The Myth that is the top 4

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
With the new finals system there has been lots of talk about how important the top 4 is to a teams premiership chances. I disagree. I think a team finishing 5 or 6 and are fit and inform could win the comp and history agrees.

This format when used In 1995 and 1996 saw
1 v 6 in the grand final with 6 (with help from eadie ward) winning the comp
1 v 7 in the gf with 1 winning.

Cameron said:
With the new finals system there has been lots of talk about how important the top 4 is to a teams premiership chances. I disagree. I think a team finishing 5 or 6 and are fit and inform could win the comp and history agrees.

This format when used In 1995 and 1996 saw
1 v 6 in the grand final with 6 (with help from eadie ward) winning the comp
1 v 7 in the gf with 1 winning.

Care to remind us who was "1" in 1996? ;-p

Agree the only benefit is the 'home' games for one to four. Not that we get those come semi time anyway. Getting one of the losers from the 1v4 or 2v3 on the way down after polishing off a seventh or eighth placed team would be a good tune up for a gf.

What it does stop, is like last year with teh Warriors...lost their first semi but still got thru cause 7 and 8 lost....Now u lose...u gorne

Thing is though if you finish 3 or 4 now you
* can't get knocked out on week 1
* guaranteed week 2 off and HOME prelim final if you win
* HOME game in week 3 if you lose

I know we only get home city finals anyway but it sure beats having to go to Brisbane or Melbourne for a sudden death game.

Don't forget in 95 & 96 all games were at SFS so teams outside the 4 like the "Sydney Bulldogs" and the Dragons didn't have to win away to make the GF.

This system is less advantageous for 1 & 2 (unless they lose week 1) but definitely seems better for 3 & 4.

The thing the new system does is ensure home games each week for the team in the top 4.

Manly (or any team) could win the minor premiership by 20 points but lose to 8 in the first week and then play team 5, 6. or 7 in Auckland, Melbourne or Townsville the next week.

Now if someone in the Top 4 lose in week 1, they still get a home game in Week 2 before they play the winners of the first week in W3 of semis.

Brookvale said:
AFL premiers rarely come from outside the top 4.

Pretty sure the last AFL team to win outside the top 4 was Adelaide back in 1998. I think the top 4 in this current system is more important, and I'm more than confident we'll be there.

Brookvale said:

Have you looked at the disparity in talent between teams in the AFL? The teams at the top consistently have 50+ point wins while those at the botoom consistently get flogged by 100+. The top 4 are FAR better then even the next 4. In the NRL there's not as much difference between sides that finish closely ranked (ie 3v6).

firechild said:
Brookvale said:

Have you looked at the disparity in talent between teams in the AFL? The teams at the top consistently have 50+ point wins while those at the botoom consistently get flogged by 100+. The top 4 are FAR better then even the next 4. In the NRL there's not as much difference between sides that finish closely ranked (ie 3v6).

Yeah thats true. NRL is so much closer. String a few wins together we can get 2nd spot. Lose a few in a row could see us 8th or outside.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2