The sum of us: Rugby league hero Steve Mortimer proud of his son's gay union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wonder when we will see a current NRL player come out. I would assume there is probably a couple running around but would not feel comfortable doing so.

I wonder when we will see a current NRL player come out. I would assume there is probably a couple running around but would not feel comfortable doing so.
It is the same across all professional sport - how many out gay athletes are there? I would suggest no where near a representative amount

It is the same across all professional sport - how many out gay athletes are there? I would suggest no where near a representative amount

True, I cannot think of any in the aussie codes. Overseas I am not across but I recall that college gridiron player Michael Sam came out before the draft and did not go far. Hardly gives others the comfort to do the same. Many say he wasn't up to it but before he came out he was being talked up as a great NFL prospect.

I thought the Gay FL Jersey old mate wanted to buy would've been appropriate.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ud-of-his-sons-gay-union-20160325-gnr69i.html

I can not post the story but you would hope stories like this help league to keep moving this forward
Maybe one day we will see our whole team being gay and after a win they can have a big orgy in the dressing room after they sing the victory song and have showers together . We can even have team mates proposing before the game live on Fox . How wonderful it would be for a young good looking half back declaring his love for a fellow team leader brut prop forward . Great for team bonding like never before !!!
Anything is possible you know. Great for the game to keep it moving forward :)

Manly, again is unique here.

Big Ian Roberts was the very first professional sportsman, whilst still playing his sport, to come out in the world in 1995.:clap:

Takes a manly man to be secure enough to live his truth :)

images (2).jpg

True, I cannot think of any in the aussie codes. Overseas I am not across but I recall that college gridiron player Michael Sam came out before the draft and did not go far. Hardly gives others the comfort to do the same. Many say he wasn't up to it but before he came out he was being talked up as a great NFL prospect.
Funny you mention him as there is some controversy around him being drafted by a new club (and it means they will not have to be part of a pre season Tv show)

In 2006/8 4.4% of Australians in their 20s self-identified as homosexual. This increased to 5.7% in 2009/11. And it increased to 6.5% in 2012/14. That's almost a 50% increase in self-identified homosexuality rates in Australia in just six years! Where might we see this number settling?
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6...ustralians-are-gay-december-2014-201506020136

Are Aussies becoming progressively more homosexual, or is it becoming progressively safer to reveal the truth? Interestingly the rates are much lower for teenagers and decrease significantly the older the person becomes (after their 20s) - but the same trend of large increases in self-identification as homosexual exists in all age brackets.

Let's say reporting variances and changes are driven by safety issues (which seems likely). And if the population trend was represented in the player population (which seems reasonable), then you'd expect a couple of players would self-identify as homosexuals in each club's squad - if it wasn't for the extra safety risks for sportsmen of self-identifying as homosexual. And this number would likely seem set to rise, based on current trends. Yet we have no-one coming out across all clubs?

The treatment of Adam Goodes by boogans shows how intolerant many Australians are. And the price sportsmen pay for having the guts to speak their truth. Hatred arises from intolerance. Intolerance arises from insecurity. The secure have no difficulty accepting differences in self and others. We still have a lot of hateful, intolerant, insecure people right here in Australia.

On foxtel a commentator made a slight reference to a current player being gay. It was only a vague reference and the other commentator advised they move on.

On foxtel a commentator made a slight reference to a current player being gay. It was only a vague reference and the other commentator advised they move on.
Good - it is the right of every individual to have their privacy in such intimate matters @:cool:

I never understand why it is such an issue, unless a Player is out on the field pretending to have sex with a Cheergirl, his sexuality does not determine his athleticism.:confused:

Maybe one day we will see our whole team being gay and after a win they can have a big orgy in the dressing room after they sing the victory song and have showers together . We can even have team mates proposing before the game live on Fox . How wonderful it would be for a young good looking half back declaring his love for a fellow team leader brut prop forward . Great for team bonding like never before !!!
Anything is possible you know. Great for the game to keep it moving forward :)
wtf

Only if you think there is no issue with homophobia in today's world
I thoroughly dislike the term phobia. I don't like the lifestyles of many people such as drug addicts, alcoholics, etc etc but I don't have an unreasonable or unfounded fear of them. I leave them be to do their own thing as is their choice as an adult. I do however resent those who try and force "in your face" views because it suits their particular view of the world.

Let people follow their life choices with dignity, but please don't call me and others names that are just plain wrong because we happen to dislike how they live their lives. The world is full of different people and just because I don't approve does NOT mean I fear them in any way shape or form.

I thoroughly dislike the term phobia. I don't like the lifestyles of many people such as drug addicts, alcoholics, etc etc but I don't have an unreasonable or unfounded fear of them. I leave them be to do their own thing as is their choice as an adult. I do however resent those who try and force "in your face" views because it suits their particular view of the world.

Let people follow their life choices with dignity, but please don't call me and others names that are just plain wrong because we happen to dislike how they live their lives. The world is full of different people and just because I don't approve does NOT mean I fear them in any way shape or form.
I guess where we differ is the feeling of needing to approve someone's sexuality. I get this is a personnel topic for many people, all I want is acceptance for people regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2