The team that should be selected for rd 1 and why

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't be against Schuster filling in a fullback while Turbo's out and here's my reasoning.

Firstly, I think he could ease into the first grade a little at fullback. Not defending in the front line and getting used to the speed of NRL.

Secondly, the better fullbacks basically act as your wide playmaker, with 6 and 7 as first receiver either side of the ruck. Schuster could fill that role and being a bit wider would give him more time and space. When Turbo has been out before we haven't had a someone with playmaking ability to fill in there and, as a result, Jake has played first receiver with 6 and 7 playing wider. We've seen how predictable that has become so it may let Jake's passing game become more a point of difference than the norm.

Obvious drawbacks are he's an unknown quantity defending kicks and fullback is also crucial in organising the defensive line, but I think it's worth a shot for 2-3 weeks to see how it works. Assuming he's handling things ok he moves to 6 when Tommy's back.

IMO Harper is a better last line of defence than Funa who was a turnstile at times last year. Otherwise both safe in the air and both good with the football in hand. As most of us on here have already identified our right hand side needs some serious attention both in defence and attack. If that is not rectified soon then we are unlikely to have great success this year. Sirro was our most lethal back rower with the ball for a time but his game has regressed and the players outside of him are not getting any opportunities with the ball. There were numerous players given a run of Sunday that are not likely to make the 17 any time soon. Weekes and Schuster picked together against a near full strength Tigers side was a baptism of fire which was beyond Weekes at this stage of his career but Schuster faired well in these difficult circumstances and led the side with the football. Whilst Schuster's game was not perfect he stood out like a beacon in a soundly beaten team. He is definitely a top 17 player IMO.

Harper appears to be the guy to play fullback , His defence was good and he wil get more confidence especially if Des gives him the nod , Des got him from the dogs for a reason and has seen more of him than most of us .
Funa was ok there but plays better when he played centre,
Garrick was not convincing at fullback but better on the wing in his first year not so much last year ,
The squad of backs appears more of wingers and centres, So picking the best of one of them to play fullback is the challenge for Des

Think that our prop grouping or who may be selected against the Roosters should be able to hold their own and Jake most likely at 13 but the 2nd row seems a bit of a concern if Siro in particular is presently out of sorts and Jet Ski having some very indifferent form last season . [ but maybe a bit better now ] Even Davey and a fit Haumole there as starting back rowers maybe worth considering . While Foz is fit and able , should be able to provide some better direction and kicking options but again Schuster if not a super sub would be an asset if he did start somewhere and especially at 6 . Walker should still be up to it and ideally Suli can get a bit more forceful come i st game day . Garrick is a better goal kicker then Funa which may give him an edge and again the vexing question if Saab is slotted in as a winger first up . Harper should be able to handle full back duties and Croker and Cust look like our only 9 options for the early stages .

Looks like Walker and Garrick might start as the left side centre/wing, with Suli & Saab on the right. However I wouldn't mind seeing Funa get left wing ahead of Garrick. Either way we'll have all-new outside back combinations, so defensive cohesion could be a big problem early on.

Having said that I think our leaky outside defence in the trial was mostly due to the middle getting exposed. Cust at hooker was OK with the ball but not very convincing in defence. Croker must be the preferred 9 and if his defence is not right we'll be in deep trouble. Luckily tackling is his best quality, so fingers crossed.

Davey and Schu on the bench with Keppie and Aloiai, and we're ready to go.

Unlucky first up will be either Funa or Garrick, with Haumole, Boyle, Sippers getting their chance soon enough. While Turbo's missing, Harper has a great chance to stake his claim for a permanent spot somewhere in the backs.

The hooker needs to run forward to tackle thereby moving the whole defensive line forward, not waiting until the attacking player gets to him. I have the impression Croker is a decent tackler, but he waits for the player to get to him, which would bugger our defensive line speed.

As soon as there's a 6 again, forget about defensive line speed. We were very poor in that area last year and it's too big a hurdle to overcome. And we were just as bad in the trial!

A player who stood out in the trial was Davey who has a definite spot in the 17.....same mention to Aloiai who made an impact when things were soft in the middle.
Also as Snake states, Olakau'atu did suffer a calf injury, but I believe will be available for selection in round 1....does not mean he will get selected, but should be ok to go.

As soon as there's a 6 again, forget about defensive line speed. We were very poor in that area last year and it's too big a hurdle to overcome. And we were just as bad in the trial!
I find this 100% correct and to add more, after 10 -15 minutes, we seem to be off the pace even without a repeat set and this is exactly where the rot starts....is a MUST as the area of concern needing improvement.

I'm really pissed at Hasler for overlooking Guacamole, in his one appearance he was M.O.M. but for some reason Hasler refuses to give him a run, he'll ask for a release on compassionate grounds and tear us apart playing for another outfit, sadly I'm beginning to see the Hasler experiment as a bit of a failure, I had hoped for better but it seems if you're in then form means nothing but if you're not then Blacktown's the best you can hope for
yes I am just not sure what is going on. I have faith in Des so will wait to see what happens before I condemn him. But yes I thought/think he is a talent. Let's see what the first say 6 weeks bring

I find this 100% correct and to add more, after 10 -15 minutes, we seem to be off the pace even without a repeat set and this is exactly where the rot starts....is a MUST as the area of concern needing improvement.
Most pictures of the team training are in the gym pushing weights. Even though this sport requires strength and power, it is an 80 minute marathon each game. Unless they are doing a mountain of cardio and anaerobic work outside of the gym, they will struggle. I would be interested to see what the program looks like

Most pictures of the team training are in the gym pushing weights. Even though this sport requires strength and power, it is an 80 minute marathon each game. Unless they are doing a mountain of cardio and anaerobic work outside of the gym, they will struggle. I would be interested to see what the program looks like
In relation to the trial just a couple of factors...
The breakneck pace of the game, I think it's a safe bet that cardio and reduced body fat are high on the agenda of all teams and in fact, strength generally comes off this also and I have no doubt Tigers are up with, if not the fittest in the NRL at this early stage of year.
The 1 area Tigers usually start the season better than their opponents is the fitness always gives an edge....this edge also usually dissolves as the season progresses and they fall back to the pack and through it....Des has always been known for wanting big powerhouse troops who can bash the opposition into submission, thing is with the (New game), you can belt a bloke and win the contact, yet must release basically straight away and still lose the ground war, meaning the attcker is still first to his feet and those slick spines are already off and gone through the middle....scary stuff and where the Cam Murray, Radley types who are always quick off the ground defensively, have more advantage in keeping the middle solid.

Team I'd like to see...

1. Walker
2. Saab
3. Harper
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Shuster
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Cust
10. Tapau
11. Guacamole
12. Sironen
13. Jake
14. Aloiai
15. Keppie
16. Davey
17. Foran

Team I expect to see...

1. Funa
2. Garrick
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Parker
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloia
9. Croker
10. Tapau
11. Sironen
12. Davey
13. Jake
14. GoJetSki
15. Paseka
16. Keppie
17. Cust

Tuipoluto was defending outside Suli on the weekend ... when poor Parker our best defender had to do that he was made to look like a goose ... Tuppy faired no better ... I wouldn't read to much into that game by Tuppie ... he will go good ...

I would move Suli to the wing ... because heaven help the career of any poor bugger that is defending outside him ... let him hit up the kick returns and play a muscle game close to the line ..

I do know I would start Walker and Parker in the centres ....

Tuipoluto was defending outside Suli on the weekend ... when poor Parker our best defender had to do that he was made to look like a goose ... Tuppy faired no better ... I wouldn't read to much into that game by Tuppie ... he will go good ...

I would move Suli to the wing ... because heaven help the career of any poor bugger that is defending outside him ... let him hit up the kick returns and play a muscle game close to the line ..

I do know I would start Walker and Parker in the centres ....
I see Walker as a centre too but was not impressed with Funa at FB last year and think Walker would probably fit into the spine at FB better having played 6... Harper was impressive in his couple of games at centre last year and Suli is a unit at his best... Saab I have always rated and Funa has more upside then Garrick or Parker... we may miss Parkers defense but he is concussed half the time anyway and slow as a turtle on heroin...

Doesn't matter... team will probs look like last year with plug-ins to replace Thommo, Turbo, Levi and AFB...

Team I'd like to see...

1. Walker
2. Saab
3. Harper
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Shuster
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Cust
10. Tapau
11. Guacamole
12. Sironen
13. Jake
14. Aloiai
15. Keppie
16. Davey
17. Foran

Team I expect to see...

1. Funa
2. Garrick
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Parker
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Aloia
9. Croker
10. Tapau
11. Sironen
12. Davey
13. Jake
14. GoJetSki
15. Paseka
16. Keppie
17. Cust

What my team looks like after trial form, injuries and a few days of reflection ........

1. Harper
2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Taupau
11. Gosiewski
12. Sironen
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Schuster
15. Aloiai
16. Davey
17. Keppie

18. Olakau-atu

What this team looked like after trial form on Sunday and injuries

1. Harper
2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Schuster
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Taupau
11. Davey
12. Olakau-atu
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Foran
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Gosiewski

18. Sironen

What my team looks like after trial form, injuries and a few days of reflection ........

1. Harper
2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Taupau
11. Gosiewski
12. Sironen
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Schuster
15. Aloiai
16. Davey
17. Keppie

18. Olakau-atu

What this team looked like after trial form on Sunday and injuries

1. Harper
2. Saab
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Funa
6. Schuster
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Taupau
11. Davey
12. Olakau-atu
13. Jake T

BENCH:
14. Foran
15. Aloiai
16. Keppie
17. Gosiewski

18. Sironen
I like your top team except I'd bring in Olakau-atu over Keppie. Davey and Olakau-atu can both play middle if needed. Id rather Olakau-atu play middle than not get selected at all just to accommodate Keppie.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8