The NRL should investigate Newcastle over this player abuse

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Newcastle played two players who obviously had concussion today.  One fell over repeatedly, went to the sidelines and then came back on.  The NRL officials and Newcastle officials should have thought about the players safety, and either replaced them both or ordered them from the field.  Especially Number 16, who fell over maybe four or five times and obviously didn't have a clue.  No parent would want their kid to play the game if this is the way they're used and abused by clubs..  Surely there's a duty of care.  C'mon Gallop, order an investigation.   

The ch9 commentary were saying that no.16 had to stay because interchanges were not permitted during scrums. And said that NRL had to do something about this situation

Mate it was in the rules. The poor buggar's couldn't be replaced due to a scrum being called. He was trying to get off the field.

Not acceptable.  Does a player who is suffering a heart attack need to stay ion the field to pack into a scrum.  The players safety is paramount.  Those in charge would be culpable if he suffered a serious injury, and with concussion, who knows what the next knock would do.  There's a duty of care responsibility here and it wasn't adhered to.  Just not acceptable. 

it was a bad look for the game, a bad look for newcastle. Faaoso or however you spell it was 16. He was gone. Scrum or not, he should have gone off even if they played with 12. He even stayed on longer anyway so the scrum is no excuse

I really felt for a guy that was giving so much to a club that was not returning the favour. He obviously was doing it out of Instinct where Newcastle had the luxury of better judgement

Post  automatically merged: [time]1301218439[/time]

I think he cant be replaced but i think he can go off. Like really what could they do anyway. The ref should have stopped play

Look when I played U16's many years a go I was in the same position as Fa'aoso and the trainer tried to drag me off and I almost put one on his chin so he decided to leave me on. I came off after the game and didn't know who my parents were.

I probably should have gone off in the first instance but because of my reaction he left me on so it's a bit hard.

DSM5 - I will save you the bother by giving you Gallops response:

"Thanks for your letter DSM5, we at the NRL take player safety very seriously and we'll be looking very closely at any incident that affects the ongoing welfare of all players".
(translation = I'm not going to promise anything but I will trot out a sentence that sounds responsible)

No16 was Fa'oso, but as the rule stands what do you do?

It should be a doctors' call and whatever he says stands even if you have to play with 12 men.

Look at how the NFL deals with concussions, this is the way the NRL needs to go.

Head injuries shouldn't be taken lightly. Letting a bloke who has suffered what was likely a concussion back on the field is pure negligence. Where was the team doctor when this happened?

What was worse was that concussed players who stayed on weren't hidden out on the wing, but played smack bang in the forwards.

Wolfpack link said:
Look at how the NFL deals with concussions, this is the way the NRL needs to go.

Head injuries shouldn't be taken lightly. Letting a bloke who has suffered what was likely a concussion back on the field is pure negligence. Where was the team doctor when this happened?

This caused a lot of problems in an International Rugby League game over in the states recently.

USA were paying Jamica and the Jamican's were under the attack and the next thing the American doctor runs out ant tries to take the Jamican hooker off the field the reason the doctor given was because of hefelt the player was knocked out

Was very worrying, more so the fact they brought him back on later. Concussion is a serious issue, and should not be taken lightly.

I thought the ref should have approved the interchange. And the rule should be changed so that if a player is too badly injured or concussed in the opinon of the ref then let them change. I don't understand why no interchange at a scrum anyway?

Haven't the AFL brought in a concussion rule this year where by if you come off concussed you can take no further part in the came. I might be wrong but I'm sure a player who got knocked out in the game on Thursday night had to put on a red vest and could not be put back on. The commentators were crapping on about how it affected the interchange but player safety has to come first. Maybe the NRL should look into a similar rule.

If Fa'aoso had of stayed down and not moved I'm sure they would of taken him off, scrum or no scrum.

It was a shocking look for the game.  I hope Gallop takes this seriously and looks at the rules following this.  It's ridiculous that he couldn't come off when they called a scrum.

And Newcastle should not have allowed him to come back on, regardless of whether they had replacements or not.  You could see he was still affected after he dropped the ball later on.

The AFL rule is that anyone suspected of concussion has to come off and undergo a doctor's assessment.  The procedure they have takes around 6-7 minutes to go through to determine if they have a concussion or not.  If they do, then that's it for the day. 

Same thing should happen in league. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4