The salary cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Every 2nd topic I read seems to question how we could be anywhere near the cap

In Lyon, Stewart, Stewart, Foran, Watmough, Kite and Matai, it is a fair assumption to think that those 7 guys would be taking up at least half of the cap at an average of around 300k each

So fitting 18 guys into the other half of the cap isn't easy, the average for those blokes would be around 116k per player, so it is quite easy to see why we would be around our cap limit when you toss guys like King, Ballin, Wolfman, Robertson etc into that group

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Every 2nd topic I read seems to question how we could be anywhere near the cap

In Lyon, Stewart, Stewart, Foran, Watmough, Kite and Matai, it is a fair assumption to think that those 7 guys would be taking up at least half of the cap at an average of around 300k each

So fitting 18 guys into the other half of the cap isn't easy, the average for those blokes would be around 116k per player, so it is quite easy to see why we would be around our cap limit when you toss guys like King, Ballin, Wolfman, Robertson etc into that group
You are kidding if Matai or Foran are on 300k a season unless you are talking about Kiwi dollars  ;D

Did you see the word average there ?

Foran will be easily above 300k, they would have had to have paid well to keep him. Matai will be somewhere between 225-250k. Some of those mentioned will be up around or over 400k as well

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Foran will be easily above 300k, they would have had to have paid well to keep him. Matai will be somewhere between 225-250k. Some of those mentioned will be up around or over 400k as well

Foran is not on 300k, he would be on a contract that might build to that over the next 4 years, but he would not be on that yet. Matai is on $225k from what I have heard.

Lyon and Choc would be on great coin, and Stewart(s) and Kite on reasonable money as well, but I doubt they use half the cap themselves.

Also do not gorget good old back loading etc which means the real value of contract might not be actually represented

Can you also go through the rosters for the two grand final squads,  Easts and Illawarra, and let us know if you think they are close to the cap limit? I'm sure we'd all be interested.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

I agree with the price for Matai but if as you say Foran is easily above 300k a year then that's why we have salary cap problems.

Cheers

Barry Hyland link said:
Can you also go through the rosters for the two grand final squads,  Easts and Illawarra, and let us know if you think they are close to the cap limit? I'm sure we'd all be interested.

At full strength our squad matches up to what they will put out next season

On Foran, he is a young guy with massive talent, and other clubs were making big plays at him, I have no doubt to secure him we would have to be paying good money

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6