The GOOD problem at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
This Manly team is sailing along in style and only improving !!
Thing is we have won games by 50 + without Tom, Jake, Schu, Aloiai, Fainu, Sirro, Goz, Boyle, Davey and a few of these are "MUST" inclusions...
Without a doubt players from this list who "WILL" be in if available -
  • Schuster
  • Jake T
  • Aloiai
  • Fainu
The "MAYBE's"
  • Sirro
  • Davey
  • Goz
  • Boyle
  • Saddler
Thing is - where will they play...I think the way Jake is going could be just as effective as a front row option with nice quick plays and the ability to play early footy at the line.
Schu will maintain his back row spot and obviously offers 5/8...even centre option
Aloiai was arguably the best Manly forward before injury and is a lock for the 17 imo.
Fainu (will save opinion till we find a result) , but definately make the 17 after a few weeks in Blacktown...and an X factor player, the mod game will only work more in his favour
Davey likely won't be back 2021, but he added so much energy that would have been a definate consideration off bench,
Boyle an honest toiler, but see him as a backup to injury
Sirro in this current game could easily play more central instead of on the edge and add more, but lucky to be in the 17 based on his form in recent times, but still rate his ability.
Saddler is defs just backup.

Anyways a good problem to have and backup in most area's with this current squad....thing is, who will lose their spots with the way we are travelling...top of my head I see Burbo and De Guis back to Blacktown, though Burbo will be a fixture from game 1 in 2022 imo and could get a few more games at top level in 2021....what's the thoughts ??

Des playing a wider group of players who are all performing has been part of our formula of success. I expect it has done wonders for player morale as well. The sky is the limit for this playing group now.

Hope that Saddler can be retained , plenty of upside , not too sure if Siro [ and especially with his current contract value ] Jet Ski and Boyle can be on the most preferred re signing list . Maybe Sirro could offer something this season but could hardly displace Haumole and Schuster in the back row or Lawton with his versatility . Davey and Burbo will be very useful squad members going forward [ well when Davey is available again ] Probably again illustrates that really do not need any more name forward signings or any other name signings for that matter for next season .And yes , to definitely re sign Sipley .

Even if Fainu is found not guilty, gets a couple of weeks at Blacktown and stars, he is not coming into my best 17 unless there is an injury to Croker or Lawton. Croker has earned the right to wear that no.9 jersey for the rest of the year, assuming his form holds.

I’d even go as far as to say that it would be a massive risk from a team harmony perspective for anyone who has slogged it out and performed all year to be dropped at the business end of the season for him. So, absent injuries, I am ruling a line through Fainu for 2021 and look forward to his return in 2022 (if found not guilty).

Even if Fainu is found not guilty, gets a couple of weeks at Blacktown and stars, he is not coming into my best 17 unless there is an injury to Croker or Lawton. Croker has earned the right to wear that no.9 jersey for the rest of the year, assuming his form holds.

I’d even go as far as to say that it would be a massive risk from a team harmony perspective for anyone who has slogged it out and performed all year to be dropped at the business end of the season for him. So, absent injuries, I am ruling a line through Fainu for 2021 and look forward to his return in 2022 (if found not guilty).
I strongly disagree. If he is fit and firing, Fainu needs to be in the team. Croker has done a great job and I’d love to find a spot for him but Fainu takes us from a top 6 team into a genuine premiership contender

I strongly disagree. If he is fit and firing, Fainu needs to be in the team. Croker has done a great job and I’d love to find a spot for him but Fainu takes us from a top 6 team into a genuine premiership contender

If Tom, Foz, DCE and Schu are fit and firing, we have enough points in us. But after 2 years out, at the business end of the season, and question marks about his shoulders, it’s a massive risk to give him the responsibility of holding up our middle at the most intense time of the season. I just can’t see him getting to Croker’s standard (both efficacy and work rate) in defence this year, and defence in the middle is one of the most critical aspects of the game, especially in finals.

Fainu has talent for sure - he was one of my favourites before his stand down - but I think there is a risk of overstating his present powers at the same time as underestimating how far Croker has come this year in this team. Croker has definitely bridged the gap between the pair to the extent that you’d have to say, this year, it is highly unlikely that Manase will be the difference between winning and losing a comp. Next year, after a full offseason and hopefully a full season, he could be the guy that takes us to the next level. But not this year.

I also personally don’t think he has earned the right from his career achievements to date to essentially be straight back in. I know JDB went straight back into the Dragons team, but we are talking about a seasoned Origin player who remained one of the fittest in the club while out of the game. Not to mention the Dragons were flat lining.

You make fair points.

It is true thet one thing that often rears it's ugly head is the complete disregard of the impacts on team harmony that some people can have.

A better example could not be found than the Glenn Stewart fiasco which pummelled the club into a 6 year stint in the wilderness......because inept and egotistical administrators did not have the grey matter or human skills to find a better way.

Dangerous territory indeed and must be handled masterfully by Des without any sociopath administrator interference.

You make fair points.

It is true thet one thing that often rears it's ugly head is the complete disregard of the impacts on team harmony that some people can have.

A better example could not be found than the Glenn Stewart fiasco which pummelled the club into a 6 year stint in the wilderness......because inept and egotistical administrators did not have the grey matter or human skills to find a better way.

Dangerous territory indeed and must be handled masterfully by Des without any sociopath administrator interference.
Completely agree it is dangerous territory. You might improve chances of success this year from 15%-25% (maybe) but decrease your chances of future success all because of short term thinking.

More the problem might be as who Manly can hold on to . With the current squad playing to potential I don't think they need to sign any one player outside the club , There maybe some players will get offered more money than Manly can manage in there cap to go elsewhere

Siro Boyle and Jetski have no future at Manly in my opinion

Yes.....

Siro would have to show me a signed pledge that he 'wouldn't always cut back inside and not pass when he has Harper and Saab on his outside.' to make me feel comfortable with him again.

thing is, he was a 5/8th once so with all the ball playing team members, he could be a good'un to have around.

+ we always get a chunk of injuries.

Slightly off topic, but this is as good a thread as any. How good is it that Finucane and Pangai Jnr are on the market and I have zero interest in signing either. I know we are not there yet, but it reminds me of the golden era of Lyon, Stewart's, Choc, Matai, Kitey, Ballin, etc where we did not look to sign anyone. Love our current roster and not interested in signing anyone. Credit where credits due to Des, Noel and the recruitment staff.
Go Manly!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6