The nutty professor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
All 4 remaining teams throw the ball around a lot.
Storm have players across the field who can move the ball swiftly and accurately, and probably have their players best drilled to always be in position to take advantage. But despite the amount of ball movement, they do it in a relatively low risk way.
Panthers over the last 2 years have had an 'effervescent' attack, with a lot of adventurous ball movement. However they've been noticeably down in this area since Origin, and since Cleary's injury.
Souths have perfected a deadly passing game. However it is principally down their left edge, and the loss of Mitchell removes one of their biggest threats.
Manly? We have as many players adept at moving the ball as Storm, but take more risks.

The rule changes has lead to a more attacking game which has suited DCE, Saab, Garrick and Turbo. I think Tommy Turbo single handed change our band of football.

It makes some sense, but the number of possessions is more important than the number of errors. Too many errors cancels the possessions out. So the ratio between them is likely the key.
As well as where those errors take place on the field and on what tackle count they occur. There are so many factors to consider. We won't win an arm wrestle type game against the remaining three teams. We need to continue to work on our defence and to win the middle to allow for expansive, variated points of attacking play.

Throw the ball around and attack but we must be able to defend our errors.

I think the last 4 all throw out some good attack, but it's with a difference....

Storm are the best at firstly Winning the middle before a shift, which basically gives them game control and appears way more crisp due to this and also run the best option runners around the ruck to disect the defence, often leading to crash tries off their big men close to the line....also sucking in the wide defenders for that 2nd man play.

Penrith are best served winning field position off Cleary's boot and attacking in the Red zone attacking either side, but are guilty of turnovers when not earning momentum, yet tossing the ball.
The scariest Penrith not only play to Kikau, but behind him to create Massive space.

Manly are great from Anywhere, though like penrith, at times shift without really denting the middle and play better without the desperation which can turn into errors - MUST play through and this will create the numbers.
This shutting down Tom really translates in our big men not matching the opposition in the middle - simple as that.....if Manly can Win the middle - can Win the comp.

Souths have perhaps the best left edge sweep in the game and Reynold gun kicking game to setup good real estate....young Taffe is great, but the loss of MItchell who appears as a Deadly weapon all over the park, reduces much attacking power...though this will get them more smashing speed, direct in the trenches and any team not willing to play as ugly, will get demolished.

Not sure why the most secretive man in the game would have his stats guru talking to Roy Masters, hmmm… 🤯

Couldn't read the article need to subscribe .... could someone please post the text?

Manly coach, Des Hasler, is rugby league’s last remaining Mad Professor, an endearing sight at press conferences, tie askew and hair uncut and uncombed, in an era where most executives turn up in a “I earn half-a-million dollars a year” uniform of blue suit coat and unbuttoned crisp white shirt.​

He’ll be at his enigmatic best after Friday night’s preliminary final against South Sydney, given the myriad explanations for the ways games are won and lost.

He has an assistant, Ramy Haidar, whose official title is “innovation consultant”, although Haidar prefers “synthesist.“
If Hasler is a demon for numbers, trawling through statistics in the early hours, Haidar is even more fixated.

“I like to collate information and search for correlations,” he said. “My focus becomes extremely narrow.“
He adds, by way of explanation in a code where missing teeth are more common than university degrees, “I have been diagnosed with Asperger’s.”

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler is one win away from another grand final.
The joint research of Hasler and Haidar suggests they are close to “synthesising” the field position versus possession conundrum which to some football coaches is equivalent to the unified theory of physics which stumped Einstein.
Over the past decade, in most team ball sports, possession has become more important than field position.

In rugby union, the ball in hand is everything with endless phases on the opposition line, whereas in the past it rarely went past the five-eighth without being kicked by the No.10.
In the AFL, players kick backwards to teammates to maintain possession, rather than boot the ball downfield and risk losing it.
“Teams with higher completion rates tend to lose more often, while those who use the ball, win.”
Only dear soccer, the world game, still values position equally, given it is impossible to kick a goal from your own line.
The NRL has propelled the game further towards possession, with a six-again rule replacing a penalty which previously allowed a team to kick for territory.

NRL coaches, following a loss, will give more attention to “our poor completion rate” than “playing the game in the opposition half.“
Yet, consider the paradoxes. This year, the Bulldogs, came last, yet had the highest completion rate in the NRL.

The NRL’s better teams throw the ball around more, which leads to more errors.

The 2019 Roosters won the premiership, yet amassed a whopping 311 errors through the season.
The 2021 Bulldogs did little with the ball, opting for conservative play, whereas the 2019 Roosters embraced risk.

The better teams play more expansively, passing the ball more often, leading to more errors and lower completion rates.
Haidar reached this conclusion after being tasked by Hasler to feed multiple statistics into a computer, such as metres gained, line breaks, tackles made, penalties, and isolate the most significant factor in a win.
Haidar found that in the period between 2017 and 2021, across the NRL, the correlation between “possessions” – the number of times the ball is received in hand- and win percentage was 0.76, a close relationship.
Yet over the same period, the correlation between the standard “completion rate” and win percentage, was a negative 0.27, an inverse relationship.
That is, teams with higher completion rates tend to lose more often, while those who use the ball, win.

So, for a man who obsesses about small things, the fifth “s” in possessions is very important.
According to Haidar, “possessions” is the amount of ball receipts, whereas “possession” measures total time with the ball.

There are echoes of the 2019 premiership-winning Roosters side in Des Hasler’s Sea Eagles outfit.
A Lebanese Muslim, Haidar is one of many young men of similar background who have contacted me over the years seeking more knowledge of rugby league.
In Haidar’s case, he likens himself to the Moneyball character who used overlooked statistics to build an Oakland Athletics team low on recognised stars but only eliminated by eventual World Series champions Anaheim.
Haidar won a media award for catching out the A-League’s Newcastle Jets for buying fake followers online.
Hasler hired him at the beginning of the year after Wests Tigers, who also showed interest via coach Michael Maguire, were slow in contracting him.
Asked how advanced he is in creating a statistical map where all the game-day variables synthesise, he admitted to trying to collate everything into a unified theory.
Given the significant role referees have in rugby league, this would seem a doomed venture. But he remains fixated on the task.

Asked if his statistical analysis could point to the 2021 premiership winner, he mentioned the 2019 premiers, the Roosters, who made most errors in the season.
So, which NRL team had the lowest completion rate at the end of the 2021 regular season?
Manly.

I just like how Des looks like he has just got out of the surf at North Narra and mussed up his hair with his towel to dry it off, leaving it all salty and tangled. His breathlessness in the press conference is because the surf was epic, and he was committed. He doesn't treat media gronks that drop in on him (with stupid questions) with any respect, and nor should he - as a rusted-on local he takes no ****.

There is no more suitable a look for a coach to represent our beautiful stretch of coast. I admit I look a little bit like Des right now, given the time between haircuts :D

It's that cunning little brain of his under that mop that we all need doing its thing - and having never lost a Prelim Final as either coach or player, I am hopeful he can maintain that streak!

It's that cunning little brain of his under that mop that we all need doing its thing - and having never lost a Prelim Final as either coach or player, I am hopeful he can maintain that streak!
That’s a very interesting stat. Never lost a Prelim, and South’s have lost their last 3, in 3 years. Normally the law of averages would suggest South’s have the advantage, but in sports psychology, in can be a heavy burden to carry.

Not disagreeing with comments above but in addition, Melbourne shoot early when defending and get away with not being penalised for offside.

In our last game against Melbourne, we were getting smashed as soon as the first receiver caught the ball. That’s enough to choke any team. Unfair advantage. Just another way they have found to cheat and I’m mystified why refs and commentators don’t call the obvious.

Taffe will get a much more difficult workout this week. Looked very suspect under the ball vs penrith early, dropping a great cleary bomb. Yet cleary kept putting up the exact same kick every time and Taffe started to predict it, run onto it and gain confidence. Penrith never shifted their tactics on the fly when it became apparent that Taffe grew confident at fielding the bombs. I reckon manly will kick deep early, then alternate with some shorter bombs with someone like trbo chasing through. Taffe’s positioning could also be an issue when we are attacking their line and sending short grubbers through.

Media has gone quiet on taffe but his inexperience in first grade, especially at fullback, is a big weakness. Rabbits fans have forgotten about it, but I think it could sting them big time if he starts to lose his confidence at the beginning-middle of the game.

Im getting more confident in a manly upset the closer we get to the game. But at the end of the day the forward pack will decide it

ive been thinking about this once since i started following the game in 1981 but ive confirmed it today.
100% of teams who score more points on the day win the game.

Unless you Canterbury 2002 and Melbourne 2010
and get
stripped for salary cap rorts :)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but I think it highlights our game plan this season.

Manly coach, Des Hasler, is rugby league’s last remaining Mad Professor, an endearing sight at press conferences, tie askew and hair uncut and uncombed, in an era where most executives turn up in a “I earn half-a-million dollars a year” uniform of blue suit coat and unbuttoned crisp white shirt.

He’ll be at his enigmatic best after Friday night’s preliminary final against South Sydney, given the myriad explanations for the ways games are won and lost.

He has an assistant, Ramy Haidar, whose official title is “innovation consultant”, although Haidar prefers “synthesist.“

If Hasler is a demon for numbers, trawling through statistics in the early hours, Haidar is even more fixated.

“I like to collate information and search for correlations,” he said. “My focus becomes extremely narrow.“

He adds, by way of explanation in a code where missing teeth are more common than university degrees, “I have been diagnosed with Asperger’s.”

The joint research of Hasler and Haidar suggests they are close to “synthesising” the field position versus possession conundrum which to some football coaches is equivalent to the unified theory of physics which stumped Einstein.

Over the past decade, in most team ball sports, possession has become more important than field position.

In rugby union, the ball in hand is everything with endless phases on the opposition line, whereas in the past it rarely went past the five-eighth without being kicked by the No.10.

In the AFL, players kick backwards to teammates to maintain possession, rather than boot the ball downfield and risk losing it.

“Teams with higher completion rates tend to lose more often, while those who use the ball, win.”
Only dear soccer, the world game, still values position equally, given it is impossible to kick a goal from your own line.

The NRL has propelled the game further towards possession, with a six-again rule replacing a penalty which previously allowed a team to kick for territory.

NRL coaches, following a loss, will give more attention to “our poor completion rate” than “playing the game in the opposition half.“

Yet, consider the paradoxes. This year, the Bulldogs, came last, yet had the highest completion rate in the NRL.

The 2019 Roosters won the premiership, yet amassed a whopping 311 errors through the season.

The 2021 Bulldogs did little with the ball, opting for conservative play, whereas the 2019 Roosters embraced risk.

The better teams play more expansively, passing the ball more often, leading to more errors and lower completion rates.

Haidar reached this conclusion after being tasked by Hasler to feed multiple statistics into a computer, such as metres gained, line breaks, tackles made, penalties, and isolate the most significant factor in a win.

Haidar found that in the period between 2017 and 2021, across the NRL, the correlation between “possessions” – the number of times the ball is received in hand- and win percentage was 0.76, a close relationship.

Yet over the same period, the correlation between the standard “completion rate” and win percentage, was a negative 0.27, an inverse relationship.

That is, teams with higher completion rates tend to lose more often, while those who use the ball, win.

So, for a man who obsesses about small things, the fifth “s” in possessions is very important.

According to Haidar, “possessions” is the amount of ball receipts, whereas “possession” measures total time with the ball.

A Lebanese Muslim, Haidar is one of many young men of similar background who have contacted me over the years seeking more knowledge of rugby league.

In Haidar’s case, he likens himself to the Moneyball character who used overlooked statistics to build an Oakland Athletics team low on recognised stars but only eliminated by eventual World Series champions Anaheim.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7