The Oates Incident....stop or play on?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Oates Incident

• Play on

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • Stop

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

Killer03

Bencher
The incident with Oates on Friday night where he was injured and thePanthers were away......I was watching the Sunday Footy Show and noticed opinion is divided. Fittlers attitude was play on....the play has no bearing on the medics getting to him. Joeys was 'nup stop'.

My mind immediately turned to how this can be exploited....and it will. That's just what players and coaches do.

So the question is for that incident play on or stop? Personally I say play on, as in this incident I agree with Fittler. The injured player is away from play, and the medics still get to the player in time.

Play on if the ball clears the spot where the injury happens.@:cool:

The Drs had clear access to the player as the Riff was running away with the ball.

This is already being exploited by players/Coaches :cool:

Rule should be, if you can't play the ball a team mate plays it a meter from you. Worked for 100+ years like this :wait:

I think if he had of hurt his knee or something and dropped the ball it would have been play on. But a serious head injury leaving a player unconscious should probably bring the game to an instant stop. Duty of care/ player safety etc.
The Penrith players didn't blow up about it so i think that's your answer....?

I think if he had of hurt his knee or something and dropped the ball it would have been play on. But a serious head injury leaving a player unconscious should probably bring the game to an instant stop. Duty of care/ player safety etc.
The Penrith players didn't blow up about it so i think that's your answer....?
As there are now 2 Refs, one could stay with the player and call over the medics. :lightbulb:

I think the ball didn't bounce free from the collision. The Penrith player had to reach down and take it off the injured player, so I think correct decision. On this occasion.

I think the ball bounced into Milford, so it was accidental offside which means a dead ball. Correct call.

Duty of care says stopping the game is correct, the player injured must also leave the field. I was happier with the ruling than I am with most of the HIA rorts most games

The incident with Oates on Friday night where he was injured and thePanthers were away......I was watching the Sunday Footy Show and noticed opinion is divided. Fittlers attitude was play on....the play has no bearing on the medics getting to him. Joeys was 'nup stop'.

My mind immediately turned to how this can be exploited....and it will. That's just what players and coaches do.

So the question is for that incident play on or stop? Personally I say play on, as in this incident I agree with Fittler. The injured player is away from play, and the medics still get to the player in time.
Consistency would be nice, but I have seen on a multitude of occasions where a defensive player is concussed/injured and the referees do nothing for five or six tackles, or until there is a break in play. The Broncos advocates are claiming he had control of the ball when he was knocked out, which is bullsh1t, the ball was picked up by Penrith in the ground, play on it's a try. However due to the terrible decisions the Penny's received last week they can't exactly make a fuss. And to their credit they didn't.

Play on for sure, until the next stoppage in play. The last thing we need is more areas where the morons in pick can use their poorly developed senses of discretion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8