The Manly 'Matrix' Moment.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Even though you may feel the world is falling in over this last season please remember everything currently happening has happened before and will happen again.

It wasn't till the half way thru this letter that I realised it was written in the 80s.

Screenshot_20220825-084309_Facebook.jpg

Probably 1979, noting an apparent reference to ‘Cranky Franky’ as Australian coach. 10 May 79 was the Thursday after Manly had lost their 3rd game in a row, to Balmain at Leichhardt. A 12-7 result. Prior to that, they had lost to Norths 20-17, then Parra 28-13 - both at Brookvale.

Hyde and Laws both had columns in RLW and that looks like that publication’s typeset.

You are right though, nothing changes with the media.

These days the players are full time, overpaid people who were born with a genetic that made them an elite sportsman. Some are elite idiots with god syndrome fetishes and really don't buy into what playing for Manly means. That won't change because us supporters would bleed for our club and play for free, the current player thinks "I'm here and I'll milk it for every cent".

I think this is the fault of player managers getting in their faces to early in life. The need for greed, no loyalty, do what you have to, nothing more unless there is extra $'s available.

Problem here is it's not just Manly who has the problem.

Even though you may feel the world is falling in over this last season please remember everything currently happening has happened before and will happen again.

It wasn't till the half way thru this letter that I realised it was written in the 80s.

View attachment 22056
Haha went to school with David Heath he still has some strong opinions about most topics.

You can't really ask the media to not comment on a club who appear to be imploding on and off the park though.

The difference between then and now is it was obvious the fans perceived the team were all pulling in the same direction despite what the media stated.

To me, we look like a group of individuals, all pulling in their own selfish, and different ways / directions, with a coaching staff, management and ownership not responding to that with the required edicts to change the culture.

Starts with a complete lack of accountability really. Our club needs an entire labotomy.

The '79 and '80 seasons weren't great but we came 7th and just missed the finals. We had a number of injuries but you always felt we were in most games with a shot. We had strong administration which didn't fu*k around and by 1981 and 82/83 we were back in finals and grand finals. Any comparison to this current shiitshow circus isn't founded at all.

Probably 1979, noting an apparent reference to ‘Cranky Franky’ as Australian coach. 10 May 79 was the Thursday after Manly had lost their 3rd game in a row, to Balmain at Leichhardt. A 12-7 result. Prior to that, they had lost to Norths 20-17, then Parra 28-13 - both at Brookvale.

Hyde and Laws both had columns in RLW and that looks like that publication’s typeset.
12-7????
20-17?????
28-13???????

OMFG! what a disaster.

That won't change because us supporters would bleed for our club and play for free
while that sounds great in practice I'm smelling BS.

A lot of supporters are happy to call this quote from the stands but in reality, 99.9% would no way do what these guys do for the love of the club and for free.

It's easy to say that as a supporter but let's not forget this is their job. Would you go and work somewhere for free that belted the living ****e out of you half the year? don't think so.....

while that sounds great in practice I'm smelling BS.

A lot of supporters are happy to call this quote from the stands but in reality, 99.9% would no way do what these guys do for the love of the club and for free.

It's easy to say that as a supporter but let's not forget this is their job. Would you go and work somewhere for free that belted the living ****e out of you half the year? don't think so.....
Well mate I don't think so. Granted I'm a dinosaur but in the 70's & 80's I did, drove to my games in Datsun 120Y, played for my free uniforms drinks and food. Worked 2 jobs on top. I also think there would be many who did the same. We loved RL, we played RL, we lived RL.

Then would you work for free. Well I'm the boss and I work for free, the wife takes it all, so "I think so!"

The '79 and '80 seasons weren't great but we came 7th and just missed the finals. We had a number of injuries but you always felt we were in most games with a shot. We had strong administration which didn't fu*k around and by 1981 and 82/83 we were back in finals and grand finals. Any comparison to this current shiitshow circus isn't founded at all.
Yes poor old Allan Thomson was shown the door after one season (1980). His namesake, Alan Thompson, suffered a similar fate nine seasons later. He was severely burnt off.

Well mate I don't think so. Granted I'm a dinosaur but in the 70's & 80's I did, drove to my games in Datsun 120Y, played for my free uniforms drinks and food. Worked 2 jobs on top. I also think there would be many who did the same. We loved RL, we played RL, we lived RL.

Then would you work for free. Well I'm the boss and I work for free, the wife takes it all, so "I think so!"
Love the sentiment and I'm not calling you out as I'm sure u probably would.

But 2022 is a far far cry from the 70s and 80s when 99% of 1st grade players had a day job or 2 and trained 3 times a week.

Footy was for the love of it which is a different beast to todays professional game.

View attachment 22056

Mark from Brisso was writing letters way back then!

"Noice"

Putting up with the Datsun 120Y alone gets you in the category of "I am resilient and can deal with a lot" - it was probably the worst car they ever made.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2