The season taking shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Anyone who got 7 from 7 tipping this weekend needs to find a new career working in a tent with tarot cards or go fulltime with the bookies.

Looking at the results after 4 rounds:

- the Sharks have got very little and the 17-1 I got on them grabbing the wooden spoon is a possibility. I thought the Bunnies would give them a run and with so many players out Kimmorley's Kiddies should have clearly won it.

- Teams that look like they will really struggle are the Bunnies (no surprises there), Roosters (forwards with no depth), Canberra (a team of grafters but will rely on their youngsters), Penrith (Gower can't win every game for them) and Broncos (aging forwards). Warriors will show heart but I can't consider them a real threat. Melbourne have lost a lot of players and have bought poorly but will cause the odd upset.

- I know this is a Manly site but Joey Johns is clearly the best player in the comp. The Knights were expected to thrash the Warriors yet no Joey, no points. A chance if he is on the park.

- Saints have great strike power and well done in winning without Bailey & Ryles. Deep down I get the feeling that they are going to falter at the season's end. No justification for it, just a feeling.

- Parra on paper look like world beaters but just can't deliver. It looks like a repeat of last year with some strong wins and then an inglorious exit come finals time.

- Manly. I just don't know, but that was a very good win and on top of improving performances for 2 weeks. A possibility.

- Which brings us to the top teams. Bulldogs could still be the surprise. Tigers are in the hunt. But the standout is the Cowboys who are seriously a top title contender again with awesome strength and should be the favorites.

Early season form is usually no indication but the Cowboys look a big chance as they have depth, great half, five-eighth, hooker and fullback. They are unbeatable at home, have a strong pack and heaps of speed.

Who i think:

Top 4 contenders: Roosters, Cowboys, St George, Manly, Newcastle, Parramatta

Top 8 Contenders: Roosters, Cowboys, St George, Manly, Newcastle, Parramatta, Storm, Broncos, Penrith, Bulldogs, Wests

Wooden Spoon Contenders: Sharks, Canberra, Souths, Warriors, Storm Wests

I believe it'll pretty much be between Sharks, Canberra and Souths for the spoon!

Early season form is usually no indication but the Cowboys look a big chance as they have depth, great half, five-eighth, hooker and fullback. They are unbeatable at home, have a strong pack and heaps of speed.

Agreed that the Cowboys have a big chance but I wouldn't go as far as calling them unbeatable at home. The fact that we only went down to them by four points and still played pretty poorly indicates they aren't that unbeatable there.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6