The Sheridan Stand at the SCG and what it meant to me!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I started following Manly in the 1970s and in that era Manly were regular finalists and always a threat to win the premiership.

I started followng around 1975 and I got my first taste of the Sheridan Stand in 1976 when Manly battled the berries in the preliminary final and a Bozo drop goal decided an epic game and the rest is history as premiership 3 was won a week later against the Eels.

I love the pilgrimage to the SCG fo watch a match, knowing that the history of the ground, the great players to have played there in cricket, league, union, soccer and that most matches Manly played there were finals matches.

It was a golden era for our club and 1978 was the pinnacle of the era as I believe our bravest premiership was won where Manly had to endure 6 games in 3 weeks to clinch the premiership.

The Sheridan stand was the home for the Manly cheer squad and even though we were out numbered in the total crowd, we were most certainly the loudest. The epic battles with Parramatta in those semi finals coming back from the dead to force a replay and then storming home to win the replay is Manly folklore. The gutsy win against minor premiers Wests the next week set us up for a crack at the Grand final, where the team played the Sharks who had 2 weeks rest while Manly had endured 3 tough games in that time. the Grand final draw and then the replay where the Sharks were harpooned ensured that in the eyes of the 11 year old boy that I was a the time that my love for the club was permanent. What a premiership!!

I remember Lyall Robert who was the cheer leader and had the loudest voice Ive ever heard, it was defeaning! He would yell out the letters of M A N L Y and the whole squad would follow, the serenading of Super Max Krillich at every scrum, Who's Australias number 1 who plays for the best team? G R A H A M E A D I E were favourites of mine and the song that became folklore, Parra are whingers!!

The Sheridan stand was still around till the end of 1984 when they decided to pull her down and make a modern stand it was a sad day for me as I have so many amazing memories of stirring victories, premierships, life long friendships. Back then Manly had the largest cheer squad and were passionate fans.

It was a golden era for our club and I would love to hear about others memories of those great times!
sheridanpavilion-1909.jpg

This is a picture from early last century, it was actually known back then as the smokers stand.

So which one was the Shilling (a bob) stand? The 'bob' stand I guess. They rebuilt that one at North Sydney Oval. So confusing. Surely you could smoke in the bob stand.

Anyway in the 1978 grand final replay video that are a lot of Manly fans and flags in an old stand. Is that the Sheridan?

So which one was the Shilling (a bob) stand? The 'bob' stand I guess. They rebuilt that one at North Sydney Oval. So confusing. Surely you could smoke in the bob stand.

Anyway in the 1978 grand final replay video that are a lot of Manly fans and flags in an old stand. Is that the Sheridan?
The Bob stand was on the eastern side of the ground and later as you state relocated to North Sydney Oval. Our fans were in the Sheridan stand in the 1978 finals series. On Grand final day we were in the Bob stand and in the replay the Sheridan Stand.

The Bob stand basically use to be where the O’Reilly Stand is now. The Sheridan was the one behind the goal posts which Manly fans use to congregate in

I can share those memories of the 70's, including the best of all in 72 being the first premiership, although 78 was hard to beat, as a game.

My parents took my sister and I to every Manly "Match of the Day" at the SCG in the late 50's and 60's where we always sat in the Sheridan Stand.

It was usually played by the two highest ranked winners of the previous round.

My mother, bless her heart, insisted on bringing a packed lunch themed on our opponents; Eastern Suburbs = baked chicken etc, even pieces of rabbit against South's.

I preferred the games against Wests Magpies, where we could buy meat pies from the snack bar!

I can remember the ARL's first bit of marketing in one final, where the Manly team came out at the start of the game behind a large placard with a Seagull on it; allegedly supposed to be a Sea Eagle, but looked like a Seagull to me.

Thanks for the memories.

Here's a history of the SCG stands. Sheridan stand was gone by the time I first went to SCG

The Sheridan Stand getting the chop in 1985 - in the middle of a Shield game :oops:

Remember it well, and the 1978 finals series. I was 12 in 1978 and with a couple of mates we woulkd follow Manly around the Sydney suburban grounds, coming from the south side we would always look out for the Manly cheer squad and sit with them, it all culminated to the Sheridan Stand during the finals series. I remember the songs, G.R.A.H.A.M. E.A.D.I.E. to the tune of the Mickey Mouse song, Parra are wingers, Que sera sera whenever the game was beyong doubt. I can still picture the leader of the chants, he wore a number 2 Tom Mooney jersey.

I went to all the 78 finals except the 2 replays ( vs Eels and Sharks). I was 14 and travelled from SW Sydney with a schoolmate to the games. It was a real event. Lots of comraderie with us fans being led by Lyall Roberts (he was such a big fan, I wonder whatever happened to him?). In those days everyone had those crepe maroon and white streamers they used to sell outside the grounds.

Music was such a big part of the time too. I think Dragon's "Are you old enough?" was number one and the Grease soundtrack's "Summer Nights" was up there to...nostalgia is a killer!

They were wonderful times, Manly were absolutely brave throughout this series and deserved the title in spite of what Roy Masters might think. I was a little sad that Gibbsy and John Gray didn't play in the GF. They were an integral part of our success in 1978.

I was just a boy from the bush, to be in the stands with actual Manly fans after travelling down overnight on the train and then returning the next day on the day train ( 10 hours each way), just priceless.

To watch my hero’s Wombat and Igor, just priceless.

To walk into the SCG, wearing my Manly jumper , not knowing a soul but feeling a part of something special , yes just priceless!!

I sat in the Sheridan Stand many a time in the early 80's.
Was at the semi in '82 when we won 20 - 0. (Let's not talk about the GF)
Remember the old crepe paper streamers and the cut up newspaper showers whenever we'd score.

Great times.

The first GF I attended was 1970 when we got done by the Rabbits despite John Bucknall's best efforts. I mostly sat on the hill (78, 82) or on the benches around the Eastern side (72, 73, 76). But I was in the Sheridan stand for the 78 final vs Wests. That was a special game. Highlights: Alan Thompson dummying and cutting through for his try in front of us; Igor's suicidal hit on Dallas Donnelly from a tap restart after a penalty. That was a momentum turner late in the game and gave us enough juice to get over the line. It's wonderful what you can achieve if you are a total psychotic :)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8