The nutty professor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You can absolutely see what sort of leader Des is within this 2021 wrap up speech at last night's awards.

I watched this , must admit I think to the average footy player it would have gone right over their heads.

But that’s the mad professor for you !!

Last edited:
I watched this , must admit I think to the average footy player it would have gone right get over their heads.

But that’s the mad professor for you !!
Yes, just watched it and then logged and here we are.

I think the bit at the end when he quotes Roosevelt's 1910 speech is something we as supporters can take on board when questioning our Coach, Captain and style of play or tactics.

"....it is not the critic who counts ( and there have been some) ...but to the man who has been in the arena....and if he fails, he fails by daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who neither know victory or defeat..."

They took us on a hell of a ride this year and even though we lost the prelim we went out doing what got them there.

Looking forward to next year, I'm sure the membership team are too.

Yes, just watched it and then logged and here we are.

I think the bit at the end when he quotes Roosevelt's 1910 speech is something we as supporters can take on board when questioning our Coach, Captain and style of play or tactics.

"....it is not the critic who counts ( and there have been some) ...but to the man who has been in the arena....and if he fails, he fails by daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who neither know victory or defeat..."

They took us on a hell of a ride this year and even though we lost the prelim we went out doing what got them there.

Looking forward to next year, I'm sure the membership team are too.
He was targeting Rothfield with that quote.

I posted this in the other thread but this is also worth a listen

It is why i do not think there will be any wholesale changes to the team as that i not how Des works
Wow.
And there was I thinking rugby league is a simple game! I still like the colours of the jerseys though. :)

I posted this in the other thread but this is also worth a listen

It is why i do not think there will be any wholesale changes to the team as that i not how Des works
And yes I agree, Des's style is always to favour continuity.

At times he's been accused of being 'too loyal' or too conservative, so its interesting (but not surprising) to hear that the data is firmly on his side.

As it happens, the changes to the team this year were probably the most dramatic I can recall from his 2 terms at Manly. New winger, new centre, new 5/8, 2 new second-rowers and a new hooker.
This really bodes well for next year folks, really well. With one or two carefully handpicked additions to the side.

Can't stand speeches or inspiring quotes read out in general, if you want something bad enough you will find inspiration without it shoved down your throat.

Speeches to me just come across as overly forced formalities and all about presenting yourself in the best possible light to an audience.

Also not a fan of referring to staff as "My staff" or when leaders say "My people"

And yes I agree, Des's style is always to favour continuity.

At times he's been accused of being 'too loyal' or too conservative, so its interesting (but not surprising) to hear that the data is firmly on his side.

As it happens, the changes to the team this year were probably the most dramatic I can recall from his 2 terms at Manly. New winger, new centre, new 5/8, 2 new second-rowers and a new hooker.
This really bodes well for next year folks, really well. With one or two carefully handpicked additions to the side.
Yes, but on that the new winger was targeted as a recruit knowing he was a work in progress - and excelled
Centre - Suli was first pick and then Harper took his chance and didn't give it up
5/8 - he went back to the well albeit knowing he had a back up - again excelled to expectations
Second rowers - realistically Guac and Schu were 5 & 6 behind Sirro, Davey, Jetski, Boyle but we'll never know what the long term plans were.
Hooker - he backed his judgement and came up with what was needed.

To think that our last few targeted recruits were under contract but we managed to get here - Saab, Aloiai....and maybe Bullemor.
Even going back to Marty, he still had a year to run.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6