The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I think we've seen the last few weeks why Jake is so important to us...

Our middle defence has been very vulnerable and he will be a huge inclusion in a defensive sense when we get him back.

Keppie has been OK in patches but again, last night, he was caught out not pushing off the line hard enough for the McGuire try. Also, needed more from Garrick in D on a play like that. He needs to put his body on the line. The concerning thing about that try was the Dragons could have scored through De Belin as well, if McCulloch cut McGuire out on that play. Our defence was shot to bits.

Jake T will help tenfold.

I think we've seen the last few weeks why Jake is so important to us...

Our middle defence has been very vulnerable and he will be a huge inclusion in a defensive sense when we get him back.

Keppie has been OK in patches but again, last night, he was caught out not pushing off the line hard enough for the McGuire try. Also, needed more from Garrick in D on a play like that. He needs to put his body on the line. The concerning thing about that try was the Dragons could have scored through De Belin as well, if McCulloch cut McGuire out on that play. Our defence was shot to bits.

Jake T will help tenfold.
The glue that holds it all together. Love Jake 👍

Keppie goes good, he just doesn't have the motor, or fitness, or a combination of both, to play 13 in today's game.
Agreed! 2 weeks in a row now they tired him out for a try. This week dessie took him off much earlier.

I think to be fair to Keppie, he is a prop with a good motor, but his playing 13 and working his balls off to cover Jakes role, last night and last week in particular he worked himself stupid, ok so he come up with a couple of fatigued plays, all up no problem, his work rate was outstanding, will be glad to see Jake back and Keppie back in the FR rotation, if Aloia is back, giving us 5 props, I think playing the extra big man on the bench is not a bad thing, even resting one prop when or if the circumstances suit.

Pretty obvious- is it darker at night than day right
Very true...maybe the most inspirational defensive leader in the game.....he also adds steel by leading with that harder contact, setting the bar for winning collisions and bruising the opposition....I also have no doubt, though as fans he seems quiet, the Manly middles would have him in their ears all day giving both direction and motivation.

Last edited:
100% tightens up that middle, but his passing taking it to the line then delivering a ball out in front of dce is so underrated. Allows dce to pop up out wide and run and then pass. Jake also has that great combo in the middle with his brother and that select pass

I think to be fair to Keppie, he is a prop with a good motor, but his playing 13 and working his balls off to cover Jakes role, last night and last week in particular he worked himself stupid, ok so he come up with a couple of fatigued plays, all up no problem, his work rate was outstanding, will be glad to see Jake back and Keppie back in the FR rotation, if Aloia is back, giving us 5 props, I think playing the extra big man on the bench is not a bad thing, even resting one prop when or if the circumstances suit.
That's it! I think Keppie has a good motor, he's problem is he goes 100MPH and hasn't learned to pace himself to play longer minutes in different positions. He is still quote young and raw and I love the way he plays. He is a tough hardened old school type footy player and someone you would definitely want on your side

100% tightens up that middle, but his passing taking it to the line then delivering a ball out in front of dce is so underrated. Allows dce to pop up out wide and run and then pass. Jake also has that great combo in the middle with his brother and that select pass
Yes!

It's gonna be good to see our Jakey boi back. Even though it was an injury it was a long break that was much needed and deserved. He has actually never had a break during the season except for when origin games are being played. Since 2015, just been grinding out games, only missing one or two weeks a year. Insane. We know what he offers in leadership passion and defence. One of the best middle defenders in the comp. One thing I just hope with this break is he's going to be a little more aggressive in attack, haven't seen him break a line for a while. I also hope he's worked on his discipline, none of that support player jumper grabbing, or just slow ruck clearance that makes us conceded six agains. I do always hear the whole "Jake Tolman" thing, even from our own fans, so I hope with this break Jake finishes the season off strong, going back to old 2018-19 form.

Keppie, a prop (built like a big, mobile, skillful prop) playing LOCK no less, and people are bagging him? That'll honestly do me. I's Walker at fullback/halfback/ 5/8 all over again.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4