The Rise of Salford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Salford were on the way towards relegation last year, and looked done and dusted. This year they are playing in the final against Wigan for a chance to play St Helens in the Superleague Grand Final. So what happened?

Consider two young Manly discards, neither given a look by Barrett last year, one shown the door just in time for him to help Salford escape relegation in 2018. The names? Jackson Hastings and Joey Lussick. Interesting?

Salford were on the way towards relegation last year, and looked done and dusted. This year they are playing in the final against Wigan for a chance to play St Helens in the Superleague Grand Final. So what happened?

Consider two young Manly discards, neither given a look by Barrett last year, one shown the door just in time for him to help Salford escape relegation in 2018. The names? Jackson Hastings and Joey Lussick. Interesting?
What you say is interesting,and best wishes to those boys, especially Hastings, as the UK obviously agrees with him, however, how would Fainu and Koroisau go against that lot over there?

Good for both of them if they are playing some good footy at that level in the Old Dart now , As for the wisdom of letting them both go in the circumstances here at that time , hard to disagree with that decision .

Hastings has his crack with us, but blew it

Maybe he has finally taken his wake up call
He also had a crack for a coach !!! A coach who in his wisdom refused to give the kid a go even when desperate for some X factor! A kid who probably got fed up being ignored & lost self belief & control! Love to have him under Des.....with what he’s done with Suli & others Hastings would be right up there. Perfect utility / bench man. Covers half, 5/8, hooker & fullback.....

Last edited:
He also had a crack for a coach !!! A coach who in his wisdom refused to give the kid a go even when desperate for some X factor! A kid who probably got fed up being ignored & lost self belief & control! Love to have him under Des.....with what he’s done with Suli & others Hastings would be right up there. Perfect utility / bench man. Covers half, 5/8, hooker & fullback.....

You are kidding yourself if you think Dessie would have put up with Hastings shiite ...... for one minute ....

A coach pissed him off from STG for being a serial goose ...

A coach pissed him off from Easts for being a serial goose ...

Barrett brought him back from exile in Woy Woy and gave him 4 chances ... 4 fukken chances ... all the numbnut had to do was keep his mouth shut and play footy .. but no ..... and then when he eventually pisses our Captain off once too often ......

A coach pisses him off from Manly for being a serial goose .....

But wait for it ..... if Dessie was here .....

... PSS ...FMD ....

You are kidding yourself if you think Dessie would have put up with Hastings shiite ...... for one minute ....

A coach pissed him off from STG for being a serial goose ...

A coach pissed him off from Easts for being a serial goose ...

Barrett brought him back from exile in Woy Woy and gave him 4 chances ... 4 fukken chances ... all the numbnut had to do was keep his mouth shut and play footy .. but no ..... and then when he eventually pisses our Captain off once too often ......

A coach pisses him off from Manly for being a serial goose .....

But wait for it ..... if Dessie was here .....

... PSS ...FMD ....

He’s since cone out and professed he didn’t exactly do the right thing whilst at Manly.

He seems to have grown up a fair bit since moving to the ESL.

I’m pleased for him, he’s got a natural talent.

I'm on hols in the UK at the moment & we just spent 5 nights in Manchester - 4 in the classier, canalside area of Salford Quays, 1 in the decidedly grubby area of Weaste (lord has a name ever suited an area more?) Lol.

We had the full Fawlty Towers experience in Weaste...never again!

Anyhoo, good on the Manly expats doing well for the Salford mob.

Trent Robinson goes alright with a clipboard. He let Maloney go because this kid was going to be the goods, then months later he couldn’t make the team because of his attitude

Not suggesting Hastings hasn't a behaviour issue...but not on the field. A good coach surely would have Hastings focussing on his football. And surely in the game, they don't have to like each other as long as they play well together. Barrett wouldn't give Hastings a chance to show his wares. Maybe if he had, Hastings attitude problem may have diminished. I would suggest its one of those situations where Barrett dug his heals in and denied Hastings his chance. And as I've said before, I got a sense that Barrett played favourites. Hastings attitude deteriorated, as it would with many young players who feel they aren't getting a chance to impress. We think he's grown up since going to Salford, but then he is holding a permanent position and no doubt that gives him confidence and makes him feel he belongs. Hastings had his problems, but I felt like so many issues with Barrett, he didn't know how to handle the situation. I just wonder how Des would have handled him, knowing how he has given Suli, Walker, Parker and several of the forwards a good sense of collective bonding.

I am not sure what to make of the press around Hastings but would have loved to have seen him given more of a shot at it last year to see how things went.

Not privy to all that was going on but am pretty sure that if it was Des, we wouldn't have seen half of the issues that came up.

A coach who in his wisdom refused to give the kid a go even when desperate for some X factor! A kid who probably got fed up being ignored & lost self belief & control! Love to have him under Des.....with what he’s done with Suli & others Hastings would be right up there. Perfect utility / bench man. Covers half, 5/8, hooker & fullback.....
Spot on, couldn't have worded it better myself. I don't think he was given enough of an opportunity and a struggling coach made matters worse for him.

Good on him for turning his footy career around!

Barrett goes to Woy Woy and brings the kid back to the NRL after 2 clubs piss him off ... despite his unquestioned talent ....

Barrett brings him into the top 30 ... only to have Hastings fukk up .... sends him back to reggies to think again .....

Barrett brings him back into the squad .... only to have reports of player disruption .... Hastings admits problems ... sends him back to reggies to think again ....

Barrett brings him back to the squad .... employs a councillor ... only to have Hastings fuk up again ... Hastings again admits problems .... sends him back to reggies to think again ....

Barrett again gives him a 4th chance ..... Brings him back into the squad ... takes him to Gladstone .... only to have Hastings upset the normally restrained Captain DCE to the point he goes troppo ..... Barrett says enough is enough .....

..... and .... wait for it ..... apparently Barrett didn't give him a chance .......

What the hell cordial are some of you drinking ....

There’s a myriad of reasons and you can apportion blame to whoever you like but the NRL is littered with players that didn’t realise when they walked into the Last Chance Saloon.
Hastings has admitted he could have done things differently here and good luck to him for killing it in England.
Suli had a breakout season after he was about to walk through the door.
Some realise earlier than others and/or circumstances dictate which path they take.

Barrett goes to Woy Woy and brings the kid back to the NRL after 2 clubs piss him off ... despite his unquestioned talent ....

Barrett brings him into the top 30 ... only to have Hastings fukk up .... sends him back to reggies to think again .....

Barrett brings him back into the squad .... only to have reports of player disruption .... Hastings admits problems ... sends him back to reggies to think again ....

Barrett brings him back to the squad .... employs a councillor ... only to have Hastings fuk up again ... Hastings again admits problems .... sends him back to reggies to think again ....

Barrett again gives him a 4th chance ..... Brings him back into the squad ... takes him to Gladstone .... only to have Hastings upset the normally restrained Captain DCE to the point he goes troppo ..... Barrett says enough is enough .....

..... and .... wait for it ..... apparently Barrett didn't give him a chance .......

What the hell cordial are some of you drinking ....

I have no doubt that Hastings stuffed up though we have never been fully informed as to what that was. Did he break the law, did he punch a sponsor out, did he have film of some lewd behaviour? OK, he had trouble fitting in. That happens a lot. Ask DCE. A sensible coach will try to address these issues. Look at Suli. Also kicked out of clubs for attitude issues. Yet under Hasler he's becoming a star. Thing is Hastings didn't seem to do anything really serious, just was somewhat petulant. But you know, I've got a lot of time for the kid. He obviously felt an outsider, probably poor self image etc whatever. But given the right opportunities and a feeling of belonging, he's going gangbusters in England. He just wanted a chance to prove his worth and Barrett continually denied him that because of a personality issue and his own inflexible attitude to the game. I've been in situations like that. I remember one person who I considered arrogant, unfriendly, a personality needing a major gear shift. And I said that to them. But I respected that persons talent and when a role came up that I knew that person was good at, I actually pushed for that person to get the job. And that person did it well and thrived. Personalities are always complex issues, but you must never forget what you have the person there for. In professional situations you pick the person best suited to the job. Personalities are secondary factors to deal with later. Hastings was there to play football, not to be liked.

And I will point one issue that really impressed me about the kid. He publicly admitted that he had been wrong and put himself down for his behaviour. That took a lot of courage and insight in my opinion. Did we ever hear that from Barrett? Takes two to tango as they say. Hastings took responsibility for his actions. Sure maybe he should have looked in the mirror earlier, but who knows what was going through his head at the time. Barrett never did but blamed others for his plight.

I have no doubt that Hastings stuffed up though we have never been fully informed as to what that was. Did he break the law, did he punch a sponsor out, did he have film of some lewd behaviour? OK, he had trouble fitting in. That happens a lot. Ask DCE. A sensible coach will try to address these issues. Look at Suli. Also kicked out of clubs for attitude issues. Yet under Hasler he's becoming a star. Thing is Hastings didn't seem to do anything really serious, just was somewhat petulant. But you know, I've got a lot of time for the kid. He obviously felt an outsider, probably poor self image etc whatever. But given the right opportunities and a feeling of belonging, he's going gangbusters in England. He just wanted a chance to prove his worth and Barrett continually denied him that because of a personality issue and his own inflexible attitude to the game. I've been in situations like that. I remember one person who I considered arrogant, unfriendly, a personality needing a major gear shift. And I said that to them. But I respected that persons talent and when a role came up that I knew that person was good at, I actually pushed for that person to get the job. And that person did it well and thrived. Personalities are always complex issues, but you must never forget what you have the person there for. In professional situations you pick the person best suited to the job. Personalities are secondary factors to deal with later. Hastings was there to play football, not to be liked.

And I will point one issue that really impressed me about the kid. He publicly admitted that he had been wrong and put himself down for his behaviour. That took a lot of courage and insight in my opinion. Did we ever hear that from Barrett? Takes two to tango as they say. Hastings took responsibility for his actions. Sure maybe he should have looked in the mirror earlier, but who knows what was going through his head at the time. Barrett never did but blamed others for his plight.

I suspect that a major part of why he’s doing well in England is distance from his enablers - and by that, I reckon primarily his mum. She is very much the “my angel isn’t the problem, it’s everyone else” type, and overly ready to shout from the rooftops in his defence at the slightest hint of Jackson being in trouble. Being forced to make his own way in the world seems to be working out well for him - without mumma bear stepping in and telling him he’s always in the right, it’s likely young Jackson is learning some valuable lessons about how to negotiate all sorts of situations without getting everyone around him offside. Good on him and I hope it continues.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6