The Silvertails Moniker debate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Re: The Silvertails Monicker debate

Duff link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=186598.msg318876#msg318876 date=1298948927]
Simply put silvertails is our unique selling point. Establishing a brand takes time and discpline

The question is does the club have ability to implement a strategic marketing plan

Unique is the the key word.

I've said it before but I'll repeat myself.
I don't think that the clubs should be trying to directly compete with each other. They should be looking to differentiate themselves from one another, create thei own niche.
Reality is that the majority of support is going to come from either geographic or family reasons. It's the small percentage that find their own way to a brand (this includes corporates) that will make their mind up due to, among other things, the persona of the club.

I don't think there is such thing as a negative persona. Just different ones.
The silvertails, arrogant, noone like us image is our persona. It appeals to some people and that is all any persona will. Parra has the Aussie Battler persona. This appeals to many people, maybe more than ours but it makes me almost revisit my lunch. That's just the way it is. Someone has to wear the black hat & why shouldn't it be us? We just need to make sure that the NRL realises that it makes us a vital part of their marketing. Something we can use to our benefit.
[/quote]

The only unique part about Manly these days is that we have our owners as major sponsors because no-one wanted to.  Russell Crowe sponsoring the rabbits.

The only problem is that silvertails, arrogant, elite persona appeals more to private school rugby union following, liberal voting w****rs who live in Mosman.  And they are not going to support league or Manly

Rugby league has always been the working man's game.  If you want to be elite then cancel the rugby league team and play polo on brookie oval each weekend in winter

We as a club have to appeal to as broad a cross section of the population as possible in order to survive and be attractive to a sponsors.  Elite or working class or joe average and his family - all are welcome.

Agreed Isz with the tribal thing.  I'd like to think the Club could put on a bar-b-cue for members to come together in a forum style meeting to put positive ideas before the board.  Leaving weapons at the door of course.  
And Duff, I mentioned that both bogans and elitists can coexist in a club.  Following a club is an internal thing with most people.  What attracts you is different from what attracts me I guess, but we're both committed to the 'club'.  Maybe that's what Penn means when he says stuff like 'dislike' and 'silvertail' in the one breath.  Where to position the club to take it forward is the thing.     

lsz link said:
BTW i would not suggest this is the only strategy. For LAM (local area marketing) a tribal theme would be appropriate.

Another great decision form the club - not giving lsz the marketing job.  Genius.  

Still waiting to hear back from my application.....you never know it has only been 6 months...

I agree tookey, the silvertails thing has never sat well with me. I love my club, but I feel it is a tryhard nouveau riche moniker, perpetrated by Roy masters. It lacks class, as do ferraris and the bull**** at yesterdays media launch. Give us a break. To be the silvertails let's our enemy define us.

Duff link said:
But that's their angle. We already have ours & it won't change. We just have to find a way to spin it to make it appealing to a certain demographic.

We have to face it. We're the bad guys & we always will be.
We have to make the \"dark side\" seem powerful, interesting, rebellious. That'll appeal to a lot of people who think the Bulldogs family club line seems a bit hokey & folksy, especially given who that club really is.

I'm hearing and agreeing with you loud and clear.
Whether our tail is silver or not; whether we've been there or not; that is the reality of other's perception and their nickname towards us. That nickname has been bred over thirty years. I personally think it is a good strategy to embrace it and spin it; to not shy away from it; to not try to distance ourselves from it... like a Brit can live with and cannot escape being a pom. We cannot escape silvertails. Most Manly supporters I know, from all demographics, like being called silvertails.
Most sponsors - personally I don't know what their thinking in sponsoring NRL teams - only market to its own fan base. (Are you going to buy a Pirtex something or other because it's on the front of a Parra jersey? I think they sell hoses) What's a hose company doing on the front of a jersey except maybe they love their team and feel a special with their name there.
Silvertails has evolved; silvertails is now established; it doesn't matter whether the club has got its crap together or is financially powerful. They have now stated this is who we are (and with silvertails it doesn't need much selling) and let's rally the troops, the supporters, and the sponsors to feel like we are a million or a billion bucks and feel good about yourself. Winning begins with the feeling and the intent.
So, all in all, I'm for it - giddiup :)

It all seems rather ad hoc for mine.  I wonder how much thought went into it, or is it just a throwaway line that admin have now latched onto and will use ad nauseum until it loses its effectiveness?

Captain i would buy pirtek because of Marcus Ambrose
Not for Parramatta but it fits them so well,the colours
are the same

I remember when I was a little fella and I asked my dad why we were called silvertails and he said " because people are jelous of our club" so I'm proud to support the mighty silvertails and always will be.  :)

There's being an actual Silvertail, and there's bleating your a Silvertail, but cannot actually pull being one off.

It's like a beggar coming up to you on the street, and giving YOU $5 bucks, and saying, "there you go you poor bastard".

Just doesn't look right.

As others have alluded to, Lowe just doesn't fit the Silvertails bill. Then again, like DSM5 suggested previously, that could be said of a lot of our management group.

Do Silvertails release articles, with Lowe and Penn in the pictoral with a title of "Sea Eagles' begging bowl" http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/clubs-begging-bowl/
really depict that we are the "Silvertails?"

Would a Silvertail organization ask members to pack memberships for free sandwiches?

It could go on. Facts are, suggesting your something your not, comes across as arrogant. In fact, it makes you look like a loser.

The slogan would be better received if it were, "we are on a coarse, to ensure we become The Mighty Silvertails once again some day soon".

Hell guys, I'm 6 foot 8 and play in the NHL as an enforcer. Just because I say it doesn't make it so.

We'll be making steps when we get some professionalism littered through the business right at the top. My changes would include CEO, marketing/advertising, Financial Controller, Management Recruitment, Sponsorship, Public Relations (both Internal / External), Sponsorship (did I say that already?). Look, coaching down we are fine.

It's those dinosaurs in management and on the board that are destroying us (and I applaud Elsegood and Taylor sitting there), but do they have their own mouth's, or do they just speak for someone else?

I have discussed this pretty heavily in other threads but here is how I envision the future of Silvertail.

Silvertail needs a complete overhaul. It needs a marketing revamp and rebranding. I will use an example within our own league, the Rabbitoh. The whole club collapsed, thanks to the work of new ownership it is swiftly being rebuilt into a symbol people want to be a part of. I see the white rabbit everywhere. Now I have no love for the bunnies, but I am jealous of what beign a member of Souths has become. Its easy to say its all Russell Crowe, the truth is he is a figure head for what is really being done by his business partners, a strong CEO, clever board and a great marketing and media campaign.

How does Silvertail go forward? The first step is to dispell the hatred enchanment. Don't let it be cool to hate a Silvertail. There will always be haters, but what you want is the common joe blow, kids looking for a team and the wider population to be drawn towards wanting to be a Silvertail. I have professed previously that Silvertail is the perfect set up to grow the identity of a "glamour club". Hard to do with a busted field but start promoting the image that we are rich and successful, I actually like the Ferrari and Limo in the shoot, you just need to feed a better line to the media than we like being hated. Tell them be an Eagles fan and you can be part of this.

Promote our successes. Which ones? Promote a winning culture to the media, we are the only team to win a Grand Final 5 decades in a row, 6 finals in a row, a plethora of Internation and State level players. Fullbacks are the headline players of the modern game, make sure every man and his dog knows we have the most prolific try scoring fullback in the game. Get Wolfman's face on every TV show out there. Remind females that Matt Ballin was the sexiest man in league and have him stand next to Kieren Foran in photo shoots, cause the kid is good looking.

Silvertail needs to be linked to success, a lifestyle the average person wants to be a part of and soem splash of glamour and a history of glamour. You want a guy in the middle of Bankstown to be proud to say I'm a Silvertail the way Rabbitohs fans wear their fandom like a badge of pride. It would take a massive overhaul of many aspects of the club, but not impossible.

ABZ.  Seems a shame that all this energy and enthusiasm is only read by us faithful. 

DSM5 link said:
ABZ.  Seems a shame that all this energy and enthusiasm is only read by us faithful. 

But DSM5, can the powers that be read this? Can they take it on board?

I hope so.

As I stated earlier, other clubs have taken the path of the conga line, everyone must love us. It's gone now.
The next wave is being part of the anti-establishment. We are the ones in the prime position to take advantage of that.
Look not backwards for the way forward, my bretheren. We must carve our own path. If that means we must take a risk. We must take a risk. What we need is the people capable of carving new ground.

Cronulla, Penrith, Saints & Parra can be the bastions of the middle ground. Souths, Doggies, Rooters & Tigers can be the new age clubs. We need to offer an alternative. It can be done but & that is BUT it HAS to be done. It won't just happen.

Eagles HQ, this is up to you. It is our time to offer an alternative to pandering & mediocrity. We are Manly. The one & only.

If anyone from the Sea Eagles is monitoring this, please let us know. We're all on the same team.

The media & marketing department should be shot for a start.. announcing on twitter "Our two club owners have haven the sponsorship space on the front of our Home & Away jerseys as we couldn't find a sponsor interested in the major sponsorship of the club, what do you think?"

Chip & Chase link said:
Organisations like these aren't going to link with an NRL side because the demographic of your average RL supporter is so far removed from their target market its not funny. How many Mercs do you see at Brookie on game day ? how many Argyle diamonds flashing in the sun on the hill ? how much Dom being quaffed in the Jane Try stand ? We'd be better off targeting Holden, Goldmark, VB and Travelodge.

Well yes if we are to assume that sponsorships are definitively targeting increased revenue from the people who watch RL games.

But to make myself a bit clearer, I am not advocating a campaign to secure a Western Australian diamond company as sponsor so that Manly fans will be convinced to buy diamonds and Brookie turns into fur coats and cocktail parties.

What I am saying is that at the moment we seem to have a suburban mentality and a scatter gun approach when it comes to sourcing a major sponsor.

The Silvertails moniker can be and should be the image that drives our brand promotion towards securing sponsorship from businesses that view themselves as the elite of their industry. They can be any industry type, just the pick of the crop.

Just catching up with posts from the last week and this one stands out as a beauty. Well done Captain, Ryan, Jatz and others for good suggestions. There is no doubt that 'silvertails' can be morphed from a contemptible and hated persona to one of prestige, desire and belonging. It may be, and I don't completely agree, a working class game but someone needs to be top of the pile and it might as well be us. Hell, it is us! We need some genuine marketers to plan and put a long-term strategy to ensure that the message is sold and understood.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10