The Luke Brooks Book Thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How can we afford Brooks? Unless he would accept half his current salary.
We already have Turbo, Jurbo, DCE and The Shoe on top salaries...
Maybe Penn has discovered Easts' sombrero?
Well, that’s a different story all together lol
I have no idea, I thought brooks was on about a million per season, but I highly doubt we would pay him that..
Freeing up the fainus, Arthur, johns etc might have something to do with it but I honestly don’t know anything about our cap management lol

I just think brooks is a lot like dce over the last few years, tries his guts out in a side full of bludgers.. hopefully we can get ride of some of our own bludgers and get the best out of the kid

ok i’m coming around to this idea

DCE is a warrior and could play 3/4 more years easy

brooks with him in the halves will be good

Just need to boot schuster tho, he’s not worth the cash he wants and even if we put him in the back row he is still a turnstile
I think Schu in the back row/lock could be a great thing... but... the price needs to be reasonable and his attitude to the shift, positive. If the above two things happen, the release of pressure from him having to carry that key spine position and the ability to have greater freedom to play a natural game while others carry the spine responsibilities, could be brilliant.

I like it. I’m going to reserve judgement unlike some of the tough markers around here.

Before getting injured brooks was one of the in form 7’s in the game this season and that coincided with the tigers strong form. I always felt sorry for him the at the tigers, he copped a lot of flack because of the stupid money he was on that the tigers were willing to throw at him and then he was surrounded by duds and expected the world of him.

He, partnered with DCE will be a strong combo, he has plenty of experience and with the money he’s on it could be a potential bargain if he plays for us like he has this year.
Schuster back to an edge and we suddenly look a lot more balanced. He is not a 6. But he can use those silky skills to be an upper echelon backrower.
I watch a lot of tigpies games (self-flagulation) and Brookes is playing as well as I have seen him play and his defence is much better than years gone by…

3 years ago I would have thrown the baby out with the cot over this signing but right now I think he offers more than Shuster at 6… the Schu may end up being 10x the player Brooks is but right now he is less durable and less able to direct the attack and just not committed enough in defence…

Brooks is (a piece towards) a viable solution atm - we still need better service from 9 and more agile/durable/intelligent forwards to support the halves (plus Parker back and Koula to recommence his pre-2023 development path)…

whether it works remains to be seen but hopefully this is move 1 in a recruitment chess game (gotta admit that I will be more than happy if it is the last move that involves recruiting from the tigpies tho)..

I think Schu in the back row/lock could be a great thing... but... the price needs to be reasonable and his attitude to the shift, positive. If the above two things happen, the release of pressure from him having to carry that key spine position and the ability to have greater freedom to play a natural game while others carry the spine responsibilities, could be brilliant.
I really like the idea of him at 13 but that big question is will he commit to playing there, isn't it. He could really become one of the best there with his size and skills. As you say, he'd have a lot of freedom and they really play like a 5/8 anyway these days.

My concerns still mostly rest with our forwards. We've got a few really good players but we need 1 or 2 workhorse types. 1 more high quality outside back would be nice though.

I don't hate this signing but I don't love it either. Schuster back into the back row is probably the right choice, he's not offering much at 5/8. Brooks to 6 or even 9 would be an improvement on our current squad. I am also very happy to see the back of Tartak as soon as possible.

The biggest concerns I have are:
  • What the hell are our recruitment team doing?
  • How do we generate the kind of appeal to to be a more attractive destination to more than Tigers players?
  • We need to stop signing Isaac Moses players.

yep, not for 1.2

If it’s part of a broader strategy to cut these player-managers down to size (and other clubs follow suit) it could be a very good move.

Hopefully we seem some official announcements shortly, not just newspaper speculation. Like this from Danny Weidler and Dan Walsh at the SMH:

Luke Brooks to link with Manly on four-year deal​

By Danny Weidler and Dan Walsh

Luke Brooks is set to join the Sea Eagles on a four-year deal from next season.

As reported by this masthead, the Wests Tigers five-eighth has been targeted to partner Daly Cherry-Evans at the scrum base, with a long-term deal since being negotiated.

Brooks recently knocked back a three-year extension from the Tigers, worth about $600,000 annually, to test his value on the open market after 11 seasons at his junior club.

At 28, he has long been a lightning rod for criticism at the joint-venture, having never played finals in a 200-plus game career.

By the same token, Brooks had been in impressive form until suffering a hamstring injury three weeks ago, with Tigers coach Tim Sheens and his successor Benji Marshall both keen to retain the playmaker.

Brooks ranks as one of the highest earners in the game this year on a back-ended deal worth more than $1 million this season, but has long been prepared to take a significant pay-cut on his next contract.
Luke Brooks is expected to land at Manly.

Luke Brooks is expected to land at Manly.CREDIT: GETTY

Brooks’ prospective signing continues upheaval on the Northern Beaches as a swap deal that sends Latu Fainu to the Tigers and outside back Tommy Talau in the opposite direction remains on the table.

The bid for Brooks raises queries around Josh Schuster, though a three-year extension offer has been tabled to keep him at Manly.

Schuster has previously pushed to be the Sea Eagles’ first-choice five-eighth with veteran Keiran Foran linking with the Gold Coast last year to accommodate the 22-year-old.

Schuster’s middling returns and fitness struggles have raised questions about his place in the halves, though Manly have regularly maintained he is still in their long-term plans.

This masthead reported on Sunday that interest from the Tigers in securing Schuster has been knocked on the head by Marshall.

The club’s new recruitment boss Scott Fulton has close ties with Schuster, the Fainu family and several other Manly players after scouting them to the club.

He had told club officials that he would be well-placed to entice Schuster to the Tigers if they wanted to pursue his signature.

However, Marshall, who will take charge of the club as Sheens’ successor in 2025, has told the club that Schuster is not the answer to the Tigers’ halves dilemma.
Anyone else interested in the small fact that the man who anointed Schu as the holy grail of halves is not interested in coaching him…

Anyone else interested in the small fact that the man who anointed Schu as the holy grail of halves is not interested in coaching him…
Part of that might be because he is not impressed with Fulton’s transfer to the Tigers, coupled with the potential for Schuster reuniting with Scott at said Tigers.

Plus as you intimate, he might consider Josh ‘Teddy Goodwin’ Schuster too much of a problem child.

I've gotta say, I honestly like the Brooks news.

He is a proven 1st grade quality player
650k per year is not exorbitant.
I can see him and Cherry combining well.

And, someone at the club is finally doing something different. We need change, cause it ain't working now.

The thing I like is that it is a total shock. Same as the permission for Latu to negotiate. Whether I like those developments or not (haven't even had time yet to work that out!) it is nice to know big things are happening, even though there was no warning sign, no public whispers.
Means that someone at the club is at least attempting to do something!
It makes the club look like they’re asserting their authority & taking back control from player managers & petulant players.

I’m all for it, it’s long overdue.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8