The motivation driving Sea Eagles prop Toff Sipley

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
A very Inspiring story by the Great Cuzzo ...

Manly Warringah prop Toff Sipley is using the disappointment of not playing finals football as his driving motivation for the 2022 Telstra Premiership season.

Sipley played 20 matches for the Sea Eagles last season in his finest year for Manly, but was overlooked for selection by Coach Des Hasler for all three finals matches in Queensland.
“I felt like I did my part to be able to play in the finals, but it is what it is. I sat down with Des and he was really opened as to why I didn’t play,’’ Sipley said.

“It was kind of a blessing in disguise. The silver lining I take from it is that it has put a chip on my shoulder this season to show why I should have played in the finals.

“I can’t be too disappointed because we had such a good team and it was hard to get picked in it.”

Although Sipley didn’t feature in the finals, the very popular forward ensured his team-mates spirits remained high during the three-month relocation on the Sunshine Coast.

His efforts saw the 27-year-old proudly named the 2021 Club Person of the Year.
“It was a massive experience. We all got along really well with each other, especially with the amount of time we spent together, " Sipley said.

“Like any team, the more time you spend together, the closer you get. It just helps with the bond on and off the field, and that showed with the season we had last year.”

With 34 games behind him now for the Sea Eagles, Sipley has adopted the same mindset that worked so well last season for him this year.

“If you look at how I was going into 2021, I was probably close to giving it all up and quitting footy after not getting one NRL game in 2020,’’ he added.

“To get 20 games last year was due to the mindset I had of just going in and enjoying my footy. If I have that same mindset for 2022, hopefully I play 20 games or more.”
Sipley also has one other aim this season of adding to his try tally after scoring his first NRL try – and then his second – in the same round 16 win over the Bulldogs last season.

“When I do score tries, I only go up in doubles,’’ Sipley added, cheekily.

1644811624656.png

I wonder what Des said to Toff?
Probably, "mate, even if you're a big prop, playing 20 minutes a game is not enough. Get your aerobic fitness up to the level where we can use you for a decent burst of 40 minutes a game at least or you won't get game time"

Any other thoughts?

Sip will receive many opportunities this year and I believe will take them with both hands

He was very close to AFB and had to come to terms with his own ability and purpose

I rate the guy and look forward to be a part of our squad of pigs

We have a hard edge to us and depth that I reckon Des will explore and sides will find hard to dominate

Go manly

Plenty of competition for spots in the pack and on the bench. We have a good squad. So provided players are rewarded with selection for their efforts at training things will fair well for us this season.

He's a very big man, maybe not quite in the George Rose category but no doubt takes a while to build up the match fitness needed in NRL. When he gets there though he will be very hard to stop. George ended up winning a comp with Manly and no reason Sip can't too.

Great guy to have around the squad, seems a good clubman and brings great energy.

Not sure he will ever be a permanent member if our strongest 17 but I see him as an important and reliable depth player

Last edited:
Not sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, I read a small piece which mentioned seibs saying Toff tore his pec at Weights training.

Not sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, I read a small piece which mentioned seibs saying Toff tore his pec at Weights training.
Yeah he said it in an interview I listened to. Said he should be back for the start of season.

The Sipley narrative is interesting. He was probably our best forward at the back end of last year, but has had patches of good and bad throughout his career. Consistency has never been his strong suit. Which is why I was a little surprised to see him rushed back into the side after serving a suspension. However, to his credit, has simply picked up where he left off last year. Seibs is getting the best out of him.

Last edited:
The Sipley narrative is interesting. He was probably our best forward at the back end of last year, but has had patches of good and bad throughout his career. Consistency has never been his strong suit. Which is why I was a little surprised to see him rushed back into the side after serving a suspension. However, to his credit, has simply picked up where he left off last year. Seibs is getting the best out of him.
Agree. But it does seem he has found his feet since the back end of last year and understands what is required to perform at this level more consistently.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8