The Main Issue - Rnd 23

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
Not good enough.
It seems the forwards are expecting the backline to create the opportunities without the forwards building the foundation.

Apart from Choc and JSL who gave our forward pack a bit of aggression, the others are NOT.

Last year, the Roosters had it with JWH, etc.
This year, the Burgesses is paving Souths way.

We need our forward pack to show the opposition teams who's boss.
Right now, Killer ran with more purpose than some of our forwards.
I hope Dunamis comes back soon because we need the likes of him and JSL to get in the face of the opposition, without giving away penalties.

Back in Round 2, Kingy took it to the Burgess Bros. The aggression helped us win. The recent game against Souths, the forwards didn't do that and we lost.

If we don't fix our forwards issue, we won't get far. Any of our forwards that are fielded, MUST run angry and mad. Must be like rabid. MUST be like Matai. If we play like that, we'll lift the big one in October. It's simple football for the forwards and we need to play out our sets.

Tooves also said the completions were terrible.

The Parra game is crucial. It could determine how we'll go forward from here on.

Our premiership campaign turns around in two when Gift returns.

Watmough is just hitting his straps again and King is providing impact from the bench.

I thought Hasson, Horo and Symonds was solid yesterday. Lui wil return and might pressure these guys too..

I am more than happy where we are, remember we have at least 7 matches to go. It's a long way to even get to the big matches.

No matter what happens it's been a great year.

bob dylan said:
Our premiership campaign turns around in two when Gift returns.

Watmough is just hitting his straps again and King is providing impact from the bench.

I thought Hasson, Horo and Symonds was solid yesterday. Lui wil return and might pressure these guys too..

I am more than happy where we are, remember we have at least 7 matches to go. It's a long way to even get to the big matches.

No matter what happens it's been a great year.

Well Said!! Need more of these sorts of posts vs finding anything wrong with the guys trying their guts out week in week out

I actually thought that using Horo as an impact forward was a great move. He and Foz have a great understanding and now his small frame wasn't battered to run the lines deep into each half. :cool:

Kingy too looked slim and fresher than he has for a while.

Manly just need to let all Ref decisions go.
Their frustration at dumb calls just serves to destract them :idea:

The 2nd issue for mine yesterday was the reshuffled backline. Blair took hiku's wing spot, and hiku took matai's centre spot. They did ok but not as fluid as normal.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
A mistake to start Symonds not Horo?

I thought Symonds was very good yesterday.
I think Starlo, BJ, Hasson and Horo should be more aggro legally (like JSL), and adopt Maguire's "roadkill" in targeting certain key players to be rubbed out of the game via strong and legal tackles. Giving away penalties is a definite no.

I thought Horo had his best game of the season yesterday; he ran with genuine purpose and didn't drop the ball once.

Ramrod said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:
A mistake to start Symonds not Horo?

I thought Symonds was very good yesterday.
I think Starlo, BJ, Hasson and Horo should be more aggro legally (like JSL), and adopt Maguire's "roadkill" in targeting certain key players to be rubbed out of the game via strong and legal tackles. Giving away penalties is a definite no.

I watched the seconds half yesterday and didn't really like what I saw from Symonds. He does things too slowly for my liking to be in the backline and does not show enough mongrel to be in the forwards.

I don't know what it is, he always looks fit and tidy, but every time he gets the ball I have doubts he will create anything.

Ramrod said:
Not good enough.
It seems the forwards are expecting the backline to create the opportunities without the forwards building the foundation.

Apart from Choc and JSL who gave our forward pack a bit of aggression, the others are NOT.

Last year, the Roosters had it with JWH, etc.
This year, the Burgesses is paving Souths way.

We need our forward pack to show the opposition teams who's boss.
Right now, Killer ran with more purpose than some of our forwards.
I hope Dunamis comes back soon because we need the likes of him and JSL to get in the face of the opposition, without giving away penalties.

Back in Round 2, Kingy took it to the Burgess Bros. The aggression helped us win. The recent game against Souths, the forwards didn't do that and we lost.

If we don't fix our forwards issue, we won't get far. Any of our forwards that are fielded, MUST run angry and mad. Must be like rabid. MUST be like Matai. If we play like that, we'll lift the big one in October. It's simple football for the forwards and we need to play out our sets.

Tooves also said the completions were terrible.

The Parra game is crucial. It could determine how we'll go forward from here on.

I'll disagree with your opinion on this one.

The Manly of 2011-2014 era is not like the 2007-2008 version albeit a few exceptions. This Manly does not rely on aggression or brute force to be on top of the table, I would rather call it intensity. While Matai and Watmough and King from the old school still bring the aggression, which is important to have, most of the team relies on ball control, structure, sustained high level play and a game plan to win game. A Manly game plan is always the same: high intensity ball control and line structure each set plus intensity in defence to set up a myriad of "pot shots" at the opposition through backline skill whether it be a trick play, a smooth backline movement, or sustained intensity from possession that breaks down the opposition.

It is no secret that the Manly team has the best backline in the competition. The forward pack role is to "hold" not dominate so that these pot shots can eventuate and with a backline like Manly's it's a higher percentage play.

If Manly turned to aggression and bashing the opposition this opens up a myriad of problems that cannot be managed in the modern game: these include injuries, penalties, and kinks in defense. It is just not possible to play that way any more and the brains trust have figured that out.

In saying all of that, aggression and a little bit of hate are always part of Manly's game. But it is controlled aggression and hate they can turn on at any time. I'll give you a bad example but a relevant one: the 0-4 loss to the Roosters last year which one of the most incredible, brutal, and intense games I have ever seen. Manly had played pretty soft games in the lead up to that game but boy did they turn it on on that day and it was only an incredible defensive effort by the dominant team of the year to hold Manly out.

I like what I am seeing this year and Manly are ready. I think with the flu ravaging the team a bit and Matai being out, you aren't seeing the best, but they will turn on the intensity big time for week one and three and the grand final.

NYEagle

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4