The other forum hosts have cooked themselves with their attitude

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
I don't know what you all think; I was astonished and ticked off the MWSE forum blocked out non-members from viewing posts. I can handle not being allowed to post because of not being a paid-up member, but to lock us all out, this has only upset a whole lot of people.
So, in the end, it drove me over here, and I now don't even use the MWSE web page anymore - this is where I come for all my news and updates (and goss)  ;D
Good to be back on the boards again.

yep seems like it now, you get this msg

As of May 2010 access to the Sea Eagles Members Forum will be limited to Sea Eagles Members only.  To gain access to the Sea Eagles Members forum you must be a Sea Eagles Member.

They are a business and it is part of their business model.

It works for some of them and not for others.

Either way it works out better for us. The more members we get actively posting on the site the greater the diversity and the better this place becomes.

Welcome aboard mate

Mate from what I've seen over there in terms of quality of debate and footballing insight, they are doing you a favour by refusing you access.

This is the better and more realistic forum for sharing opinions and thoughts, the MWSE was way to biased (in comparison to this one) and everything was sugar coated.

Sometimes i would go there if it was a slow news day but I'm not bothered.

Yeah, welcome aboard mate. Your input will only add to the many debates that go on here.

captainskin link said:
I don't know what you all think; I was astonished and ticked off the MWSE forum blocked out non-members from viewing posts. I can handle not being allowed to post because of not being a paid-up member, but to lock us all out, this has only upset a whole lot of people.
So, in the end, it drove me over here, and I now don't even use the MWSE web page anymore - this is where I come for all my news and updates (and goss)  ;D
Good to be back on the boards again.
I agree with you, it is shortsighted and counterproductive. My first thought was that it was because with Aaron gone they didn't have the resources to monitor content. I see a number of posters there are pleased with the change, but I don't get it at all.

The "Other forum hosts"?

Do you mean the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles...the team we support and that needs cash to be able to field a team each week and becoming a member helps with raising that cash?

There is still full access to all pages on the site free of charge to anyone - except of course the forum

Not sure whether you saw this on there...

"CHANGES TO FORUM ENTRY RULES
Manly Sea Eagles
30/04/2010 8:56:12 AM
After much discussion at an administrative level the Quantum Manly Sea Eagles Forum will now only be accessed by MEMBERS.
The decision to make the forum a members only debate forum has come after items from the forum have been reproduced in newspapers in the form of stories – some with fact but many more non factual.
The Sea Eagles in no way wants to suppress healthy debate on topical issues – that is part of being a footy tragic.
But our business is our business and we want to keep it that way. It also helps provide our members additional benefits with exclusive access to the forum."

Mind you...your argument may have legs...I might contact Fox and see if they will let me get full access to their packages as I am a Manly Tragic but don't want to buy a subscription?

But vidmar a full member never got full access as they couldn't post. But we get your point.

Btw I'm a se member but I couldn't be bothered posting there or looking anyway. But the rest of the site is ok. Except the wallpaper content is ordinary etc.

They don't pay attention to detail IMHO

Boths sites have great merit, and I would urge anyone to become a member for more reasons that just posting on a forum.

Support our troops FFS.

They entertain you week in / week out...but this debate has been bled to death already.

Anyone who loves The Eagles, enjoys what they do for you, and has the capacity to afford a membership and isn't one, is a bum straight up in my books, and I don't care who that upsets.

I agree with what they're doing and their reasons for it.  Though what's to stop a member of the media paying the membership and getting access to the scuttlebutt anyway.  At least Bec and Buzz will be $60 poorer for the experience. 

vidmar link said:
The \"Other forum hosts\"?

Do you mean the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles...the team we support and that needs cash to be able to field a team each week and becoming a member helps with raising that cash?

Mind you...your argument may have legs...I might contact Fox and see if they will let me get full access to their packages as I am a Manly Tragic but don't want to buy a subscription?

I was a member last year: a paid up KA family of four member. Then, someone in marketing thought, lets grab an extra $200 a year out of these blokes (after the debacle of 2009) and change their seats to Silver Plus.
I have two young kids, who rarely came to night games with me, as we live over an hour away from Brookvale. I decided to wait to see how the scheduling of Manly's games go... and so far this year, it hasn't been too promising.
The Sea Eagles make more money out of me when I purchase a ticket(s) at the ground. They make more money when I pay full price for any merchandise at the ground... If they need money to save/help the club they should just ask and I'll donate.
One of the issues is the forum 'hosts' change the rules mid stream; no warning of a forum lock down, and moreover, this proceedure should have taken place at the beginning of the year, not a reaction to (what seems to be) negative posts by 'members' who want open debate.
Anyway, Vidmar, thats my two cents worth.

vidmar link said:
The \"Other forum hosts\"?

There is still full access to all pages on the site free of charge to anyone - except of course the forum

Not sure whether you saw this on there...

\"CHANGES TO FORUM ENTRY RULES
Manly Sea Eagles
30/04/2010 8:56:12 AM
After much discussion at an administrative level the Quantum Manly Sea Eagles Forum will now only be accessed by MEMBERS.
The decision to make the forum a members only debate forum has come after items from the forum have been reproduced in newspapers in the form of stories – some with fact but many more non factual.
The Sea Eagles in no way wants to suppress healthy debate on topical issues – that is part of being a footy tragic.
But our business is our business and we want to keep it that way. It also helps provide our members additional benefits with exclusive access to the forum.\"

In this day and age you want as many potential fans interacting and posting on your site as possible, if you want additional sponsorship dollars and want new fans you want to create an active online community and a feeling of inclusion and belonging to something, this decision does neither, there is potential extra revenue stream from online sponsorship deals and advertising that would surpass the extra capital this decision will generate, it's very short sighted.

Ryan link said:
Support our troops FFS.

Anyone who loves The Eagles, enjoys what they do for you, and has the capacity to afford a membership and isn't one, is a bum straight up in my books, and I don't care who that upsets.

...and your meanning of the word bum is?

And a person who pays full price for the games they (along with family and friends who attend with that person) are not supporting the troops.

Come on, Ryan. You don't really believe the majority of Manly fans, who are not members, over the minority who are members, are bums - really?

missing_something link said:
In this day and age you want as many potential fans interacting and posting on your site as possible, if you want additional sponsorship dollars and want new fans you want to create an active online community and a feeling of inclusion and belonging to something, this decision does neither, there is potential extra revenue stream from online sponsorship deals and advertising that would surpass the extra capital this decision will generate, it's very short sighted.

You would think so but funnily enough there are more members now than when the mwse forum was open to all comers?

Interacting, inclusion and belonging is a two-way street and at some stage there needs to be some giving back

The Sea Eagles website has way more hits/visits and all that jazz according to the stats that I've seen from the NRL which I'm guessing will be the reason that we have more adverting on our site than many of the other clubs.

Granted, removing free access to view the forum may have an impact and that will remain to be seen - general feeling I've picked up from this thread is that the forum wasn't a major drawcard for most on here though.

I'd be surprised if the move is designed to massively boost member numbers but is, as said, to lock out people such as lazy journo's (and I'm interested to see the huge jump in "guests" that view this site whenever there has been contentious news about the club) or local pollies.

Captain skin - a flexi pass will give you membership - I seem to remember seeing you on the Hill at Penrith and you seemed to be having fun so guess you're well at home on the Hill at Brookie but your situation is perhaps a lot different to others and so difficult for the club to factor all circumstances

Re: the timing, it would appear to have been prompted due to the recent increase of traffic re such aspects as the Warringah Council public consultation process and the sensitivity of some of the posts that are best kept between the pro rather than the con factions on the issue of redevelopment.

As stated, there has been an increase in the media using posts as quotes which they can do as they are in a public forum.

Yes, anyone can join to have a sneaky look but at least we'll have their money

G'day Byso - not sure what you meant about a full member not being able to post unless they were banned?

If it was an admin problem then a call to office should have sorted that out quick sharp?

Anyway, my thoughts re membership are well voiced on here and that wasn't my intention in posting- more to inform of the published reason for the move by the club

Were journalists really going over the mine the mother lode of wisdom put forward by the likes of DJ Gook?  Must have made for riveting reading. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2