The little things

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We have a great coach. Not one part of me thinks we need a change. At the same time this thread is a good evaluation at seasons end. What those who watch our team, think are the areas our coaching staff can improve upon.

All the criticism is legitimate food for thought. Our one percenters were ordinary this year. We are all disappointed at the inability of DCE to set up for a field goal on the fourth or get far enough back on the fifth to have a kick at goal, it cost us the game.

Jamie Lyon's goal kicking average has to be one of the worst in the comp. I'd like to see DCE kick.

Taufua has struggled since day one under the high ball, we employed an afl coach earlier his year but 8 months on he has still not improved.

Toov's lack of forward rotation. I have seen him get it right at times this year.

Id like to see Toov's experiment a little more next year. With some big names perhaps moving on, it may just be the making of Geoff. And bring a new spring of life to this team. Forget how the senior playing group operate. This needs to be 2v's team.

Toov's to me seems to want a more mobile team then Des did. More second row types, JSL, Hasson, Choc, playing up the middle. I really think we lacked a little size at times this year. Horses for courses. But against some teams playing Lui in the second row and another big body like a Joey G and Vic Mauro used to has merrit.

Cliffy said:
Jamie Lyon's goal kicking average has to be one of the worst in the comp. I'd like to see DCE kick.

From memory, prior to Killer retaking control of the goal-kicking duties, when DCE was kicking the goals, his success rate was as bad as and probably worse than Killer's. Neither could kick from the sideline with any great success.

We definitely need to find someone who can place them between the sticks from anywhere within kicking distance to be sure of us ever getting our tries converted because as it is now, whenever we score, 9 times out of 10, they are scored near the sideline and I basically write off our chances of getting 6 points because of Killer's lack of success rate from kicking from the sideline. I don't think that DCE is the answer either to the current goal-kicking problem.

Rudolph kicks for Reggies and averages 83%!

He was 2012 NYC top points scorer & top goal kicker and 2nd overall for NYC in 2013.
He's a good, consistent goal kicker with an envious conversion % average.
And here is an interesting stat I found: Due to a pre-season shoulder injury and a mid season broken leg, Rudolph only played 10 rounds in NSW Cup in 2014 (Rd 5 - 14), but he still managed to finish inside the NSW Cup Competition top 10 top goal kickers (8th) and top 10 points scorers (7th)!

As for Gutho's kicking.... it was seemingly great in U20's SOO but back in NSW Cup for Manly......... Well let's just say he might want to forget about those stats altogether and start fresh again next year!! Harsh? Yes, but true! :)

I could just say the same to U @"Wombat Legacy"
(I disagree with U; Get over it).
Far better to either expand your view, or let it stand and allow others the same right to an opinion.

@"Cliffy's is God" Goal-kicking percentages can be misleading (esp when a team scores far more often out-wide). As we do, or did this year. *That's related to your view of needing a bit more size up-front. We more often "went around" teams (utilising our strengths) as opposed to "going through" defences closer to the ruck and up-the-middle. *We set up and DCE executed a perfect FG to level it up v. the Dogs. (Had Reynolds or other's not been off-side in Golden Point, we could've repeated that too). Even Hodkinson missed a couple of attempts before nailing their winner.

We're obviously aware of this, having recruited a class-kicker in Rudolph (don't have much control over him breaking a leg). *We also identified a "need for more speed" buying Satini and Berryman. *And whilst 2V does see the game legitimately shifting to a more mobile forward pack, he's not far off the recipe, finishing equal 1st, before Finals. And we're looking at bringing in some size(eg. Baker) to compliment the quality of our squad.

Injuries @HK_Eagle do play a vital role, especially in clutch games or Finals. 2V even referred to it in pressers throughout August and Sept (that injuries and suspensions had hurt Us), and at the worst possible time. He (and the staff and players) aren't trying to "fool" anyone, including themselves, as far as using it as an excuse. *It's just common-sense and a reality, if we lose men like Ballin and Choc, plus Buhrer and Gift (and out-of-form quality players like Taufua and Wolfie) from our top 17, we're going to struggle more. *End of the day I trust Tooves and co. (AND Dave Warwick) to get things just about right, before anyone here (including myself!).

As I've said, add Ballin, Buhrer and Choc (at least) and we'd have won against the Dogs, no doubt. (With the zip of Hodges on the bench, too).

One BIG thing will help all of this (more than the little things being discussed). *A big, angry beast of a prop to compliment the almost-as-good as any side we had again this year.

@Rivereagle

Great post and reply to this thread I started.

But I'm greedy. I would want us to getter better at all the little things. And I would agree, it would be nice to have the most punishing prop in our team

Some good points people.

Firstly, I can't agree that injuries (and suspensions) were just an excuse. Not only did we lose players, we lost KEY players. Players we couldn't easily replace. It greatly diminished our fluidity and robbed us of attacking options. Our defence also suffered greatly. You can't take a 50 tackles a game player like MB out a side and expect it to not have an affect. There's no denying that had everyone been available, all 4 outs would have been automatic starters.

The need for one or two big enforcers in the middle has been done to death. We just have to have them if we're going to match it with the bigger packs and give DCE and Foz the space they need.

I wouldn't say our we're slow in the backs. Just adequate. We need to make sure we keep Gutherson on the back of the 6 re-signings announced yesterday. (Great news btw....but that's another thread)

While there are some things to work on, I'm sure Tooves and his staff are on to it and the decade of dominance will continue. We're good enough to add another title on the next couple of years for mine. Souffs and the Rorters are losing some key personnel so I'm envisioning a bit of a dip in their form.

Whatever the outcome, bring on 2015. The off season is just too long. Hopefully the club sends out lots of emails keeping the members informed of what's going on.

Mark from Brisbane said:
The Who said:
I really think the NRL needs to change the scoring, 2 points only for try's scored as bombs with conversions only 1 point.

You'd still get bombs but only in close games and even then in the last 10 minutes only.

I disagree.

That would mean teams would play a 'golden point' type offence in the last ten minutes.

The 'allioop play' or 'Hail-Mary' from the NFL is a good idea. It is a part of the game. It is and can be spectacular.

In fact I'd like to reward this play with a goal attempt from right in front if caught on the full and planted down for a try. If it is bounced around and goes through several pairs of hands it would be a normal try. By doing this it would virtually assure a well placed kick and catch in goal of being a 6 point try.

This way it would mean that defences would tighten up the edges around the goal line trying to stop the 6 pointer and leave the middle a bit less unguarded.

By doing this there would be more room with a couple of less defenders to run a try up the middle. (Thus having your desired effect of minimizing 'allioop' tries.)

I get the feel of over-complicating it with these latter posts, referring to scoring.

Keep it as simple as possible there.

Absolutely though, it should be Golden-Try only (in Extra-Time).

We're not Aussie Rules; even Rugby Union relies too much on kicking influencing point-scoring and outcomes, rather than actual football and scoring tries.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4