The EPL 2014 / 15

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

RiverEagle

Bencher
So it all kicks off again tonight, our time.

As a Man United fan I'm more curious than confident about the new Louis Van Gaal reign.

We've looked ok, even good in pre-season games.

Even winning the inter-league Champions pre-season comp (3-1 over Liverpool, thank you very much!)

Will the ghost of Sir Alex Ferguson finally start to lift...

Or will it be another rollercoaster season, with far more downs than ups??

We shall soon see!

Not a good start for Man Utd, going down 1-2 at home to Swansea. The reality is that Man Utd has pretty much the same players as last season. Louis van Gaal is the super manager/coach a club like Man Utd needs but I think they don't have the squad to match Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal again this season.

At this stage I agree @Aetna

I suspect even Sir Alex would struggle to get consistently good results from the current squad.

Man Utd rely far too much on Rooney.

Especially as Van Persie (great player) is injured so damn much.

Fair enough @ManlyBacker

Gunners and Liverpool had good wins.

Definitely good the EPL's back and (after SO much success and silverware for Man U) I can cope with a season or two rebuilding mate!

Not that I'm writing this season off, by any means!

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Not the best performance by Liverpool but a win is a win.

I watched the Reds/SthHampton match, mate.

I thought it was quite a good, competitive game.

And I wouldn't mind Sterling, Sturridge and Gerrard of course, over at Man U!

lsz said:
When ever you feel depressed river try being a west ham fan...

Too many are already tipping Man U to struggle again (after a lack-lustre draw in game 2).

So I guess we share the pain mate.

Especially as Man City are looking good already again too!

And now for the hat-trick of lacklustre opening performances tonight (yesterday in the UK).

0-0 against Burnley.....dear, dear me, Man U.

I think Van Gaal's optimism will be seriously and sorely tested sooner, rather than later.

RiverEagle said:

As a Man United fan I'm more curious than confident about the new Louis Van Gaal reign.

Even winning the inter-league Champions pre-season comp (3-1 over Liverpool, thank you very much!)

We shall soon see!

Hello RiverEagle,
I am also a Red Devil and Sea Eagle supporter/tragic fan.
Man Utd should have benched the players last season that wouldn't play for Moyesy. It will take time again to blend the new signings but they had better start getting the finger out so they don't have to chase the leaders too hard towards the end of season. Even though we aren't in Europe this time around, we still need to know within ourselves that we are in the top 4 or even 2. LvG will go well once he can get them firing. He is a systems man and methodical thinker. Just like some of the great Dutch Masters. I love soccer (football) and was involved with playing, coaching and admin for many years.

I only hope that our Sea Eagles after The Cowboys farce last night aren't throwing this year in because of what happened with Glenn Stewart. Really, we need forwards at our disposal and I am truly stuffed as to why Manly Club/Board made the decision to release "Gifty" to Souths. We can look on the other hand and see players that should have gone before him.

Cheers mate and nice to know I have a round ball follower in the oval ball club.
Pete C Eagle - West of The Sandstone Curtain.

Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

We shall soon see!

Hello RiverEagle,
Man Utd should have benched the players last season that wouldn't play for Moyesy. It will take time again to blend the new signings but they had better start getting the finger out so they don't have to chase the leaders too hard towards the end of season. Even though we aren't in Europe this time around, we still need to know within ourselves that we are in the top 4 or even 2. LvG will go well once he can get them firing. He is a systems man and methodical thinker. Just like some of the great Dutch Masters. I love soccer (football) and was involved with playing, coaching and admin for many years.

I only hope that our Sea Eagles after The Cowboys farce last night aren't throwing this year in because of what happened with Glenn Stewart. Really, we need forwards at our disposal and I am truly stuffed as to why Manly Club/Board made the decision to release "Gifty" to Souths. We can look on the other hand and see players that should have gone before him.

Cheers mate and nice to know I have a round ball follower in the oval ball club.

Hi Pete. Yes we got lucky there at least in life! (Manly and Man U) !

Same as I've said with Manly, I got hooked on United as a kid and I'm one of the countless that do stick once "on board"...lol.

The fact that LVG has made significant purchases (after only being in charge for a short while) is a positive. That's one area where a very large consensus of fans agree (we need reinforcements, and fast). And, as I'm sure you're aware, United fans are like no other and getting them to agree on something is a long-shot at the best of times!

Personally I feel they didn't give Moyes much of a chance (even Sir Alex took a few seasons to improve the club and get success). BUT...With Sir Alex still discreetly at the club as a "consultant/senior football-director" we'd have to assume he had a say in Moyes departure.

Like with Manly mate, I'm just as used to excellence and success with Man U (perhaps even MORE with United over the journey) and to see us struggle is so alien it's twice as hard to accept.

I do feel more able than many though , to be patient, give Louis a fair chance to develop the squad and put his stamp on it. We HAVE to be realistic and this is a generational change (Sir Aiex being the Guvna' for 25-plus years!)

As long as Man City or Chelsea don't win the League, I can wait a year or two for success again (at least I think so right now).

There are a few Man U men here Pete (@Mals is one that springs to mind) but this is the spot to drop by for any EPL talk you like mate.

Hope to see you in again soon.

@RiverEagle - hell no mate I'm not a Man U fan! lol

My Dad ensured from birth that I'd be a Chelsea supporter :D

Carefree, wherever you may be,
We are the famous CFC,
And we don't give a *cough*
Wherever you may be,
'Cause we are the famous CFC.

Mals said:

We are the famous CFC,
Wherever you may be,

O, my bad there, then!

Must be thinkin' of someone else (or I'll blame it on the antibiotics I'm taking at the moment, lol).

And with all due respect (as far as Chelsea goes that is) a BIG BOO to U!

:p

RiverEagle said:
Mals said:

We are the famous CFC,
Wherever you may be,

O, my bad there, then!

Must be thinkin' of someone else (or I'll blame it on the antibiotics I'm taking at the moment, lol).

And with all due respect (as far as Chelsea goes that is) a BIG BOO to U!

:p

I'm glad people boo us these days, means we are threat! Unlike most of the 20th century haha.

And unfortunately @Mals

I reckon Chelsea are a far better chance (or threat) than United this season.

That's great for you...

Just don't expect me to be happy for ya' mate!

RiverEagle said:
And unfortunately @Mals

That's great for you...

Haha I wouldn't expect that mate. I'm away this weekend up at my old man's place on the mid North Coast. Going with my Missus and her parents (who are staying with us at the moment to help with the little bub). They are from Swansea Wales. Who is playing this Saturday? Chelsea v Swans haha bring it on I can't wait! :)

Mals said:
RiverEagle said:
And unfortunately @Mals

That's great for you...

Haha I wouldn't expect that mate. I'm away this weekend up at my old man's place on the mid North Coast. Going with my Missus and her parents (who are staying with us at the moment to help with the little bub). They are from Swansea Wales. Who is playing this Saturday? Chelsea v Swans haha bring it on I can't wait! :)

Wow! If you're interested, even a little, in the question of fate or a "grand plan", indeed a "God" at all...Have a look at the "Is there a God?" thread in General Forums. (especially just my last post if U understandably don't have a lot of spare-time at the minute).

I had a very different experience myself on Saturday (but in the same vein of "coincidence" or "destiny" you're referring to there).

All the best to you, missus and bub; indeed the whole clan whilst we're at it mate.

(But bugga' Chelsea all the same!)

RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

We shall soon see!

Hello RiverEagle,

Hi Pete. Yes we got lucky there at least in life! (Manly and Man U) !

Same as I've said with Manly, I got hooked on United as a kid and I'm one of the countless that do stick once "on board"...lol.

The fact that LVG has made significant purchases (after only being in charge for a short while) is a positive. That's one area where a very large consensus of fans agree (we need reinforcements, and fast). And, as I'm sure you're aware, United fans are like no other and getting them to agree on something is a long-shot at the best of times!

Personally I feel they didn't give Moyes much of a chance (even Sir Alex took a few seasons to improve the club and get success). BUT...With Sir Alex still discreetly at the club as a "consultant/senior football-director" we'd have to assume he had a say in Moyes departure.

Like with Manly mate, I'm just as used to excellence and success with Man U (perhaps even MORE with United over the journey) and to see us struggle is so alien it's twice as hard to accept.

I do feel more able than many though , to be patient, give Louis a fair chance to develop the squad and put his stamp on it. We HAVE to be realistic and this is a generational change (Sir Aiex being the Guvna' for 25-plus years!)

As long as Man City or Chelsea don't win the League, I can wait a year or two for success again (at least I think so right now).

There are a few Man U men here Pete (@Mals is one that springs to mind) but this is the spot to drop by for any EPL talk you like mate.

Hope to see you in again soon.

Yes River Eagle - now we are getting to know each other you will see me more often.
I took over running a FOX Sports EPL Tipping League for a workmates daughter.
It think this year will be closer but I screamed home the past two years. I wasnt going to have Orange and Sydney people beating this Bathurst Boy.

By the way Eagle, where are you from?
What is your first christian name?

George Best was my idol as a young teen when I was playing/coaching. Loved Pele as well.
I coached Bathurst Clubs, District (in Inter Branch comps) and Western NSW at State Championships. Had some great years with it.

It is good to see SAF still at Manchester area on ManU Board. He is apparently good friends with Pep Guardiola who was the bloke I though Man Utd would sign but he stayed in Europe. Pep is good friends with SAF as I think it is SAF's son playing in USA with Peps son or something like that. We all have to be patient with formulating Red Devils team but try and tell that to the terraces of Old Trafford.

I was at 99th FA Cup Final at former Wembley back in 1981 (after returning from 6 weeks in Europe - only time I have been to UK/Europe). Billy Bonds' West Ham played Arsenal and West Ham were in 2nd Div and won the final by a Trevor Brooking header. I went on a tour of Wembley 3 days before Cup Final and West Ham team were there getting their photos done for the official program. Here was Alan Devonshire, Frank Lampard (the dad), Billy Bonds, Trevor Brooking, Phil Parkes (g/k) and so on, but we weren't allowed near them - drat. Never fear, the Arsenal team was well stocked as well. Frank Stapleton (who came to ManU), Alan Sunderland,
Pat Rice, Clive Allan, to name a few. Aah mate, the memories and a great game we follow in skill and not thuggery. Brazil is my favourite World Cup team as I reckon they taught the world he art of skill and technique. Of course I follow Australia but sometimes they arent at World Cups.

I better push on a get some sleep - work tomorrow. We could talk for days on this code of footy.

Cheers
Pete C Eagle

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4