[Resurrected] The Penny has dropped from a great height!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Funny, every article I have read has Manly and Melbourne the most successful modern era teams and one of those had to cheat to do so.

Actually the team that played the most grand finals since 2000 is Sydney City. Guess why.

Funny, every article I have read has Manly and Melbourne the most successful modern era teams and one of those had to cheat to do so.
Based largely on Easts making 7 grand finals and winning two. Us and Storm 4gf's for two wins.

We have definately recruited plenty of players over the last 5 years from other areas but as I thought I explained , hardly any at all have become 1st graders least of all rep players. I know you can recruit less when you have a great team , that is obvious ,but if you were appointed recruitment officer 5 years ago would you say that you will not unearth anyone? Melbourne have done it and that is why they are still doing well . As for Easts being below us on the table ,so what ?, they have spent many years below us on the table but are the most successful club of the NRL era last time I saw an article on the topic. If you think Easts position on the table now is a reflection of their talent or recruitment or future we are on a different page because they probably care more about the future than the odd season in limbo.
Good posts here @Enigma
The last few years have been a combination of back ended deals, retaining aging stars and adding budget priced potential NRL players (long shots)
Our recruitment has fallen away, which I guess is why Bozo was enlisted on a full time basis. Short term he has tried to plug some holes with Lewis, Myles etc, who have been a let down. Seriously, I think we all thought they would perform better. recruits such as Parcell, Tapau, Api, Lussick and Walker have been excellent for long term. Bozo has been around the game way to long not to have a long term junior nurture and up and coming youth policy. Yes he may initially plug some holes from time to time withy journeymen, but the long term approach will take time to develop
Like many of the punters, the coaching part is a worry atm. Really not sure Trent can be the right man at the right time. I think we needed somebody a bit more seasoned and respected...and disciplinarian.
Anyway, injuries and aging bodies have ruined our year realistically. We never really had a chance...but nor have too many of the guys coming in, put their hand up to take ownership of starting spots
Bring the damn hooped jerseys back ffs, at least they will look like Manly premiership winning sides. Next year fellas

Last edited:
I recognise that back ended contracts are another factor

Most of these are from another era or local juniors who are here anyway. Hiku is one of the few from the last five years recruited from other area and that is my simple point. If we didn't recruit the Stewarts , Matai , Joe , Wolf , Trex , Lyon , Ballin, DCE , Robbo, who were virtual unkowns mostly from OTHER areas we win nothing and Hasler gets the sack. We have not had remotely the same success in recruiting unknowns in the last 5 years and it shows. The equivalent from the last five years are either reserve graders at other clubs or whatever. The recruitment in the last 5 is clearly dismal. Watching Easts the other day I could see plenty of talent that they recruited recently that we missed out on.
Not entirely true. We let some very good recruits go. Gutho & Hiku etc to pay for some sheite bozo signings.

if you were appointed recruitment officer 5 years ago would you say that you will not unearth anyone? Melbourne have done it and that is why they are still doing well .
They are still doing well because Smith and Cronk are still playing at close to their peak.

It's simple people the players we had between 2008 to 2013 were either local juniors or grew up on the northern beaches they bled manly.The majority we have now bleed money unfortunately.

It's simple people the players we had between 2008 to 2013 were either local juniors or grew up on the northern beaches they bled manly.The majority we have now bleed money unfortunately.
Steve bell, josh perry, mark Bryant, robbo, wolf man, Glenn hall, Heath Le strange, Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon, Brent kite, Matt ballin, joe g , T. rex, George rose , Shane Rodney might feel differently

Players recruited to manly since 2010. At the risk of wasting my time and being awarded a dummy , has any other club recruited so poorly over this period? 2010 Joe Galuvao ( great but long gone), Matt Cross, Rodney moefaauo, Terrence Seu Seu,
2011 Liam Foran, Daniel Harrison, Tim Robinson,
2012 Nick Skinner, Ben Farrar, Liam Roach
2013 Michael Chee Kam, Dane Chisolm,Richie Faoso, Jacob Gagan, Justin Horo, Peta Hiku, Ligi Sao, Brenton Lawrence, Kayne Lawton, Justin Lemalu,
2014 Cheyse Blair, Josh Starling Delroy Berryman, Jayden Hodges, Tyson Andrews, Dunamis Lui, Jack Littlejohn, Mark O'dare, Mania Rudolf.
No doubt all these players tried their best but even though I can see a few names missing, where are the players to take us anywhere near a grand final?

Steve bell, josh perry, mark Bryant, robbo, wolf man, Glenn hall, Heath Le strange, Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon, Brent kite, Matt ballin, joe g , T. rex, George rose , Shane Rodney might feel differently
Snake and Gift aren't locals either.

Players recruited to manly since 2010. At the risk of wasting my time and being awarded a dummy , has any other club recruited so poorly over this period?

....where are the players to take us anywhere near a grand final?
What?? We did make the grand final in 2013! And 2011 too. And missed the minor premiership by a whisker in 2014.
It's fine to say we haven't recruited quality but who else could we have recruited, given so much of our cap was taken up with our core of champions?

They would not be leading the comp with 5 years of poor recruitment
No, I agree. But their recruitment looks good because they could introduce their recruits bit by bit to an established team.
That worked for us too, until it came unstuck late in 2014. Now we no longer have the established team to which we add the rookies and journeymen...we are starting over.

No, I agree. But their recruitment looks good because they could introduce their recruits bit by bit to an established team.
That worked for us too, until it came unstuck late in 2014. Now we no longer have the established team to which we add the rookies and journeymen...we are starting over.
And add with Storm.... "bit by bit to an established team" with an established and unchanged coach.

Easy to recruit good like the storm when you don't worry about the salary cap.

Whilst smith and cronk remain they are still living off salary cap cheating benefits and are still cheats. They would never have kept both in the early days had they not cheated simple as that.

Would Akuila Uate qualify as a good recruitment ? seems he might be on the radar

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...hts-for-manly-sea-eagles-20160823-gqzh3p.html

Don't you just love "journo's".

The second paragraph "....and Manly loom as a possible option"

Possible option? Aren't all clubs anywhere a possible option?
FFS, there is not even a comment from anyone even remotely connected to Manly in that article.

Sure he probably, possibly, maybe, feasibly, conceivably, could be
an option perchance but how much does each club want it happen?
Perhaps?

What?? We did make the grand final in 2013! And 2011 too. And missed the minor premiership by a whisker in 2014.
It's fine to say we haven't recruited quality but who else could we have recruited, given so much of our cap was taken up with our core of champions?
Making the GF in 2013 is clearly based on recruiting players before 2010. I am talking about the position Trent Barrett was in when he looked at his roster in 2014. Look up the team in 2014 and see for yourself. Trouble with this forum is often people are not responding to what you say but would they would like you to have said. It is quite simple , despite salary cap restrictions , our recruitment has been diabolical and it is a major factor in the poor couple of years we have had. If this was your track record of recruitment would you expect to keep your job? % success rate in recruitment over this period would have to be the lowest in the comp yet it can be completely excused by Salary cap restrictions? Barrett has a raft of gilt edged excuses if this benchmark is applied. The list of players we could have recruited would be so long that I cannot be bothered, Marty T would be one example before he went to Balmain.

And add with Storm.... "bit by bit to an established team" with an established and unchanged coach.
They added some quality bit by bit , it came unstuck well before 2014 , check the recruitment I listed and you will see it did not all happen in 2014

Appart from the Melbourne game where we were wrecked with injury we'd been challenging every side we played.

We've turned a corner, dont stress next year will be a lot better.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4