The kind of stuff that makes your heart bleed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c_eagle

Reserve Grader
Manly have betrayed me, says Monaghan
From the SMH

Sea Eagles captain Michael Monaghan says he feels betrayed by the club he has helped transform from cellar dwellers to frontrunners.

Just hours after the Sea Eagles declined to offer him a contract for next year, Monaghan told The Sun-Herald his immediate future was likely to be in England.

His manager Jim Banaghan says he has already fielded interest from two English clubs, including Warrington.

The Sea Eagles halfback, who turned out at Henson Park yesterday to cheer on Manly's Jersey Flegg side against the Roosters, said he felt he'd been naive throughout the negotiation process and was hurt by the club's suggestion he was holding out for more money.

"They basically told me I had two weeks to perform, and I got man of the match on Friday night [against the Roosters] and put in a decent performance the week before and I still don't have a contract for next year," he said.

"The most disappointing thing was for them to come out and say I've asked for more money when not once have I asked for a cent more than they offered.

"They've basically tried to make me look bad, but they can't say I asked for a single cent more than they offered me.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

"It would have been nice if they'd been honest in the first place, instead of starting stories about how I wanted more money."

But the 25-year-old was adamant the strained relations between himself and the club would not affect his performance for the rest of the season. "I don't play for [coach] Des [Hasler] or [executive director] Paul Cummings," he said. "I play for the other 16 blokes out there and that'll be my focus for the rest of the year.

"I'm not going to get too worried because we've still got half a season to go and I'm going to keep playing well for the same reason I wanted to stay in the first place - for the other blokes at the club who are really good friends."

While his future remains uncertain, Monaghan conceded there was probably some truth to rumours that Manly were looking at Storm halfback Matt Orford as his replacement.

"Manly now have to find themselves another halfback and it'd be pretty naive to suggest they haven't talked to other players, they've obviously been talking to someone," he said.

Orford yesterday refused to comment about Monaghan's sacking but said the drama over his contract negotiations would be likely to end this week.

Despite the setback, Monaghan was up-beat about his future in league, saying he'd like to use the opportunity to travel and play overseas, but wouldn't rule out staying in the NRL if an offer came up.

"There's been some interest already so I'll look at heading overseas and do a bit of travelling while I play footy," he said. "I'm only young and haven't had an opportunity to travel and it's something I'm interested in doing."

Monaghan's dad Stewart said yesterday he too was upset and felt the club had turned its back on his son.

"Last season when Manly were really struggling and the coach was struggling and trying to get wins, Michael put his hand up and helped Des out," he said.

"It seems this year when Michael needs a little help, Des has turned his back on him."

Manly issued a statement yesterday saying: "At this stage Manly are unable to make an offer to Michael Monaghan and that was conveyed this morning to his manager Jim Banaghan by Paul Cummings and Des Hasler."

Sure takes the gloss off the win imo.

This sums it up imo.

"This is a kick in the guts. I'm gutted," Monaghan said last night. "If Manly came up to me a month ago and said: 'Listen Michael, we want to go in a different direction', I would have been upset, but I would have copped it on the chin and made other plans.

"But to string me along like this, and play all these games, is pretty gutless.

"Basically I've been punted. Loyalty is clearly not a two-way street at this club."

wow. hes right. How does this make Choc and the others feel... this is bad for team chemistry and basically have no chance of a possible solution with Monas.

Hes gone. Probably best if he asks for a release. Whats the bet we never had an offer fielded in the first place. What a joke of a management. We look like the biggest idiots right this instance.

Thanks Manly. Ruining a great season for us all.

KaZa, if you want a case of the ultimate irony, have a read of Mata's thread about loyalty and beaver menzies. Gosh, the level of cynicism I have towards professional sport has increased 1000% in a matter of days.

gents he makes out as though we begged him to come to manly,we signed him because the raiders didnt want him and he had very little in the way of other offers.as for you kaza please dont right that sort of **** about management,if it wasnt for their good work we would still be running last,c eagle wake up and smell the roses pal when has the nrl ever been about sport its business which ever way you look at it.for the life of me i cant understand why everyone is so upset about losing a guy thats been a two season player from canberra reserves.he has done an admirable job but management obviously want to win a comp and we cant with him at the helm,i apologise for management wanting to be even better than we are now.

Vegas so what do you say about the 30% BS Cummings went to the media with?????????????????????????????????

I can write whatever i want. You write more bull**** then i do. Im supporting our halfback whos led the club to no.1

Noone can say we cant win a premiership with Monas. Were certainly on track for finals footy for the first time. Weve struggled to have a consistent halfback and just when it seemed like were set to settle on a halves combo.. we change it again.

What i dont understand is why Monas isnt being kept as a hooker. Somethings going on...behind the scenes and i think we will never know

gents he makes out as though we begged him to come to manly,we signed him because the raiders didnt want him and he had very little in the way of other offers.as for you kaza please dont right that sort of **** about management,if it wasnt for their good work we would still be running last,c eagle wake up and smell the roses pal when has the nrl ever been about sport its business which ever way you look at it.for the life of me i cant understand why everyone is so upset about losing a guy thats been a two season player from canberra reserves.he has done an admirable job but management obviously want to win a comp and we cant with him at the helm,i apologise for management wanting to be even better than we are now.

I suppose we didn't make him a club captain either?

"But to string me along like this, and play all these games, is pretty gutless."

How can you do that to your skipper? I'm really disillusioned.

Good management doesn't mean only results matter. "Any means to an ends", great philosophy. It's really dissapointing.

An vegas stop pulling this canberra reserve grader out, he's the captain, and wasn't Dessie a Penrith reserve grader at one stage?

Sorry guys, while I love MM, I don't think he's worth 240k a season yet. MM has the right to ask for more, but Mgt has the right to say no.

Sorry guys, while I love MM, I don't think he's worth 240k a season yet. MM has the right to ask for more, but Mgt has the right to say no.

Did you even read the original post?

What the hell do you know about the salary cap, the amount we have spare, what a halfback should be worth, what a captain should be worth, how to correctly divide up a salary cap to create a winning football team? It's just a stupid comment. You're probably comparing it to the wages you earn.

since you guys are so pissed off at the club and their treatment of players perhaps http://www.souths.com.au/ is more your flavour!

everyone claims it is a business, if management did that to workers in industry moral would be so low that output would drop substantially and workers would also be thinking about strikes.

if anyone had any thoughts that the anti tampering meant something then at least you have learnt something out of this

everyone claims it is a business, if management did that to workers in industry moral would be so low that output would drop substantially and workers would also be thinking about strikes.

if anyone had any thoughts that the anti tampering meant something then at least you have learnt something out of this

You should look at the IT and IT Sales industries. This is common practise. It backfired on my company when they asked me to look elsewhere and theyn they re-hired me for $15,000 more and then gave me a further $5000 pay rise.

It happens often in business.

I agree with Crusher re. Monas not being worth 240,000 a year- he has performed well for us but not worth that much.
As far as having a go at crusher re. not reading the original post and dan for steering you towards the Souths website, maybe you should step back, take a deep breath and wait till the full facts of the matter have come out before you start bagging management- the same management who have put together a team to get us where we are at the moment. We should atleast have the trust in them to be able to continue to improve this club. It's easy to sit back and bag them because of what we hear in the media but how much of a spin is actually put on all those reports.
At the end of the day if it is viewed in the best interests of the club I will agree with any decision by management no matter how negative a spin the media put on things!

[quote author=Fluffy]

You should look at the IT and IT Sales industries. This is common practise. It backfired on my company when they asked me to look elsewhere and theyn they re-hired me for $15,000 more and then gave me a further $5000 pay rise.

It happens often in business.
[/quote]

so paying heaps more for you is good management.

i think there is some bias there mate, that is bad management

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4