The Refs, Des ,choc , the rub of the green, and history

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The rub of the green seems to go with opposing sides more often than not these days,and in a perfect world that shouldn't happen.But perfect worlds are for story books and dreams, and out of all the worlds the NRL is about the least perfect world about

We keep hearing that the "refs are only human" and fair enough too. They make mistakes. But as we are all human we all feel resentment , anxiety, hostility as well and some of it is subconscious and sometimes we act subconsciously even against our better judgement

Manly over the last 15 or 20  years have systematically made it tough on the Refs and rightfully so.You have to push the envelope. Bob Fulton and his comments about the now referee coach Bill harrigan just wont go away about the cement truck. When toovey was playing , most games i thought he was trying to take flight with his arms up and down at every play the ball, the only thing keeping him grounded was the backpressure he built up gobbing off at them

Then we have Des who has try to retire every Ref in the game, get them glasses, insult there intelligence at every press conference and rarely takes the blame for any loss on the chin. I hate watching it . Choc is always in the refs face demonstarting to the point that he is doing the team more harm than good. The game is full of stats and its not lost on the Refs that manly has been one of the most penalised teams for yonks and they don't seem to want to fix it

Manly have an image problem where it counts and they need to rectify it as part of the process of going forward.There is a certain arrogance or disdain about the refs when they adjudicate Manly games and to be honest can you blame them. They know they are going to be tested, abused and made the scapegoat , almost no matter what.
This kind of reminds me of the which came first the chicken or the egg. Did Manly start it or did the Refs but there is no doubt the Manly club has been at war with the adjudicators like no other team i can recall. Surely there are better battles to fight

Have we become bad sports

In saying that i really feel sorry for the way Jamie was treated yesterday. No respect whatsoever. Its not his fault but its baggage he has to carry im afraid. This everyone is against us attitude that Manly has built up is getting very tedious. The glass is half empty stuff and maybe its reflected elsewhere as well

Its not e perfect world but its the real world

PS every second week Des wants a REF dropped for making 3 errors but wont drop his own player for making 6. He keeps loyalty and solidarity in the people he thinks can do the job best and wont promote a youngster, but expects the team of Refs to operate differently

Maybe the Ref boss doesnt like promoting youngsters either. Surely they have common ground here

we got beat by 16,not two.i am a bit tired of the refs stuff.every side cops it both ways.need to just toghen up and get on with it.how a team reacts to adversity gives you a true insight.in 08 we shrigged it off.today due to the lack of experience in key areas we find it harder to fight back.learn from yesterday and get on with it.

susan link said:
we got beat by 16,not two.i am a bit tired of the refs stuff.every side cops it both ways.need to just toghen up and get on with it.how a team reacts to adversity gives you a true insight.in 08 we shrigged it off.today due to the lack of experience in key areas we find it harder to fight back.learn from yesterday and get on with it.

Well said.

But the refs **** me no end, even when it goes our way I hate poor decisions eg Glenn Stewart should of been sent off yesterday.

The ref's did not cost us yesterday's game. We simply weren't good enough to convert the 1st half domination into points. When we tired in the 2nd half we couldn't match their speed.

Maybe we could kill two birds with one stone.

Does anyone have a cement truck?

Could we get that person to sponsor the side next year so that any bad decisions come our way we could play the revving of the engine over the PA system to the refs during the game?

eagle-rock08 link said:
Could we get that person to sponsor the side next year so that any bad decisions come our way we could play the revving of the engine over the PA system to the refs during the game?

Gold - Surely as a property developer Delmege would have access to one!

jbb/james link said:
The rub of the green seems to go with opposing sides more often than not these days,and in a perfect world that shouldn't happen.But perfect worlds are for story books and dreams, and out of all the worlds the NRL is about the least perfect world about

We keep hearing that the \"refs are only human\" and fair enough too. They make mistakes. But as we are all human we all feel resentment , anxiety, hostility as well and some of it is subconscious and sometimes we act subconsciously even against our better judgement

Manly over the last 15 or 20  years have systematically made it tough on the Refs and rightfully so.You have to push the envelope. Bob Fulton and his comments about the now referee coach Bill harrigan just wont go away about the cement truck. When toovey was playing , most games i thought he was trying to take flight with his arms up and down at every play the ball, the only thing keeping him grounded was the backpressure he built up gobbing off at them

Then we have Des who has try to retire every Ref in the game, get them glasses, insult there intelligence at every press conference and rarely takes the blame for any loss on the chin. I hate watching it . Choc is always in the refs face demonstarting to the point that he is doing the team more harm than good. The game is full of stats and its not lost on the Refs that manly has been one of the most penalised teams for yonks and they don't seem to want to fix it

Manly have an image problem where it counts and they need to rectify it as part of the process of going forward.There is a certain arrogance or disdain about the refs when they adjudicate Manly games and to be honest can you blame them. They know they are going to be tested, abused and made the scapegoat , almost no matter what.
This kind of reminds me of the which came first the chicken or the egg. Did Manly start it or did the Refs but there is no doubt the Manly club has been at war with the adjudicators like no other team i can recall. Surely there are better battles to fight

Have we become bad sports

In saying that i really feel sorry for the way Jamie was treated yesterday. No respect whatsoever. Its not his fault but its baggage he has to carry im afraid. This everyone is against us attitude that Manly has built up is getting very tedious. The glass is half empty stuff and maybe its reflected elsewhere as well

Its not e perfect world but its the real world

Pretty good points James.Good bit of reality check.

Des blaming the refs has become a real bore. I don't think that I have ever heard him say that his team were beaten by a better team. Geez, even Mick Malthouse in the AFL is not so much of a broken record.

If his players are never held accountable, then we can't be surprised that they are so inconsistent and lazy...

Des blaming the refs has become a real bore. I don't think that I have ever heard him say that his team were beaten by a better team. Geez, even Mick Malthouse in the AFL is not so much of a broken record.

If his players are never held accountable, then we can't be surprised that they are so inconsistent and lazy...

Are you guys f**king serious?

We were robbed yesterday. The Roosters fans should be embarrassed to have received such charity.

An 8 point try awarded on a no try? That's not a mistake, that's cheating. After that it became obvious we weren't going to win because that wasn't the plan. I gave up & I'm sure the players in the back of their mind did too. That's why the Roosters put points on us. We were on a hiding, what's the point. I didn't bother watching most of the 2nd half, I just paced around the SFS in a rage at being cheated.

I really thought this was an opportunity for Des to spend the $10,000.00.
Why should we look in on ourselves when it's us that are being wronged?

Duff link said:

We were robbed yesterday. The Roosters fans should be embarrassed to have received such charity.

An 8 point try awarded on a no try? That's not a mistake, that's cheating. After that it became obvious we weren't going to win because that wasn't the plan. I gave up & I'm sure the players in the back of their mind did too. That's why the Roosters put points on us. We were on a hiding, what's the point. I didn't bother watching most of the 2nd half, I just paced around the SFS in a rage at being cheated.

There are none so blind as those that don't want to see. We were lucky that the Roosters took their foot off the accelerator once they led 30-14

Moops link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=184932.msg288669#msg288669 date=1283138342]

There are none so blind as those that don't want to see. We were lucky that the Roosters took their foot off the accelerator once they led 30-14
[/quote]

So Matai wasn't tackled without the ball & the hit on Kite didn't warrant a send off?

Talk about blindness. It was blatant.

Even in jbb's original post, he admits we get screwed. I just don't see how the fault can pointed at the victims. If Manly were treated better, we'd have no cause to whinge.

Interesting point of view jbb. I see where your coming from and i agree we have an attitude problem with refs. Not all the players do but some take it too far. I'd have to say though that Lyon is the best person in our team to deal with the refs. He doesn't often get flustered and never gets hot headed with the refs, so at least that is moving in the right direction.

I will say though that the 8 point try was the major changing point in the match yesterday. If it's a no try penalty to us (which it should have been), we are on the attack again and all the moment is with us still, but all of a sudden they are level with us and ended up steamrolling us. I believe we would have gone on with the game had we been given the penalty. Only my opinion though.

i agree we got screwed, yes we did, very nice job in fact. The point im trying to raise is similar to "the boy who cried wolf "i suppose. I bet Manly as a club has been a major talking point at referee meetings for years. Now im not saying they cheat but the refs go in with a pre determined idea that we are serial offenders and as a result dont get the respect we should

Its kind of like 2 head high tackles, 1 from mattai and one from beaver. Who has the better chance of escaping the refs ire.Not the judiciary but the refs on field. It shouldnt matter but we all know it does

Jamie Lyon and Jason king are a great start but weekly press conferences blaming the ref are not. against the dragons and the roosters we were very hard done by, but people have stopped listening to us by then as its the same old record over and over.

Got to save your favours for the big ones

Moops link said:

I like Des' comments, they are honest and normally straight down the line. I find the constant sniping at Hasler on here far more of a bore than his post match comments

Des wandering into a press conference and giving individual players a toweling up would be dumb and not achieve a thing within the squad

I can't say I blame Des for whinging about the refs but from what was written in the paper he didn't really seem to be. How that was ever a try is beyond me, Matai was blatantly tackled without the ball and even if it didn't effect the play it's clearly illegal and should have been a penalty to us on the attacking 20. If it was a decision by the onfield ref I could live with that but once again it's the video ref who can look at several replays. If it wasn't for the possibility of an eight point try I doubt it would have been given.

John Lang kept quiet for ages and look how it turned out for them they got as many dodgy calls against them as us. My brother is a Roosters fan and even he said we get the majority if Bulls**t calls. It was only 2 weeks ago that the same thing happened with Gasnier. Problem now is that even Des has realised that saying something doesnt make a difference. Finch is incompetent and dont even get me started about Harrigan he is outright biased. Injuries is what has killed us off we are only making up numbers, however i dont get annoyed with our players cause you can see apart from 1 or 2 at most our blokes are playing their backsides off and doing it half busted, so when these ridiculous calls go against us naturally we are going to blow up. F*** the refs. 

I was expecting mention of controversial circumstances of the Rooster turn around but heard next to nothing.

Interesting listening to Bill Harrigan tonight on Talkin' sport who agreed that Manly should have received a penalty for the Matai tackle.

It's not about making excuses it is just another example of a team being crueled by poor decisions.

The SundayTelegraph survey results published yesterday reported that of the nearly 7,000 responses they had 80.3% answered Yes to the question Do you fear a refereeing decision could cost your team in the finals? - This is a damming statistic

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6