The Tom & Dylan switch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher
Every time Tom has been injured its been from running the ball back.

Why keep him running the ball back and risking his career? Running the ball back from the 10m line is a low value play that any bloke with a good running game and enough size can do effectively. No need to pay 1.1mn a year to let him sit on the sidelines after tearing a hammy running the ball back.

The solution: Tom ATTACKS in fullback, wears the '1' jersey (can still command 'fullback money') but Dylan DEFENDS at fullback, being back there for the 4th and 5th tackle and running the ball back and is clearly vocal enough to command the line.

This solution would be two fold - not just reducing tom's injury, but removing dylan from the front line as he has been suspect in defence at centre.

Lets hope Dessie sees this and does it. It was no wonder that Tom tore up at centre - he attacked as a second fullback... and the QLD Origin side is better than any other side Manly would be playing in the NRL Competition

Tom would be incentivised to do this as all of his rep duties for the next 5 years will be at centre (Teddy) so he can work on his defensive game as a centre whilst still chiming through up the middle in attack.

Sorry but disagree

Fullback is such an importantly position defensively in marshalling defense, anticipating play, diffusing attacking kicks, and those 1 on 1 last ditch tackles.

Tom is our best fullback and the second best fullback in the league, he stays were he is IMO.

If carrying the ball back is the issue (which I don't believe it itself it is) then simply get him to look to his wingers more often and tell them to get back there and take it off him when they can

So the solution is to put our worst defensive player and second most injury prone player in the most important defensive position on the field (where he has never played before) and keep paying overs for both him and tom? Hopefully des plays a fullback at fullback and premotes one of our many young centres who's not a fckwit off the field and can actually tackle to play centre. Next you wont want tom to make a line break in case he hurts himself. If tom isnt capable of the most fundamental fullback plays then he shouldnt be playing and the sooner our clubnparts ways with the crab walker the better. You must have had a big one for new years

He has done his hammies running ... not from physical contact .. not certain there is any difference running from centre as there is from fullback ... running and stepping from a standing start, or from half pace will occur in both positions .. running is running .. and hammies are hammies ..

Tom gets hurt running the ball back. Sucks, but as a wise man once said, you can get killed walking your doggie...

Sorry but disagree

Fullback is such an importantly position defensively in marshalling defense, anticipating play, diffusing attacking kicks, and those 1 on 1 last ditch tackles.

Tom is our best fullback and the second best fullback in the league, he stays were he is IMO.

If carrying the ball back is the issue (which I don't believe it itself it is) then simply get him to look to his wingers more often and tell them to get back there and take it off him when they can
I agree it is important defensively

I just strongly believe that he isn't needed back there for the 4th or 5th tackle option when running the ball back. Any player in our squad bar maybe garrick is strong enough to run the ball back and start our sets well. Every time he's done his hammy it is running the ball back with no contact - as many have said before, to do the same thing and expect different results is the definition of insanity. Making him run the ball back every play will mean he (likely, although I hope not) will stay the injury prone 1.1mn player he is.

Maybe keep him at fullback defensively for the first 3 tackles in the set, and then but him to the wing or swap him with Dylan for the 4th and 5th tackle in case of a kick.

Also I never said put him at centre in attack - fullback in attack stays as he is our most important player and the best lurker around the ruck in the game.

Simply reduce his injury probability by cutting the amount of times he runs the ball back out of the game. You don't need his flair to run the ball back - any bloke can do that.

Sorry but disagree

Again you can't just change positions in this day and age and expect a seamless swap. Hooker and half or 5/8 - maybe, Centre for a winger or vice versa - certainly possible, prop/middle backrow yes - anything else generally is just crazy talk. As you say Disco - lots of other issued involved with fullback than bringing the ball back

And what about the breaks that Tom makes when running the ball back because there is that extra time and space. He is a player of the highest quality, you play him where he can use his strengths and that is full back

Attachments

• Marlboro Green.jpg
    Marlboro Green.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4
Snake didn't run the ball back for the last 5 years or so of his career... its not an issue.. train with the wingers dropping back ready to accept the pass and thats that.. not the end of the world to have a fullback not throw himself into a brick wall every kick...

I think we really need an extra fullback in the squad.
I'd rather let Tom "rest on the wing for a while, swapping with say Tevita Funa.

Walker I can take or leave (mostly leave), but I'd be happy if both of them make the switch from the rehab unit to the run-on team.

I think you need to watch the replay on the match against the roosters last year. Tom won that match on his own by his defence on the 4th and 5th plays. Saved 2 certain tries with last ditch cover tackles on the edge and came up with another try saver on Luke Keary slapping the ball out as luke went to score. He was everywhere in defence, something i had never seen from him. Was having a cracking year. Big and strong.

He did his hammy twice straight after half time, and didn't stay on the bike keeping warm. He has such fast twitch fibers that don't like to get warmed up, then cool down then suddenly exploded again without a proper warm up. Im sure Manly will work it out. Needs to be at the back in defence and attack. Too important

I think you need to watch the replay on the match against the roosters last year. Tom won that match on his own by his defence on the 4th and 5th plays. Saved 2 certain tries with last ditch cover tackles on the edge and came up with another try saver on Luke Keary slapping the ball out as luke went to score. He was everywhere in defence, something i had never seen from him. Was having a cracking year. Big and strong.

He did his hammy twice straight after half time, and didn't stay on the bike keeping warm. He has such fast twitch fibers that don't like to get warmed up, then cool down then suddenly exploded again without a proper warm up. Im sure Manly will work it out. Needs to be at the back in defence and attack. Too important
His defence was snake esq

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4