The Local Narks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
For some time now an activist group called the Brookvale Valley Community Group has worked to counter any development projects put forward by the MW Football & Leagues Clubs.

If you recall, when Max Delmege first became a sponsor of Manly, part of the deal was for the Football Club offices (opposite the Leagues Club) to be redeveloped to a three storey building. Some of the space would be sold off to commercial interests with Delmege and the club splitting the profits. As far as I’m aware this project is still in play but the local whingers have been successful in having a decision by council postponed for about 3 or 4 years now. As we have now moved the core of the Football Club functions to Narrabeen they may not be too worried about it.

The big residential development project (for the car park) outlined by the Leagues Club last year will also be the subject of a massive battle with these same whingers and the council if it is to get off the ground.

The other pet whinge of this group is the installation of decent lights at Brookie. Manly has had support from Warringah council and the Federal Govt has now allocated $1m for the project but these jerks are still trying to prevent it from happening. The danger is that due to the old council being sacked a couple of years ago we are currently in the hands of a single independent administrator (Dick Persson). As Brookie is council owned land he could still cause problems.

I have reproduced below a recent letter from the Manly Daily. Underneath that is a letter I have sent off to the MD yesterday. I really wanted to abuse the bloke but I tried to keep it civil so hopefully it is printed. Can I suggest that anyone else who feels strongly about Mark Baxter’s sly letter also sends a note off to the Manly Daily. Let’s show him that there are plenty of people out there who want the lights installed.

The email address is [email protected] and you need to keep it to about 250 words.

Manly Daily Letters to the Editor Friday, 10 June 2005
Use grant for turf, not lights

The Federal Government’s Budget gift of $1 million for new TV-standard lights for the Sea Eagles is the latest raid on public funds to support what has become a private shareholder-owned company, the majority owner a real estate agent.

Touted as a victory for the northern beaches, the lights can only be used for up to six night matches a year, a condition of approval by the independent assessor due to the impact on residents. A major beneficiary is likely to be News Ltd which “owns” the NRL and wants the lights for its pay TV interests.

If the money is to be spent on the oval rather than hospitals or schools, it would be preferable to put the $1 million towards an upgrading of the turf and drainage system so it can be used more intensively and by other sporting groups and also community and school groups.

Dick Persson, as administrator of council-owned land, could simply request the money be spent on the turf.

Mark Baxter
Brookvale Valley Community Group

My response,

Light it up

Mark Baxter (Use grant for turf, not lights MD, June 10) and his friends from Brookvale valley need to realise that the world is bigger than their little neighbourhood.

Installation of lights at Brookvale Oval does not just benefit the Manly rugby league football club or News Ltd. It will benefit the thousands of supporters (many of whom are local residents like you Mark) who follow the team along with other users of the ground.

The real purpose behind your stance would appear to be more related to those thousands of supporters disrupting your world for a few hours every couple of weeks. Many people, including myself, live near sporting venues and have to periodically put up with increased traffic, noise and lights. We all chose our address and if the negatives outweigh the positives we look to move somewhere else.

Rather than constantly looking for ways to stymie the efforts by the rugby league club to improve their fortunes you could recognise the entertainment opportunity they provide to a large number of families and individuals.

The fact that the lights could only be used for up to six matches a year is presented as an argument for not installing them at all. I would imagine that this group of activists are the reason why the six game limit is there in the first place. Having failed thus far to halt this progressive move Mark is now trying to influence the council administrator to redirect the use of the Federal Govt budget grant.

Please stand aside and let the lights shine on the entertainment at Brookie.

I will send one as well, thanks for the tip. I presume this is todays paper.

The original letter was published last Friday (10th June). I sent my one in late yesterday.

Heres mine:

Mark Baxter (Use grant for turf, not lights MD, June 10) and his little neighbourhood action groups attempt to destabilise the installation of lights at Brookvale Oval is nothing short of a greedy grab at maintaining their own narrow minded view on life in Warringah.

The lights will not only be great for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, who have been proudly representing the district since 1947 but also for the many thousands of Warringah Council rate payers who support them.

Many other community groups will also be provided with the opportunity to use the Oval’s lighting and the Council will also be able to obtain more income by renting the oval out to other tenants throughout the year. This will reduce the overall financial burden of maintaining the oval on the rate payers in the Warringah Shire.

The Brookvale Valley Community Group should stop thinking about their own backyards and for once consider the requirements of the majority Manly, Pittwater and Warringah council’s residents.

One requirement is having a first class community sporting facility with lights.

Dick Persson turn the lights on now � you are being paid to represent the view of all the residents of Warringah, not self indulgent unelected interest groups.

Great reply both Bradza and Wheel.

The fact that the club no longer uses Brookie to train at night and has moved to Narrabeen should be seen as a plus.

It is not as if these people moved into the area prior to 1947!

Doesn't Sideline on ME live across the road from the main entrance - he should write a letter as well. Usually groups like this are only a very small bunch of people but they make a lot of noise - promoted by the media of course!

As for the lights issue, it sounds like they would prefer to have the whole place shut down and stop the many kids in the area having sporting idols to look up to and try to be. Its idiots like this that cause obesity in our society they cant see the big picture and just think of themselves, little johnny isnt a member is he?? Sounds like something he would do.

Good letters! theres always local fools who get in the way of progress!

I'm surprised the greenies arn't involved!

The vocal minority has struck again with an article this time in today's Manly Daily.
The headline reads "Locals tire of game" and the Brookvale Valley group are at it again whinging about noise etc from Brookie. Laughable stuff.
Daniel, you should grab the article off the MD site and publish it at AE as it is too long to retype.
I don't post at the other sites but maybe someone can repost my original message to ME and OEE. We need to provide some balance to this argument. If we can get a few letters going into the Manly Daily it will at least let them know there is another viewpoint.
I have no problem with people being pissed off if cars are parked across their driveway or their property is vandalised but if you live near to a sports oval that has been in use for over 50 years then you have to expect some periodic disruption to your life.
Letters can be sent to "[email protected]" or faxed to 02 9977 2831.
There's a long section for up to 250 word letters and a short "To the point" section for up to 40 words pieces.
They ask for a daytime phone number and address. That info is not published but they won't use your letter if the info isn't provided.
You can also lodge a letter through the MD website.
Let's get some noise out of the quiet majority.
A stinging letter would be right up Matabele's tree wouldn't it?

Bradza I have put your post up on ME forum. Hopefully there will be some response to that.

I will also send a letter direct to Mr Persson

Here is my Email to Mr Persson

Dear Mr Persson

I have been interested in some recent media coverage (Manly Daily) the Brookvale Valley Community Group has been receiving regarding the future of Brookvale Oval and the playing of football games there.

Any community deserves to have a decent sporting/cultural facility which can be used as a multi use venue for not only sport but many other community orientated events/activities.

With the recent approval of a Federal Government grant to improve lighting Brookvale Oval is slowly developing into one such facility.

These new lights will not only be great for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, who have been proudly representing the district since 1947 but also for the many thousands of Warringah Council rate payers who support them. It should be noted that Brookvale Oval has been in its current location and the Sea Eagles have been playing there for well over half a century.

I would say that this is well before the residents in this vocal minority even considered living in the neighbourhood. When they did move into the Brookvale area they did so in the knowledge that Brookvale Oval is used for football games in a national competition and the associated ‘side effect’ that this brings. There is an old saying ‘let the buyer beware’ � if they didn’t consider this then more fool them. They have no right to agitate for change now.

Brookvale Oval and Many Sea Eagles are a cultural icon on the Peninsula and should be developed and maintained like any other iconic community facility.

Many other community groups will also be provided with the opportunity to use the Oval’s lighting and the Council will also be able to obtain more income by renting the oval out to other tenants throughout the year. This will reduce the overall financial burden of maintaining the oval on the rate payers in the Warringah Shire.

The Brookvale Valley Community Group should stop thinking about their own backyards and for once consider the requirements of the majority Manly, Pittwater and Warringah council’s residents.

One requirement is having a first class community sporting facility with lights.

Mr Persson, as a Warringah Council rate payer, I believe as the Administrator it is your responsibility that you should be considering what benefits the whole community .i.e. the silent majority not some unelected, self indulgent vocal minority.

The lights at Brookvale Oval should be approved immediately. I would like to be assured that your current position on this matter is in line with the attitude of the majority of residents in not only Warringah but the entire Peninsula.

Thanks Bradza, hopefully a few others will join in the fun and send some more Emails.

After chasing them up and having a go at them for not giving coverage to both sides of the argument my letter was finally published in today's Manly Daily.
We'll see what Mr "Pinko" Baxter has to say now.

Good stuff Bradza, I still haven't heard back from the Council. I haven't seen todays paper yet but look forward to reading it when I get home.

Just read your letter Bradza. I can't believe you had too hassle them to publish it, there has been no sign of any other letters on this topic either. Who actually sent the Daily a letter?

This is great stuff guys. If I get time I'll weigh into the debate as a stakeholder in the area from afar.

Distant Manly fans inject a lot of $ into the area from afar.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4