The Haka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

6/71

Reserve Grader
Well it was a novelty at first but I think the time has come for it to be banned. I have numerous issues with it and the display in the U20s game was the nail in the coffin for mine.

It is a war dance. Why should a team be made to stand there while one mob bounces around, butts heads etc. Perhaps the Australians should be allowed a cavalry charge in response? It's a sport, not a battlefield regardless of the hyperbole accompanying the event.

If a player puts one on the chin after being headbutted what happens then?

I have long felt the Haka to be a ridiculous and embarrassing farce. Yeah Yeah it's cultural, I get it, so let it be performed at a cultural even, not a sporting event.

I think they should continue to do it at home games, but it should be at the discretion of the home nation to allow or disallow it.
To me it gives the NZers a big advantage when the home nation should have all the attention and momentum.

I have always loved the Haka but the way they used to do it, not the "new" way.

These days it seems to be about getting in the face of your opposition and trying to unsettle them. It looks disgraceful and disrespectful and not what the Haka should be about.

If i was one of those boys, i would've wanted to thump anyone sticking their face in mine.

Keep a 3 metre distance and they can go for it.

I also think the All Stars/Indigenous game where the Aboriginal Tribe dance with spears and stick them in the face of the All Stars Team is disgusting.

How is that supposed to be build togetherness and goodwill?

Imagine if one of the All Stars guys reacted to a spear in their face. They will be blamed for being disrespectful but the Indigenous dancers aren't.

Keep them dancing but again, at a respectful distance.

I love the Haka - the way it pumps up the players only generates more excitement before kickoff....watching Aussies play NZ live at Suncorp this Saturday night & the Haka better be loud , aggressive & add to the atmosphere, its part of the tradition & love the emotion.
Had a NZ player recently explain its meaning, so important to the NZ players & its a big part of their history...100% Haka fan right here.

manlywarringah said:
Imagine if one of the All Stars guys reacted to a spear in their face. They will be blamed for being disrespectful but the Indigenous dancers aren't.

Keep them dancing but again, at a respectful distance.

It's funny you mention that, in the All Stars game a few years back when Jamie Lyon played, a spear was stuck into the ground very close to the foot of one of the allstars. The look on Jamie's face said it all...it was very much a WTF?? How is this fine?

don't mind the haka....

kick off should be immediately after....that'll make them kiwi's scarper.

oi

Many Maori elders feel the haka in a sporting context, is an inappropriate display of their culture.

I agree that it is part of the theatre, but isn't it now just a tired cliche that has a bit of 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi' about it? Feels that way these days.

I'm also a big fan of the haka. I understand it's cultural significance to the kiwis but I think it pumps up the opponents too - you know it's "game on".

And as a spectacle / moment of theatre, I think it's awesome for the audience - both live and watching on the telly.

push it up Manly.
cheers

The All Blacks Haka was fantastic, and respectful to their opposition.

The Junior Kiwi's was "in your face absolute crap", and totally disrespectful

That's all!!

How many of these guys are actually Maori ? I'd love to know what the other polynesian guys in the team think of doing a maori war dance. I know the All Blacks have Tongan, Samoan, Fijian, Anglos, probably the odd Cook Islander....kind of takes a bit of the significance away in my book.

It used to be kinda cool, the first 163 times you saw it anyway. Now it's kinda ho hum IMO.

The Samoans in Union at least have one too (so do Fiji and Tonga)so the the league team may perform it during 4N too.
6/71 said:
Well it was a novelty at first but I think the time has come for it to be banned. I have numerous issues with it and the display in the U20s game was the nail in the coffin for mine.

It is a war dance. Why should a team be made to stand there while one mob bounces around, butts heads etc. Perhaps the Australians should be allowed a cavalry charge in response? It's a sport, not a battlefield regardless of the hyperbole accompanying the event.

If a player puts one on the chin after being headbutted what happens then?

I'm sure if the Wallabies or Kangaroos wanted to perform some kind of Aborginal challenge other teams wouldn't object

If they want to do it, they should enter the field of play five minutes earlier and do it before the Aussies run out.

Can't see anything wrong with advancing, you have to stay on your side of the field though. As far as I'm concerned, if the Kiwis are allowed to do the haka, you should be allowed to respond in any way you like, within reason, of course.

I don't mind the Haka actually.

One question I have is whatever happened to the Aboriginal dance the Kangaroo's used to do before tests? It disappeared in the 1960's.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6