The Mad Scientist sets poor example

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
This article is a few days old now, but worth a read....

Tony Durkin. 4th September 2015

THE wider rugby league community could be excused for thinking Des Hasler is either a smart alec, a non-conformist or just plain dumb.

But whichever caps fits, the Bulldogs coach has once again felt the wrath of the NRL, and his attempt at humour has received precisely what it deserves.

His latest anti-authority outburst has cost him $20,000.

Although descriptions one and two in the opening sentence are more likely the most apt portrayals of Hasler, the last is certainly not applicable.

He is not dumb - far from it, in fact.

Hasler is listed on the Australian Catholic University website as one of their star 12 alumni.

But his 'Mad Scientist' nickname is not correlated to his academic qualifications. It is a reflection of his ability to think outside the NRL coaching square.

Hasler was at the helm at Manly when the club first employed now-disgraced sports scientist Steven Dank, and he reportedly injected his players with calf's blood and tracked them on his mobile phone GPS long before other clubs started the now-standard practice.

And speaking at the Bulldogs launch this year, Hasler turned heads when he urged his players to look to inspirational Indian independence leader Mahatma Gandhi for motivation.

Relaying a famous Gandhi quote about thoughts, words, behaviour, habits, destiny and values, five times Hasler used the word positive.

It was, apparently, a riveting address.

But how can his players take him seriously when he flagrantly flies in the face of authority? Why should they respect the very same referees he ridicules with such contempt?

With his incessant negativity towards officialdom, is it any wonder captain James Graham and young gun David Klemmer acted like out-of-control lunatics during that ugly Good Friday clash against the Rabbitohs?

And with the example he sets for fans, was it a surprise to anyone that some Bulldogs supporters that night behaved like thugs?

Sure, Hasler can be entertaining in his press conferences, but he isn't funny.

He can also be cutting, and he can be extremely condescending.

And there is little doubt that what he says - as was the case last weekend - is carefully planned and has a hidden agenda.

But the bottom line is that he deliberately flouts the rules as laid down by the NRL - rules that govern coaches commenting on referees. He is consciously negative about a game which pays him so well, and he continually damages the image of rugby league.

And that begs two questions - how can he expect his players to be disciplined when he shows scant respect for authority?

And if he believes the game is so poorly run, why doesn't he surrender his $1 million plus salary and try to do a better job?

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/the-mad-scientist-sets-poor-example/2762788/

A nothing article. He's all about results. So if he has to beg, borrow, steal, murder, or as the author mentions ' deliberately flouts the rules' for the sake of results, then he will.. and he does.

I don't think he is a likeable guy, but as shown with his conniving defection of 2012, he doesn't care what anybody thinks of him - as long as he gets the choccies.

yeah I agree; nothing article. The moron didn't even bother giving a direct quote, he just says "as was the case last weekend", like whatever happened last weekend is common knowledge?! I don't really know what he was getting at, other than he doesn't like Des Hasler.

I hate Hasler for his past transgressions against the club as much as the next manly fan

That said i absolutely support his stance against substandard officialdom

We all bitched and moaned about the refs under the Finch regime, what we should have realized by now is how much we need a similar refs boss to Finch or Finch himself

They were a billion times better under that peanut than the ****wits who've replaced him

It's been a succession of ****wits since Finch

Double his play, give him free hookers and food and get our ****ing refs to be decent again

So if Des is all this. I would rather have that than a coach who coaches his teams to win at all costs through illegal wrestling tactics and condone cheating on the salary cap and using the fact his club was caught out and rightly stripped of the things they won during that era. Bellyache has hurt the game and he's perceived as a great coach.

The writer didn't understand the significance of Des' Gandhi focus. He reported Des' Gandhi inspiration then said:
"But how can his players take him seriously when he flagrantly flies in the face of authority?"

Gandhi's life was all about flagrantly flying in the face of authority. Radically using rules and limitations to the best advantage. That radical stance is EXACTLY what Des was seeking to inspire in his players.

So if Des is all this. I would rather have that than a coach who coaches his teams to win at all costs through illegal wrestling tactics and condone cheating on the salary cap and using the fact his club was caught out and rightly stripped of the things they won during that era. Bellyache has hurt the game and he's perceived as a great coach.
Some of Dessie's boys were pretty vile with their tackling style on Saturday. Plus he'd be phoning Slimeberg to get those boys cleared for this Fri.

Not condoning Bellyache or other coaches, but Des definitely is no saint himself.

And if he believes the game is so poorly run, why doesn't he surrender his $1 million plus salary and try to do a better job?
Wouldn't be much of a downgrade - Dogberg & Richo are being paid approximately $750K per year so Smith must be on around $1m.

I don't think the referees boss is the problem per se; it's the games governing body that constantly dictate to the referees how the game is to be adjudicated...what's worse is it's usually done on a whim, based on some article written in the Daily Telegraph.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4