The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters
The Incomparable Immortal was once quoted
" You need the right cattle on the field to get the job done "
End Quote

Players that are made from the right stuff

Deep breaths Bozo .. deep breaths ... don't go into spam mode.

In a rare moment of dark pessimism ... I had the horrendous thought that Jake and Turbo may well become 2 of the best blokes and players ever to wear the Maroon and white ... to tragically retire without winning a premiership. This would be a painful injustice.

We are not at self-flagellation and wringing of hands state yet ... but we are not far from it .. Jake is 29 shortly, and Turbo is 27. Realistically Jake has what? 5 years left and Turbo 6/7 if injuries kind .. less if they aren't .. And we just came of 12th place and employed a contoversial coach.

And Seib's will be in charge of Manly for at least 3 of those years unless sacked. So, a very big part of whether they win a comp or not, is connected to Seib's ability to win a comp .(How you feeling now)

Which starting me thinking ... who have been our best players not to get a gong ... Ben Kennedy, but he was not here long enough for that to be a tragedy ... The Legendary Roy Bull would be one ... who else ?
We are so far off the pace that thinking we can win a premiership in what they have left of their careers with Manly is laughable.

With not many third party deals at our disposal and when three players take up so much of our salary crap and one of them hardly plays it's pretty hard to build a quality side around them that is capable of seriously competing for a premiership. We might make the semis this year (best case is bottom 8 but I don't think we will). In our last great era players were taking unders to win comps and stay together. This team doesn't have the same mindset.

Ben Kennedy ..... give me another Ben Kennedy.

Gutho is another one who comes to mind ..... and I hope he never wins one.

We are so far off the pace that thinking we can win a premiership in what they have left of their careers with Manly is laughable.

With not many third party deals at our disposal and when three players take up so much of our salary crap and one of them hardly plays it's pretty hard to build a quality side around them that is capable of seriously competing for a premiership. We might make the semis this year (best case is bottom 8 but I don't think we will). In our last great era players were taking unders to win comps and stay together. This team doesn't have the same mindset.

Well, that's it then .... we are doomed ..

I can understand your Melancholy Manly perspective since we have not won a comp over 10 long years .

But I do not agree with this all hope is gone feathered friend

We have under achieved and have been so far off the pace but that does not mean we are not still in the race because we have a quality squad capable of progressing into the finals
and hopefully our coaching staff is capable to inspire them all the way to a Grand final win

Nothing is guaranteed in life
and we all must continue to live in hope and there is plenty of hope at Manly

Cheer up and I hope you have a Great day being a Great proud Manly person @Wombat64

Mascot Eagle Strutting Proud Tough Which Stock Vector 723915646 ...

I really think Manly recruiters need to sign up Weekes for a couple of years to ensure we have a backup for Turbo. I think Turbo is one of the best I've seen at Manly but his injury worries remain a curse. Weekes may or may not be the ideal replacement, but what we've seen suggests he'll do a good job if Turbo goes down again. The risk of not signing him is the old eggs in one basket. Someone else will come along and grab him. If he fails, that's part of the gamble. But what we've seen suggests he's worth holding onto.

I really think Manly recruiters need to sign up Weekes for a couple of years to ensure we have a backup for Turbo. I think Turbo is one of the best I've seen at Manly but his injury worries remain a curse. Weekes may or may not be the ideal replacement, but what we've seen suggests he'll do a good job if Turbo goes down again. The risk of not signing him is the old eggs in one basket. Someone else will come along and grab him. If he fails, that's part of the gamble. But what we've seen suggests he's worth holding onto.

But ... what if manly are trying to sign him ... but his manager is advicing him not to sign .. on the basis that he will get enough game time this year to double his asking price ... it's a gamble .. but it's what I'd be telling him.

i dont think Jake has much more than 3 years, he has been lucky with injuries but i feel the game is getting quicker and unfortunately he is going the other way, he will be 31 at the end of this contract, 32 by the time next season gets underway, reckon he will be done
Yeah you might be right about Jake. He's definitely not trending in the right direction.

Let's hope that changes with a new coach and game plan.

If the East Blacktown recruits don't start making things happen towards a premiership they need to all be shipped out as their window is starting close too. I give then 2 years.
But of course I'm not making assumptions. There is no reason why these guys cannot make a massive contribution - talent like Koula, Ola, Tui, Schu cannot be denied and they definitely have the capability to step up and make a massive conribution just like lengends past. But will they?

NYEagle

Well, that's it then .... we are doomed ..
I just hope I'm really wrong and that the young fellas and the new coaching crew that the majority here a.k.a "kumbaya crowd" have so much faith in actually deliver the goods. So far they've delivered less than nothing and although as my financial advisor says "past performance is not a guide" it's the only benchmark I've got. Our forward pack are hopeless buttercups. No premierships without decent forwards.

One of the best days of my life was watching Beaver score in the 40 0 GF and I'd love nothing more than to watch the T brothers go out the same way. Maybe they could take a bit less money and we could buy the ammo that they need.

Last edited:
I just hope I'm really wrong and that the young fellas and the new coaching crew that the majority hear a.k.a "kumbaya crowd" have so much faith in actually deliver the goods. So far they've delivered less than nothing and although as my financial advisor says "past performance is not a guide" it's the only benchmark I've got. Our forward pack are hopeless buttercups. No premierships without decent forwards.

One of the best days of my life was watching Beaver score in the 40 0 GF and I'd love nothing more than to watch the T brothers go out the same way. Maybe they could take a bit less money and we could buy the ammo that they need.

This forward pack will surprise you .. with Dessie and KA-poop gone ... you watch the change in attitude and style ...

This forward pack will surprise you .. with Dessie and KA-poop gone ... you watch the change in attitude and style ...
Change of Image, attitude and style would be ideal

It has been a long time that a Manly pack has been labelled a feared pack

This Flat Track Bullies passive aggressive, submissive Image has to go

In a rare moment of dark pessimism ... I had the horrendous thought that Jake and Turbo may well become 2 of the best blokes and players ever to wear the Maroon and white ... to tragically retire without winning a premiership. This would be a painful injustice.

We are not at self-flagellation and wringing of hands state yet ... but we are not far from it .. Jake is 29 shortly, and Turbo is 27. Realistically Jake has what? 5 years left and Turbo 6/7 if injuries kind .. less if they aren't .. And we just came of 12th place and employed a contoversial coach.

And Seib's will be in charge of Manly for at least 3 of those years unless sacked. So, a very big part of whether they win a comp or not, is connected to Seib's ability to win a comp .(How you feeling now)

Which starting me thinking ... who have been our best players not to get a gong ... Ben Kennedy, but he was not here long enough for that to be a tragedy ... The Legendary Roy Bull would be one ... who else ?

That’s an interesting question woodsie given we have won a premiership in each decade since the 70’s a lot of players have won. How about Ian Roberts. He was in the side that lost to the dogs. But sat out 1996.

That’s an interesting question woodsie given we have won a premiership in each decade since the 70’s a lot of players have won. How about Ian Roberts. He was in the side that lost to the dogs. But sat out 1996.

Yeah .. definitely ... but as I said earlier, jake and Tom being local boys just makes it more poignant.

And your correct ... ask the same question ar Norths, cronulla or parra and the thread would rival the foran files in size.

Yeah .. definitely ... but as I said earlier, jake and Tom being local boys just makes it more poignant.

And your correct ... ask the same question ar Norths, cronulla or parra and the thread would rival the foran files in size.

Yep would be pretty sad if Jake & Turbo don’t win a comp. Lets hope that it’s not the case 🤞

I can confess to expressing this thought to others on more than one occasion in the past Woodsie.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4