The most interesting off season ever!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This pre season is so full of comings and goings, every day seems to bring new drama. Now Roberts and false signature,,Souffs backfiring on Walker..........hard to keep up.
Probably not the end yet and only just started back in training.....

I wonder how the players are feeling, " is it my turn next"???......"geez who's the next one to sign".

We reckon its bad on here but just imagine if you are one of the rumoured players to be moved on, you would not know if you were Arthur or Martha!

I agree with Duff - which doesn't happen all the time.

We had an undercurrent of loyalty. A feeling that WE made the players great. And we did. The Stewarts and basically the whole core of that decade of dominance team was nurtured and grew into a team that demanded respect. It took the cheating Scum to beat us and Shame Hayne to rob us. That team deserved 4 titles. Not 2.

I took offence to Choc and Foreign leaving. Who the hell leaves Manly ? That concept just doesn't compute as far as I can see.

Things have definitely changed. But TagMonster is right as well. There is still a lot of talent in this side that was not bought from elsewhere. They are Manly. The players that were let go (with the obvious exception of Ballin) were fringe first graders when compared to the greats they replaced.

As much as I loved that team, nothing lasts forever. I'm just thankful we actually support a club that can develop such a great side.....at all. I've made my peace with what has happened so far this off season. The results on the field could not be allowed to happen again in 2016. One season of decay was enough to last me a lifetime.

So bring on the new year. I can't wait to see the new side restore Manly's rightful place as a premiership heavyweight.

Last edited:
I agree with Duff - which doesn't happen all the time.

We had an undercurrent of loyalty. A feeling that WE made the players great. And we did. They Stewarts and basically the whole core of that decade of dominance team was nurtured and grew into a team that demanded respect. It took the cheating Scum to beat us and Shame Hayne to rob us. That team deserved 4 titles. Not 2.

I took offence to Choc and Foreign leaving. Who the hell leaves Manly ? That concept just doesn't compute as far as I can see.

Things have definitely changed. But TagMonster is right as well. There is still a lot of talent in this side that was not bought from elsewhere. They are Manly. The players that were let go (with the obvious exception of Ballin) were fringe first graders when compared to the greats they replaced.

As much as I loved that team, nothing lasts forever. I'm just thankful we actually support a club that can develop such a great side.....at all. I've made my peace with what has happened so far this off season. The results on the field could not be allowed to happen again in 2016. One season of decay was enough to last me a lifetime.

So bring on the new year. I can't wait to see the new side restore Manly's rightful place as a premiership heavyweight.

I still think 2016 will be a rebuilding year, with 2017-18 being our best shot at a title.

We are a definite top 8 side next year, top 4 might be a big ask BUT who knows, they might gel under Baz and anything could be possible

We were the 3rd best team once we stopped having half the team on the sideline so anything less than top 4 is a failure
Expectations are very high that's 4 sure Fluffy and Mr Fulton who is in charge has gone all guns blazing .....KAPOW !!!
1897869_1016414931737196_8221083204711637588_n.jpg

I understand your point of view @Duff, however; I'm inclined to disagree. While we have bought a number of players, we still have bred many in the team. For example:

Key:
Manly junior - played junior footy in Manly area
Manly developed - player U20s for Manly or came as a no-name player
Proven buy - a key buy of an established high profile player
Unproven buy - a buy of a player who is not an established player.
Journeyman - an established player who has played for many teams but never really proven or consistent

1. B. Stewart - Manly developed
2. J. Taufua - Manly developed
3. J. Lyon - Proven buy but long serving
4. S. Matai - Manly developed
5. T. Trbojevic - Manly junior
6. P. Hiku - Manly developed
7. D. Cherry-Evans - Manly developed
8. J. Trbojevic - Manly junior
9. M. Parcell - Unproven buy
10. N. Myles - Proven buy
11. F. Mateo - Journeyman
12. J. Buhrer - Manly developed
13. M. Tapau - Proven buy

14. A. Koroisau - Proven buy
15. B. Lawrence - Manly developed
16. D. Lussick - Manly junior
17. L. Brown - Proven buy
18. J. Starling - Manly developed
19. A. Demetriou - Manly developed
20. L. Knight - Manly junior
21. T. Symonds - Manly developed

So of the possible starting 13 we have 1 long serving buy, 2 proven buys, 1 journeyman and 1 unproven buy. The rest is either a junior or developed.

Of the bench we have 1 proven buy, 2 developed and one junior (returning home)

Outside that the other players likely to get gametime next season are either Manly developed or local juniors.

Of the total 21 players named above, 7 are either proven or unproven buys (incl Killer). I think the Manly develop their own culture is still alive and well.

full of comings

I call 11/21 bought not bred. How does that compare to last year, 08 or 11?

Thanks mate.

But really it was pretty easy to come up with it.

From just after the 2011 GF our off seasons have been a debacle, De$ Ha$ler started it (and Silvertails nearly tore itself apart with division at the time) and its continued each off season from then on.

And to be honest this off season is no different although its turned from a debacle into the start of a new era (good or bad I'm yet to know), but given that it's certainly the most interesting off season since I have been a member on ST, I can never remember so much to discuss that has such variety........last year it was ALL about....will they or won't they!!

Now its just " I can't wait for season 2016 to kick off".
And the next phase is all about BOZO coming in old-school style, all guns blazing, and knowing how to get what he wants. Just like Politis, just like the mob at Souffs, just like Wayne Bennett at the Broncs. We are no longer being pushed around by the big boys and overlooked by players and their agents. Yep, I also can;t wait for 2016...

I call 11/21 bought not bred. How does that compare to last year, 08 or 11?

That would be a really good exercise. We are pretty much 50% bred, 50% bought for 2016. I've looked up the 2008 GF team as a comparison.

1. B. Stewart - Bred
2. M. Robertson - Bought
3. S. Bell - Bought
4. S. Matai - Bred
5. D. Williams - Bought?
6. J. Lyon - Bought?
7. M. Orford - Bought
8. B. Kite - Bought
9. M. Ballin - Bred
10. J. Perry - Bought
11. A. Watmough - Bred
12. G. Hall - Bought?
13. G. Stewart - Bred
14. H. LeStrange - Bought
15. M. Bryant - Brought?
16. J. King - Bred
17. S. Menzies - BRED!

Compare that to this years possible first 17 and we are pretty much on par with that great 2008 team!

Wolfman would be 'bred' wouldn't he? Don't think he ever played first grade before Manly. He was a promising Eels junior who was so injury plagued I think they gave up on him.

It's not just that simple. Guys like Bryant and Hall although not coming through our junior development were certainly developed into first graders at Manly.
Unlike Bell and Lyon who are more along the lines of the type we're filling the squad with now. No problem with them as players, i just don't like seeing local juniors like Gutho or lifelong fans and potential future captain material like Buhrer moved on for somebody who's just here for the pay cheque.

Wolfman would be 'bred' wouldn't he? Don't think he ever played first grade before Manly. He was a promising Eels junior who was so injury plagued I think they gave up on him.
OK OK we get it ...

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
It's not just that simple. Guys like Bryant and Hall although not coming through our junior development were certainly developed into first graders at Manly.
Unlike Bell and Lyon who are more along the lines of the type we're filling the squad with now. No problem with them as players, i just don't like seeing local juniors like Gutho or lifelong fans and potential future captain material like Buhrer moved on for somebody who's just here for the pay cheque.
Hall was playing first grade at the dogs fairly competitively

WTF. James Roberts contract forged. Free agent 300k. Ben Barbar might be free as well. Walker who knows. This is an off season like no other. What is James Gavet other opportunity? The only certainty this off season is that everything is uncertain!

Meanwhile Shane Richardson is collecting 700k to streamline p.a the NRL Player contracts :mad:

As the Titans went into liquidation after Chez backflipped, all GC Player contracts were re registered with the newly formed GC Titans.
So this requires an investigation as it is a whole NRL run Club :wondering:

That would be a really good exercise. We are pretty much 50% bred, 50% bought for 2016. I've looked up the 2008 GF team as a comparison.

1. B. Stewart - Bred
2. M. Robertson - Bought
3. S. Bell - Bought
4. S. Matai - Bred
5. D. Williams - Bought?
6. J. Lyon - Bought?
7. M. Orford - Bought
8. B. Kite - Bought
9. M. Ballin - Bred
10. J. Perry - Bought
11. A. Watmough - Bred
12. G. Hall - Bought?
13. G. Stewart - Bred
14. H. LeStrange - Bought
15. M. Bryant - Brought?
16. J. King - Bred
17. S. Menzies - BRED!

Compare that to this years possible first 17 and we are pretty much on par with that great 2008 team!

and the fill ins (next most games) of:
Williamson (bought)
Bani (bred)
Cuthbo (bred)
Robson (bred)

1. B. Stewart - Bred
2. M. Robertson - Bought
3. J. Lyon - Bought?
4. S. Matai - Bred
5. W Hopoate - Bred
6. K Foran - Bred
7. DCE - Bred
8. B. Kite - Bought
9. M. Ballin - Bred
10. J Galuvao - Bought
11. A. Watmough - Bred
12. T Williams - Bought
13. G. Stewart - Bred
14. S Rodney - Bought
15. J Buhrer - Bred
16. V Mauro - Bred
17. G Rose - Bought?

J King - Bred
D Williams - Bred
Michael Oldfield - Bred
D Lussick - Bred

14/21

Hall was playing first grade at the dogs fairly competitively
Glen Hall started his career with the dogs and between 2002 - 2003 he only played 8 NRL games and was mostly a NSW cup player
He then moved to South's and between 2004 - 2005 he only played 19 NRL games and was also mostly a NSW cup player
In 2006 he signed with the Roosters and only played 2 NRL games and was playing for Newtown in the NSW cup for most of that season
Whilst he was at Manly between 2006 - 2007 Hall played 65 NRL games as we brought the best in him where other clubs could not previously

Glen Hall started his career with the dogs and between 2002 - 2003 he only played 8 NRL games and was mostly a NSW cup player
He then moved to South's and between 2004 - 2005 he only played 19 NRL games and was also mostly a NSW cup player
In 2006 he signed with the Roosters and only played 2 NRL games and was playing for Newtown in the NSW cup for most of that season
Whilst he was at Manly between 2006 - 2007 Hall played 65 NRL games as we brought the best in him where other clubs could not previously
I always thought he was good at the dogs I remember him playing and thought he would be good at manly but yes your right he did achieve more with us but wouldn't say he was bred here imo

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8