The Great Brad Arthur on MMM

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He speaks really well and analytically. I understand what the players see in him. And I finally understand the whole 'everyone knows their role' crap that has been trotted out in the Bellamy era. Because if you can break a job down for some of these athletically talented but not so intelligent footballers it makes them doing their job a whole lot easier. The way he spoke about Radradra (and I am not implying the blokes a dimwit just new to high level rugby league) was a case in point. Just saying I can see the attraction.

His players put in for him. Toovey's don't. That was the difference last night, because I still say we had a better team on paper.

Are you accusing Jamie Lyon of not putting in because he had a very ordinary game - much below his worth "on paper".

Just make sure you don't listen to his hypnotic tones for more than eight consecutive minutes. That's all it takes for him to automatically convert anyone into a Parramatta supporter. Even folks who hate the NRL aren't immune to his supernatural charms…

I was feeling a kind of magnetic pull then James Hooper asked a question and I did an involuntary vomit in my mouth. Thank god.

You have to hand it to him

There was almost complete agreement, even with injuries, our side had more talent. Whilst he is not the only factor clearly it is an influence

The build up for Para was like it was their GF. For us it was like we weren't playing this weekend. I believe that had a lot to do with the result rather than who was better on paper.

Yeah Brad Arthur, so amazing, soo I spirational. He's so good in fact that people totally overlook the fact that all he's actually done is coach a squad to tenth. But wow, what a guy...

One thing that struck me listening to Arthur on MMM was the contrast between him and Tooves. Not his fault but it feels like Tooves has been in damage control from day one in the job.

He is always being asked about aging rosters and contract negotiations and seems to spend most of his time trotting out cliched lines like "We haven't really spoken about that", "We don't worry about that stuff", "We just concentrate on football" and "I'm confident/hopeful they will both(2015)/all(2012) stay"

One thing that struck me listening to Arthur on MMM was the contrast between him and Tooves. Not his fault but it feels like Tooves has been in damage control from day one in the job.

He is always being asked about aging rosters and contract negotiations and seems to spend most of his time trotting out cliched lines like "We haven't really spoken about that", "We don't worry about that stuff", "We just concentrate on football" and "I'm confident/hopeful they will both(2015)/all(2012) stay"

I think you've nailed a key point there @Brookie Brawler. It seems that Tooves has never been given the luxury of being settled into the role. And what I admire most is he has NEVER hidden from the media. He might not answer everything, but he has been extremely accessible to the media, been on NRL 360 a lot and has done his best to promote Manly and Rugby League.

Are you for real? Tooves got a squad that just won a premiership and Arthur got back to back wooden spooners - hence the differing expectations.

Are you for real? Tooves got a squad that just won a premiership and Arthur got back to back wooden spooners - hence the differing expectations.

Completely understand re expectations. I have NEVER been as confident of a premiership at the start of 2012 season as I was in 2012, despite the Des dramas.

My point was that despite taking over the premiers (and we all know how easy it is to ho back to back), Toovey has always been in damage control, with this media inspired self fulfilling (Orr assisted) slow burn of a mass exodus over the last 3 1/2 years.

Ironically there would probably be other teams that have changed more than we have since 2011 come 2016 - even if Foz goes too. Admittedly this is based only on a particularly strong hunch.

Maybe Tooves should have handled things differently. Maybe if Authur had been in his position he might have handled things differently. The fact is Toovey was the ONLY man for the job and I think we were extremely lucky to have him.

I feel like the players didn't respect him enough to cop any tough calls he had too make and that is the players fault if thats the case.

I just think Tooves gig was much harder. When you start at the top te only way is down. Obviously it's the opposite for Arthur. Anything he does is hailed as genius after two years of spoons and the cluster**** of Ricky Stuart

So Arthur is great because he gives players defined roles? Hello that is coaching 101. No miracle here.

Agree completely @Loobs. My point was supposed to be that Tooves never really seems to be able to do an interview in circumstances where the club hasn't been in damage control and his results would be great in any circumstances but they are incredible with what he has had to deal with.

If management think the fans are mad now they don't want to see what will happen if Tooves gets shafted.

It's called the price of success! Arthur has achieved nothing and is coaching a club that has been the laughingstock of the NRL for years!
Parts of the media have been pushing/ praying for us to go backwards for the last few years. We have made the finals for a decade. People want to see us fall. Supporters from other clubs would love nothing more than hearing/ reading about our demise. I suppose 2V out Of necessity has learned how to nullify the media etc. If he says something in a way that can be spun it will be spun!

Agree completely @Loobs. My point was supposed to be that Tooves never really seems to be able to do an interview in circumstances where the club hasn't been in damage control and his results would be great in any circumstances but they are incredible with what he has had to deal with.

If management think the fans are mad now they don't want to see what will happen if Tooves gets shafted.

I was gonna say in my initial post that Toovey never gets the opportunity to express himself like this because he has been hiding down speculation his players are fighting, leaving or too old since he has been in.

The point about Arther is that he spoke well when describing how he had made a plan for Radradra. If you didn't hear it piss off with your coaching 101 comments.

If Arthur is the messiah, why did Hayne leave Parra? What's the difference between Hayne leaving and DCE and possibly Foran leaving, the answer is none. All sorts of excuses and reasons can be given why Hayne left but in the end he is no longer there.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4