The Travel Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
The girl and I are currently in the contemplation stage of our next holiday. She has been toThailand before and loved it, and I have never been, so it looks as though thats where we might head. I have done a little bit of travel but thought I would ask you guys a couple of questions:

1 - Where have you been overseas?
2 - Out of those places, whats your absolute favourite?

I have been to England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, and Spain (2 months in Europe basically) and a flying trip to LA and Atlanta (10 days with work so didnt do a great deal of sighstseeing). Have also been to Fiji.

My absolute favourite would probably be Rome.

I guess it depends on what kind of holiday you want

For me a holiday is a chance to recharge and relax rather than a site seeing non stop mission.

My favourite place in the world is Fiji, but some places you may not have considered though you may actually really like is micronesia

Guam and Saipan they are American Territories that were fought over fairly heavily during world war 2. You can walk down some of the street and still see old tanks and bunkers by the side of the road. They are also tropical and really awesome

We stayed at the pacific island club which are massive club med style resorts but i think better. They have swim through aquairiums and everything.

you kind of get the best of both worlds a bit of history site seeing, tropical and hella relaxing!

Somewhere different too. I have been to both twice and were some of the best holidays I have had

I'm off to Thailand in November for my honeymoon, let me know when you are going Clon and i'll steer clear :)

haha, will do Fro. We are probably looking at July or August id say.

Might change that to November now though.

Have you been there before?

Dan, are Guam etc expensive?

Nah mate, havent been there before, thats one of the reasons we chose it, as neither have been there before.

furthest I have been is Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

Both nice especially Vanuatu, particularly if you just want to kick back, not for you if you want hustle and bustle.

it is more pricey than Thailand but I think worth it.
I have been to Thailand twice and i didnt enjoy itall that much. probably would enjoy it more now though

But yeah i really enjoyed the others. They are american so will be a bit pricey but the dollar is pretty strong at the moment

Yeah I loved Fiji for the same reason, very relaxing. This time around I want a bit of both though, a bit of chill and a bit of sightseeing.

Yeah we were thinking of escaping the Melbourne winter for a week or so as well. We were thinking Fiji or Noumea but I like the sound of going to Micronesia. Lucky for me the missus has a tourism industry card called the IATA card, which on occasion has like 50% off offers on some airfares and resorts.

Israel and Turkey are awesome places to go-a lot more relaxing than you might think, and boy do they have the whole historical sight seeing thing going on. Flights all the way over there are pretty exy though.

yeah micronesia is basically in the middle of Japan and the US hence why it was fought over so much. But was a real interesting place. Guam seemed bigger and more popular but they were both awesome places

Yeah Turkey etc too far away. Would have to be somewhere in the pacific or thereabouts.

Has anyone been to broome? Not overseas but it is an option.

My brother lived in broome and I have been there 3 times.

I loved it. But its more a blokes holiday.

Beer, fishing, beer, fishing..fishing and beer.

Its kind of relaxing but there isnt a whole lot there. If you want to go up for a boys weekend though count me in!

Yeah its on par with Fiji for airfare which is just ridiculous. the missus wants to go there but ill talk her out of it.

I spent 3 months in malaysia and highly recommed langkawi island for a cheap relaxing place to spend a week or so. Its located on the malay/thai border and has duty free alchohol, rooms around the $80 mark at the sheriton which has its own beach and about 3 pools etc for the full 5 star then you can also go a lot cheaper. Can spend a full day on a yaught travelling the islands and having your own beach, eagle feeding and bbq and grog included for about $60. Its also not a full on touristy when compared to phu ket.

As for Thailand spent 10 days there, The 1 place i highly recommed is Hellfire pass. Tonnes of history and some inspiring stories. Things like how the saleen drip was invented etc. Well worth a visit. I didnt mind Koh Samui but reakon Langkawi is far better and cheaper.

Also from Langkawi you can catch a ferry to Penang, takes about 2 hours and costs $15 or so. Great food there and some good markets. Big range of hotels but dont go there for water activities mostly too poluted. From there its a 3 hour coach ride to KL for about $20.

I cant relate them to Fiji etc as i havnt been but can say they are good and safe places for tourists.

most of those places are malaysia, not as cheap but not too bad but yeah thailand is rather cheap.

and if you bored you can always take the misses to a tiger show

Also from Langkawi you can catch a ferry to Penang, takes about 2 hours and costs $15 or so. Great food there and some good markets. Big range of hotels but dont go there for water activities mostly too poluted.

Is that just Penang thats water is polluted Fluffy?

Mainly yes. its swimmable on the north western side or at least it was when i was there but thats only really for a bit of jet skiing. Between the mainland and the island is a no go - not that theres anything to do really anyway.

Langkawi is fine, the water there is crystal clear.

Just had a quick check to make sure i wasnt out of touch with the prices, you can get a 2 night package for 560 rm (1 AUD = 2.83 rm) so $200 per room per night at the sheraton. Included is beakfast each morning and 1 free dinner.

A good place to look for deals is lastminute.com

Now you got me wanting to go back there, last time we set the grass roof of the beach bar on fire when we were shooting roman cnadles at eachother.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2