The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 6

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
Welcome to the weekly "The Good, the bad and the ugly report" - rd 6:

The Good:
Plenty to like about the performance over the Warriors. Our defence was absolutely superb only letting in one very early try and one very late try after an understandably exhaustive set of repeat sets when the game was well won. The fact that the scoreline wasn't more like 30-10 was probably down to the conditions more than any shortcomings. In terms of player performances there wasn't a weak link anywhere, but in particular Hoppa was absolutely superb filling in at fullback again, and fully deserved to be MOM. Strong in attack, set up a key try, and solid as a rock in defence including a classic Brett Stewart try saving cover tackle that had the crowd on their feet. Can you believe he's only a teenager? Robbo also really excellent with his keen as mustard aggressive kick returns, and Matai again all over the opposition. Foran? What can I say, he's now become our most important player, our Carney and more. This guy WILL win us a premiership. I just love the way he runs hard and straight to not only send the defence back pedalling but his incredibly mouth watering ability to slip the perfect short ball time and again. Every time the ball is in his hands you sense excitement. DCE kicking game was also superb. For years I've been shaking my head at players (ok yes Orford) who barely find the touch line and 10m from a penalty. Finally we have a kicker prepared to smack the ball 40m plus downfield and what a difference it makes putting us on the major attack. Couldn't fault any of the forwards, Kitey was obviously bolstered by leading out the team for his 150th (cute kids in tow) and running with much more purpose (tho I still have one niggle see below). Guluvao again proved he's been our most damaging ball runner this season, Choc was extremely solid tho not spectacular (and that's not a bad thing), Ballin again proved why we don't need to waste a bench spot with Seu Seu, and our 3 main bench forwards were fantasitc. How good is the kid Buhrer, I just love his enthusiasm, and George and Mauro both hit it up with incredible intensity. T Rex? The very good (ie relieving) news is that Dessie now realises his days as a starting back are only for emergencies. Yes yes yes he scored a stack of tries but don't make me go back to the defence thing again we all know you can't reverse a bus without a 3 point turn. And the very best part of "the good" last night? Our depth. To think that Brett, Shane Rodney, Wolfman and the very impressive new forwards Tim Robinson and Harrison were all in the dugout is incredible. If/when everyone is available it's going to be a nightmare decision to somehow whittle down Robbo, Hoppa, Wolfman and the extremely impressive Oldfield to just 2 wing spots. But injuries are inevitable (eg as shown already with Brett) so it's a wonderful problem.

The Bad:
I really like DCE, in just 6 games I think he's well ahead of where Hodkinson was this time last year. But with his hands on the ball when we are set to attack, he's making me groan. I'm talking about the sideways, left, right, start, stop, jink, freeze, go thing. It does my head in. We don't need a new Orford. Hopefully Dessie or Joey Johns will sort it out. And yes he's only played 6 games and will only improve. T Rex playing 9 min off the bench at the end of the game? Sure we won comfortably, sure the game was over, but I just don't like the under 12's style 'ok give him a run at the end' thing. No real damage and at the of the day he'll be very handy in the no 17 especially given we don't need Seu Seu. Kitey's bizarre 5/8 obsession. What is going on there? At one stage last night he was so confused about what to do with the ball that he froze, the game froze and we all froze. Odd.

The Ugly:
The weather = the crowd. Again it screams why we need a Gosford style stadium at Brookie, and fast. Clearly very few are going to brave the hill in that weather and it's just plain depressing to see such an empty ground. And that bloody ground announcer. Please is he the dullest guy in history or what. "Where are you Manly fans?" Trying to avoid you thanks for asking. Call the score and shut up. Zorba please please please can we have the legend Goldie back?

See you at Brookie on Good Fri night. Can't wait.

Excellent reading.
What was good if not great from last night was the enthusiasm of the entire team. It's as if the kids, Foran DCE Buhrer are infecting the wntire team with their attitude and energy.
The ultra bad from last night was the crowd.
Pathetic.
Bring on the Tinkler /Cf2 initiative of $40 family tickets.
Watch the place fill up.

One extra thing I forgot to add to the good report was the fact that Dessie's proved the old school thinking of picking 2 props and 3 back rowers in a starting team is long dead.

We are now playing 3 starting props in King, Kite and Guluvao with Choc and Glenn playing 80 minute wide running forwards (and almost centres), which combined with 2 extra big props George and Mauro on the bench, and the brilliant Buhrer, gives us a very very strong pack.

And as I mentioned Robinson and Harrison are also very good back ups. Robinson was excellent in both the Roosters and Souths games.

cf2 is back said:
Welcome to the weekly "The Good, the bad and the ugly report" - rd 6:

The Bad:
I really like DCE, in just 6 games I think he's well ahead of where Hodkinson was this time last year. But with his hands on the ball when we are set to attack, he's making me groan. I'm talking about the sideways, left, right, start, stop, jink, freeze, go thing. It does my head in. We don't need a new Orford. Hopefully Dessie or Joey Johns will sort it out. And yes he's only played 6 games and will only improve. T Rex playing 9 min off the bench at the end of the game? Sure we won comfortably, sure the game was over, but I just don't like the under 12's style 'ok give him a run at the end' thing. No real damage and at the of the day he'll be very handy in the no 17 especially given we don't need Seu Seu. Kitey's bizarre 5/8 obsession. What is going on there? At one stage last night he was so confused about what to do with the ball that he froze, the game froze and we all froze. Odd.

the dce stopping before the line thing hes got going on i think is just confidence. it seems like hes still too scared to step into the defensive line with some force. suppose it'll come with experience though.

and the brent kite thing was pretty good. i think both teams stopped and looked at the ref when he stopped and didnt know what to do, was funny lol

also forgot to mention buhrer. the kids a gun. best hole runner ive seen since well..the beaver. had st merge mates calling me up during the match saying he looked the goods

I think its just teething problems with DCE. He's just trying to come to grips with what worked playing at lower levels, ie QLD cup and 20s and the NRL level. The good thing is he's not reliant on one facet of his game to make an impact. Young halves can struggle when the one thing they've done well their entire career doesn't cut the mustard in the top level and their confidence levels can drop.

Last night was the first time he was really worked over in defence by an opponent. Lewis Brown (who I rate big time) really targetted and him and whilst he did have a few problems at times dealing with him, he didn't shirk it and didn't go into his shell and still tried to contribute in when we had the ball. All good signs and just another part of his journey growing into the quality halfback we all hope he will be.

It was noted earlier that we needed a Gosford style stadium. Did you see the crowd Easts got at Bluetongue? Less than ours!

The Bad: I'd like to add - the cost of tickets. I always go on The Hill, but on Saturday my son and I thought it might be wise to sit under cover in the Fulton-Manzies Stand. I was shocked that the price was $40 per seat! That's way too much, and must have plenty to do with less crowd numbers.

The Who said:
It was noted earlier that we needed a Gosford style stadium. Did you see the crowd Easts got at Bluetongue? Less than ours!

The Bad: I'd like to add - the cost of tickets. I always go on The Hill, but on Saturday my son and I thought it might be wise to sit under cover in the Fulton-Manzies Stand. I was shocked that the price was $40 per seat! That's way too much, and must have plenty to do with less crowd numbers.

At the wet roosters game as the best "stadium" in Sydney the SFS there were only 10K for 2 sydney teams so the whole we need a Gosford thing is just BS excuse for fans not wanting to go when its wet.

The Turtle stop stating is because he is looking for a runner. He is a talented kid and seems to be a player who thinks on his feet, so once the rest of the team get used to it. we will get penetrating runners. if he keeps it up he should have Watmough and Stewart in holes pretty soon

DCE is a work in progress and given the development of Foran's ball skills this year, we can afford to bring him on slowly without heaping pressure on the kid. You must remember that most players become 1st graders after playing the odd game here and there like hoppa and buhrer, however DCE has not been afforded that expereince.

Hoppa won't want to go back to NSW Cup, could you see him there now? Lyon to 5/8 and Foran to half and Hoppa will be right centre?? Greta sitaution for us with backs!! Can't see Hoppa too happy on the wing but where do we put him :-/

Darren said:
Hoppa won't want to go back to NSW Cup, could you see him there now? Lyon to 5/8 and Foran to half and Hoppa will be right centre?? Greta sitaution for us with backs!! Can't see Hoppa too happy on the wing but where do we put him :-/

Could put him on the wing but give him a roving role.

The Eagle said:
Its a bit of bad luck,he wont be in at full strength

You could argue that he would trump Dave Williams for a spot.

A bit of a break from FG at sometime during the season wouldn't be the worst thing for Hoppa though. He would surely be feeling the effects of his stint so far, he is still a teenager going up against grown men after all.

Wolfpack,honestly i think Williams is to popular to drop from a money perspective and Robertson while still extremely solid doesnt draw crowds,id more expect the streak to end before the Wolf is shown the door

He is popular, but not that popular. He is a great player when be can actually get on the field but the injury problems at getting a bit ridiculous now. Would be well harsh to drop Robbo over Williams (Assuming that you must drop one as Hoppa needs to continue playing) as he is playing great & is safe as houses.

Williams to NSW cup so he can carve it up & show the other teams that he is worth a contract in 2012. Cant see him staying with us unless he wants to get paid squaddies wages TBH.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7