which i have certainly noticed occurring again in recent times on a not infrequent basis .

Funny but had I kept the V8 1973 Holden it would be worth a small fortune today.

But I had to sell it , 290,000 kms on the clock and it kept breaking down.

Oh and the 1986 car wasn’t new.
My bloody Falcon i mentioned yesterday...broke down today! Not totally, but overheated, lost coolant.
Gave it a drink after it cooled down and we managed to get home, 80km. About the first problem i've had with it in the 10 years I've had it, lol

Tend to think that any perception of the majority of Boomers being generally in the privileged or well of category to be a bit misplaced . And the majority also hardly having an easy time of it getting to their latter years with even some reasonable level of security and comfort . Maybe on the asset scale with housing values but then to down size or move into a retirement or nursing home , hardly a cheap option as well . Certainly would have to be a challenge for a newer generation with house prices now on average something like 8 to 10 times average earnings as opposed to 4 times a generation or two ago or past eras Most. really well off so called Boomers have been able to retire comfortably with large super balances or the result of years of building up successful businesses and disposing of them but again not the majority Probably the real beneficiaries in the equation are or will be the children of Boomers in many instances benefiting with valuable and very much appreciated [ no pun intended ] and increased house prices or other assets and passed on . Then seems to be or will be a very considerable increase in family squabbles and challenging wills and so on [ great for the legal profession and who could blame them cashing in ] ] and which i have certainly noticed occurring again in recent times on a not infrequent basis .
I'm gunna call it a gross Generationalisation ........ and put another ice pack on my aching "boomer" back after spending all day cleaning up the garden of my 17 th investment property. @;)

Last edited:

yeah but this is the general forum is it not ??

I just don’t want that on the footy forum.
And your story (or a variation of it) can be repeated countless times. I'm fed up with younger people feeling entitled. I recently retired early at 54 for 2 reasons: 1, I could afford it and 2, ( the main reason) I was over managing people who thought the world owes them a living and they could do their own thing. I had been managing people since I was 19 years of age and the last few years had become unbearable and I couldn't wait to get finished. Managing young people nowadays is like herding cats and you can only see it getting worse

And your story (or a variation of it) can be repeated countless times. I'm fed up with younger people feeling entitled. I recently retired early at 54 for 2 reasons: 1, I could afford it and 2, ( the main reason) I was over managing people who thought the world owes them a living and they could do their own thing. I had been managing people since I was 19 years of age and the last few years had become unbearable and I couldn't wait to get finished. Managing young people nowadays is like herding cats and you can only see it getting worse
And no doubt to retire at 54 you’ve worked your guts out, as did I.

Something this younger generation doesn’t know how to do, they just expect it to happen and if it doesn’t it’s the fault of the Boomers.

And no doubt to retire at 54 you’ve worked your guts out, as did I.

Something this younger generation doesn’t know how to do, they just expect it to happen and if it doesn’t it’s the fault of the Boomers.
For the first 20 years or so of my working life I probably worked 60-80 hours per week with maybe 2 X half days off a week (starting at 7 and working til 3ish on a half day) so yeah I put the hours in. Can't even recruit people now because everyone wants to be a you- tuber or be on love island or some other crappy TV show

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7