The no past favourites best team selection

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
Picking guys on past reputation is a massive danger.

I believe our best 17 is this:

1. Brett (NER = no explanation required)
2. Oldfield (2nd best winger in club his attack is badly needed)
3. Lyon (NER)
4. Hoppa (can't be left out - note the massive wraps by people like Gus)
5. Wolf (best winger in club)
6. Foran (NER)
7. DCE (NER)
8. King (NER)
9. Ballin (NER)
10. Robinson (2nd best prop in the squad simple as that)
11. Choc (NER)
12. Glenn Stewart (NER - Jersey 12 or 13 makes no diff)
13. Matai (what a great lock he'd make and gives Hoppa centre spot)

14. Rose (need him for 30-40 min a match charges but he MUST get fitter)
15. Buhrer (NER and unlucky not to be starting but still plenty of game time)
16. Kite (and only just - he MUST stop those soft crabby hit ups or be dropped)
17. Harrison (star of future can't be ignored)

(seriously that's one of the best benches in the NRL)

18. Robbo (he's a wonderful player but is now our 3rd best winger IMO)
19. Seu Seu (40 mins of Harrison WAY more valuable than 15 mins Seu Seu esp when Ballin more than capable of playing 80)
20. Guluvao (not in top 17 but with injuries will be used in many games)
21. Rodney (ditto Guluvao - yes he's a tackling machine but so are the young guys like Harrison and Buhrer and their attack is way stronger)
22. Mauro (ditto Guluvao, Rodney - and in fair dinkum dept he's just ok but not amazing)
23. T Rex - not a first grade back and too slow and lazy as a forward = NSW Cup. Yes yes yes the Slater fend and all the tries last year - but he concedes just as many and opposition teams know he's a turnstile. Plus he's triply lazy - 6 hit ups a game (his rd 1 stat v Melb) is unacceptable for a guy his size.

Before anyone slams me for Robbo dropping it's no criticism - he's been incredible in past and always finds the corner with those great dives - but IMO Oldfield is more of an attacking weapon in open play - and it's those kinds of dangerous wingers that change games - look at guys like Blake Ferguson, Talanoa, Tuquiri, etc etc  - they scare opposition defences - but does Robbo seriously scare anyone?  2008 was 3 years ago we've gotta move forward.

Wolf best winger in the club when he's on the field and that hasn't been too often since 2008.

Brett's played 7 games in 2 years. Does that mean we question his spot too on account of being apparently brittle? You can't stop injuries and they have nothing to do with the ranking of best players.

From all the other posts I'm obv not alone in ranking our wingers:
1. Wolf
2. Oldfield
3. Robbo
4. T Rex

(counting Hoppa as a centre/fullback)

Wingers in order of form this year:
Robertson - although slow has not made an error, has scored a try and will always come infield to take pressure off the forwards.
Oldfield - Has speed, busts the line reguraly, can score a try for anywhere on the field.
Wolfman - Great (When on the field) qoute ''when on the field''.

I rate hoppa as a centre/fullback, and trex is anything but a back.

cf2 is back link said:
Brett's played 7 games in 2 years. Does that mean we question his spot too on account of being apparently brittle? You can't stop injuries and they have nothing to do with the ranking of best players.

Quality fullbacks are alot harder to find, the fact that Brett has scored nearly a 100 tries in about 120 games tells you he's special. Wingers are easier to replace.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1301744599[/time]

cf2 is back link said:

Quality fullbacks are alot harder to find, the fact that Brett has scored nearly a 100 tries in about 120 games tells you he's special. Wingers are easier to replace.

swoop link said:
[quote author=cf2 is back link=topic=187285.msg329988#msg329988 date=1301743814]

Post  automatically merged: [time]1301744599[/time]

cf2 is back link said:

[/quote]

There are three wingers that break that rule -
Ken Irvine
Brian Bevan
Martin Offiah

You lost me at

cf2 is back link said:

The bloke has been very ordinary at times and s**t most of the time since the 2008 GF. Has been ok this year, 2 games.

1. Brett (NER = no explanation required)
2. Oldfield (2nd best winger in club his attack is badly needed)
3. Lyon (NER)
4. Hoppa (can't be left out - note the massive wraps by people like Gus)
6. Foran (NER)
7. DCE (NER)
8. King (NER)
9. Ballin (NER)
10. Robinson (2nd best prop in the squad simple as that)
11. Choc (NER)
12. Glenn Stewart (NER - Jersey 12 or 13 makes no diff)
13. Matai (what a great lock he'd make and gives Hoppa centre spot)

14. Rose (need him for 30-40 min a match charges but he MUST get fitter)
15. Buhrer (NER and unlucky not to be starting but still plenty of game time)
16. Kite (and only just - he MUST stop those soft crabby hit ups or be dropped)
17. Harrison (star of future can't be ignored

Swap Joe for Rose and JB for Matai and Kite for anyone

B Stewart
Hopoate
Lyon
Matai
D Williams
Foran
DCE
King
Ballin
Kite
Watmough
Rodney
G Stewart

Seu Seu
Cunningham
Rose
Bhurer

1. B Stewart
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon
4. Hoppa
5. D Williams
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. King
9. Ballin
10. Galuvao
11. Watmough
12. Rodney
13. G Stewart

14. Matai
15. Buhrer
16. Kite
17. T Robinson  (after a while, provided form continues - shift to starting side and Galuvao to bench as he is more a backrower than prop)

Not the team that I think will be picked when all are available, but the team I'd go with; the only thing is Matai - hard to keep him out of the starting line-up. If he starts, then Hoppa to a wing spot and either Wolfman or Oldfield drops off and Harrison or Liam Foran (on the bench), as I'm not a fan of Seu Seu.

No past favourites except Wolfman obviously. Didn't play a game all last season, has played 2 games this year and they were both ordinary efforts. But somehow he is now the best winger in our club on current form. Please. If he regains 2008 form then yes he may be the best winger in the club, at the moment he has a fair bit of ground to make up on those who have actually made the park.

C&C he has pace,his form picks up from dropping ball then its all good

I remember he ran down Coote(?) who was an absolute speedster

Last year we had the need for speed

I'm not denying that the guy can play , I'm just pointing out that this thread is about picking a side based on current form and not playing favourites on past reputation. Wolfman has played 2 games in 12 months and they were both poor efforts. How can he then be the best winger in the club based on the above criteria ? Ridiculous.

I am with C&C on this one.

I am truly scarred from being there live the night Wolfman played Origin in 2009, in what must be the lowest performance of all time.

He went downhill from there except few a few flashes of 2008 form.

He would be getting paid as an international and is at best an average first grader these days.

Chip & Chase link said:
I'm not denying that the guy can play , I'm just pointing out that this thread is about picking a side based on current form and not playing favourites on past reputation. Wolfman has played 2 games in 12 months and they were both poor efforts. How can he then be the best winger in the club based on the above criteria ? Ridiculous.

I agree with your point, but I don't think Wolfman played poorly in either game... what was so terrible?

Well, before the Easts game he was having back spasms in the warm up and barely made the run on side. Consequently did very little all game because of the "injury". His effort against Newcastle was better, so I was probably a bit harsh there.

Shane link said:
He isnt rated as the best i think you will find

By who ? you ? Read some of the posts above and then tell me how many of them have rated Wolfman as the best winger in the club.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4