The Eagle's 2013 Preview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
With the season just around the corner The Eagle takes a look at each team and tells you who to expect to be a premiership
force and why,the sides are ordered from 1 to 16 in my prediction of finishing order,all of the signings and losses are taken directly from www.zerotackle.com

I will start by saying that as a lifelong Manly fan i cannot help but look forward to the coming season with hope and
a dream of returned premiership glory,however this season will be much more competetive than 2011 and 2012 due to
bolster squads and an array of talent spread across the competition,expect a bumper season forthcoming

North Queensland Cowboys

Gains: Clint Greenshields (Catalan Dragons, 2013), Rory Kostjasyn (Melbourne Storm, 2014), Anthony Mitchell
(Mid Season: Sydney Roosters, 2013), Scott Moore (Huddersfield Giants, 2014), Curtis Rona (Sydney Roosters, 2014)

Losses: Dane Hogan (Easts Tigers), Moses Pangai (Penrith Panthers), Cory Paterson (Hull Kingston Rovers),
Aaron Payne (retired), James Segeyaro (Penrith Panthers)

Thoughts : Premiership favourites for a few and for good reason,they have a quality squad and the worlds best half
in JT and this year get a few games out of Robert "Mad Monday" Lui to bolster the halves stocks,best forward pack
in the world but the question is can they take the title,only time will tell,to me the backline is a bit of a mixed
bag which may well be the downfall

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Gains:Michael Chee Kam (Canberra Raiders, 2015), Dane Chisholm (Wests Tigers, 2013), Richie Fa'aoso (Melbourne Storm, 2014)
,David Gower (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2013), James Hasson (Cronulla Sharks, 2013), Jamil Hopoate (Parramatta Eels, 2013)
,Justin Horo (Parramatta Eels, 2013), Brenton Lawrence (Gold Coast Titans, 2015), Kayne Lawton (Gold Coast Titans, 2013),
Ben Musolino (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2013), Ligi Sao (New Zealand Warriors, 2015), Esi Tonga (Parramatta Eels, 2013)

Losses:Josh Drinkwater (St George Illawarra Dragons), Daniel Harrison (Parramatta Eels), Darcy Lussick (Parramatta Eels),
Michael Oldfield (Sydney Roosters), Dean Whare (Penrith Panthers), Tony Williams (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

Thoughts: Have the backrow,halves and backs to go all the way,god knows they've been there before and done that and i'd assume
soon they'll do it again,short of an earthquake at narrabeen will be a massive force this year,the signings to the average fans
are a bit of a what the **** but on closer inspection very smart buys are a whos who of pure potential,if it can be reached or not
remains to be seen,front row and depth are going to be the biggest challenge

Canterbury Bankstown

Gains:Krisnan Inu (Mid Season: New Zealand Warriors, 2015), Drury Low (Canberra Raiders, 2013), Sam Perrett
(Mid Season: Sydney Roosters, 2015), Tony Williams (Manly Sea Eagles, 2016)

Losses:Jake Foster (Canberra Raiders), James Gavet (Wests Tigers), Bryson Goodwin (South Sydney Rabbitohs),
Luke MacDougall (retired), Tupou Sopoaga (Cronulla Sharks), David Stagg (Brisbane Broncos), Jonathan Wright (Cronulla Sharks)

Thoughts: Have the bite in their pack to give the comp a shake and a fullback who couldn't catch an STD in a brothel but will
give the comp a bit of a shake,a lot will depend on how many games Tony Williams turns up for while James Graham is suspended for
doing his best Mike Tyson impersonation,this teams downfall will be is substandard halves and barely passable backline

Cronulla Sharks

Gains:Michael Gordon (Penrith Panthers, 2015), Chris Heighington (Wests Tigers, 2015), Luke Lewis (Penrith Panthers, 2016),
Alipate Ratini (2014), Beau Ryan (Wests Tigers, 2015), Tupou Sopoaga (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2013), Jonathan Wright
(Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2014)

Losses:Colin Best (retired), Josh Cordoba (retired), Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons), James Hasson (Manly Sea Eagles),
Jeremy Smith (Newcastle Knights), John Williams (retired)

Thoughts: Were a great team last year with a forward pack the envy of most in the comp which is further bolstered by offseason signings
of Luke Lewis and Chris Heighnington,Whilst Todd Carney is obviously the linchpin of the team Jeff Robson has found his perfect halves
partner,this team has all the tools to break the mocker and win the comp,the backline is of an NRL standard and the only reason i can
see for them not winning the comp is the fact that the club hasnt won anything,well,other than the Amco cup

Melbourne Storm

Gains:Brett Finch (Wigan Warriors, 2013), Tim Glasby (2014), Kurt Mann (Newcastle Knights, 2015), Junior Moors (Wests Tigers, 2013),
Junior Sa'u (Newcastle Knights, 2013), Lagi Setu (2013)

Losses:Richie Fa'aoso (Manly Sea Eagles), Michael Greenfield (retired), Luke Kelly (Parramatta Eels), Rory Kostjasyn (North Queensland Cowboys),
Jaiman Lowe (retired), Todd Lowrie (New Zealand Warriors), Sika Manu (Penrith Panthers), Shea Moylan (Wynnum), Dane Nielsen (New Zealand Warriors),
Anthony Quinn (Newcastle Knights), Brayden Willieme (Parramatta Eels)

Thoughts: Short of another salary cap scandal,comet or other large object impacting the city whilst the team is training or playing in melbourne
i cannot see why this team wont be a major force again this year,i personally don't think they will go back to back but i will submit they definately
have the squad to,however any long term injury to Cameron Smith or Cooper Cronk will see this team fall out of favour,Slater would be superbly covered
by Widdop with Finch pushing back into the six,which is why i dont believe Slaters loss would be felt as hard as either Smith or Cronk,the Melbourne
juggernaught will push on,mark my words

South Sydney Rabbitohs

Gains:Mitchell Buckett (2014), Thomas Burgess (Bradford Bulls, 2013), Beau Champion (Gold Coast Titans, 2014), Bryson Goodwin
(Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2013), Jeff Lima (Wigan Warriors, 2014), Daniel Smith (Leeds Rhinos, 2013), Ben Te'o (Brisbane Broncos, 2015)

Losses:Neccrom Areaiiti (Penrith Panthers), Scott Geddes (retired), Eddy Pettybourne (Wests Tigers), Dave Taylor (Gold Coast Titans)

Thoughts: Well well well its come to this hasn't it,the competitions perenial whipping boy has transformed under Micheal McGuire to a premiership
force to be reckoned with,after a brilliant showing in 2012 and a weird recruitment for this year given the extra money available due to the loss
of Dave "Jane" Taylor i actually see an improvement in the works,i know can guess that this coach of ole Souff Sinney will continue to do what he
was taught by Bellamy and make astute buys and cut fat,they almost have it all,front row,back row but missing a recognised half for the 6,i don't
think it comes natural to Sutton but with the emergence of Reynolds hopes are that he'll be given more free reign this year and ignore the second
year syndrome

Canberra Raiders

Gains:Sandor Earl (Mid Season: Penrith Panthers, 2014), Joel Edwards (Newcastle Knights, 2015), Jake Foster (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2014)

Losses:Michael Chee Kam (Manly Sea Eagles), Bronson Harrison (St George Illawarra Dragons), Mark Ioane (Gold Coast Titans),Masada Iosefa (Wests Tigers),
Drury Low (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

Thoughts: With the emergence of a pure bromance last year this teams fortunes turned around and they started to fly right even without the perennially injured
David "Compo" Campese,a star studded front row backed up by a very passable back row and decent backs,if Furners unbeatable gameplan really is the masterpeice
that its made out to be then i see Campese partnering Sam Williams in the halves to make a very formidible team,this could be the first time since Meninga retired
that the raiders were actually a relevant side as far as premiership muscle is concerned,will shake a few cages but i think this year its not time,they will
fall short

Sydney Roosters

Gains:Michael Jennings (Penrith Panthers, 2016), James Maloney (New Zealand Warriors, 2015), Sam Moa (Hull FC, 2014), Michael Oldfield (Manly Sea Eagles, 2014),
Nafe Seluini (Mid Season: Penrith Panthers, 2013), Sonny Bill Williams (2013)

Losses:Braith Anasta (Wests Tigers), Justin Carney (Castleford Tigers), Glenn Dumbrell (Group 9), Mark Kheirallah (France), Joseph Leilua (Newcastle Knights),
Jack Littlejohn (rugby union), Mose Masoe (Penrith Panthers), Anthony Mitchell (North Queensland Cowboys), Sam Perrett (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Curtis Rona
(North Queensland Cowboys), Peni Tagive (retired)

Thoughts:Let me start off by saying they have made some massive moves in the recruitment phase and will give a few top teams a shake just as the raiders will,
untested coach at this level and have lost only the ****test of the **** players in rugby league today,they will surge up the ladder but i dont think they
will surge to the top,i rate them to be a smoky but with their halves i wouldnt be surprised if they missed the 8 by a considerable amount

Brisbane Broncos

Gains:Joe Bond (2013), Jake Granville (2013), Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans, 2014), David Stagg (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2014)

Losses:Gerard Beale (St George Illawarra Dragons), Petero Civoniceva (retired), Mitchell Frei (Newcastle Knights), Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights),
Ben Te'o (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Thoughts: With the subpar showing in the first year post Lockyer they have went out and bought the next oldest half and former favourite son Scott
Prince and replaced Petero with David Stagg but lost a few good players in the offseason,i personally think they will hold steady without improving
to much but unfortunately for donkeys fans the only way they'll win a comp this year is if they make a new comp again,it could be called Super League
and have aspirations to go into asia but more than likely be ignored by most fans of any relevant teams

Newcastle Knights

Gains:David Fa'alogo (Huddersfield Giants, 2014), Mitchell Frei (Brisbane Broncos, 2014), Dane Gagai (Mid Season: Brisbane Broncos, 2014), Joseph Leilua
(Sydney Roosters, 2013), Toka Likiliki (New Zealand Warriors, 2014), Anthony Quinn (Melbourne Storm, 2013), Beau Scott (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2016),
Jeremy Smith (Cronulla Sharks, 2015)

Losses:Sam Anderson (Penrith Panthers), Ethan Cook (Penrith Panthers), Joel Edwards (Canberra Raiders), Richie Fa'aoso (Manly Sea Eagles), Kurt Mann
(Melbourne Storm), Wes Naiqama (Penrith Panthers), Kyle O'Donnell (Penrith Panthers), Api Pewhairangi (Parramatta Eels), Junior Sa'u (Melbourne Storm), Zeb Taia
(Catalan Dragons), Evarn Tuimavave (Hull Kingston Rovers)

Thoughts:Browsing through the signings and losses of this squad im at a loss to explain what Bennett is thinking,while im sure he has a plan i cannot tell you
what it is,his halves are a poor joke,his forward pack has been bolstered as has his backs but i don't see this team winning the comp now nor in the near future,
i think Tinkler will be the first owner to fire Bennett during his career not that its Waynes fault,i think he just has a **** squad with substandard signings
coming in

Wests Tigers

Gains:Braith Anasta (Sydney Roosters, 2014), Jack Buchanan (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2015), James Gavet (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2013), Masada Iosefa
(Mid Season: Canberra Raiders, 2013), Eddy Pettybourne (South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2015), Bodene Thompson (Gold Coast Titans, 2014)

Losses:Dane Chisholm (Manly Sea Eagles), Gareth Ellis (Hull FC), Chris Heighington (Cronulla Sharks), Tom Humble (Penrith Panthers), Junior Moors (Melbourne Storm)
, Beau Ryan (Cronulla Sharks)

Thoughts: What i see in the 2013 squad is unmitigated ****,losing Heighnington,Ryan and Ellis will be a massive shock to the system which they wont recover from until
its way to late,the pack is to small and the backs are possibly the worst in the competition,also win my award for dumbest ****ing signing ever by buying an elderly
Braith Anasta,he was **** when he was young and he will not improve,Potter will have to work some serious magic here (Sorry,i tried to ignore that)

NZ Warriors

Gains:Thomas Leuluai (Wigan Warriors, 2015), Todd Lowrie (Melbourne Storm, 2014), Dane Nielsen (Melbourne Storm, 2015), Dominique Peyroux
(Gold Coast Titans, 2015), Harry Siejka (Penrith Panthers, 2014)

Losses:Lewis Brown (Penrith Panthers), Krisnan Inu (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Toka Likiliki (Newcastle Knights), Micheal Luck (retired)
, James Maloney (Sydney Roosters), Ligi Sao (Manly Sea Eagles), Omar Slaimankhel (Japanese Rugby), Ukuma Ta'ai (Huddersfield Giants)

Thoughts: Have got a new coach,again for the second time in 2 years and have signed absolutely nobody of note but had massive losses in Lewis
Brown,Krisnan Inu and Omar Slaimankhel,they are not a great team and will only get worse before they get better,need better recruits or some
of those fabled kiddies to really push on this year,i see them shocking a team or 2 but ultimately having a losing season

Penrith Panthers

Gains:Sam Anderson (Newcastle Knights, 2013), Neccrom Areaiiti (South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2013), Lewis Brown (New Zealand Warriors, 2015), Ethan Cook
(Newcastle Knights, 2014), Tom Humble (Wests Tigers, 2014), Maurice Kennedy (2013), Jeremy Latimore (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2014), Sika Manu
(Melbourne Storm, 2015), Mose Masoe (Sydney Roosters, 2014), Kane Morgan (2013), Wes Naiqama (Newcastle Knights, 2014), Kyle O'Donnell
(Newcastle Knights, 2014), Moses Pangai (North Queensland Cowboys, 2014), James Roberts (2014), James Segeyaro (North Queensland Cowboys, 2015), Dean Whare
(Manly Sea Eagles, 2014)

Losses:Mitch Achurch (Leeds Rhinos), Chris Armit (retired), Travis Burns (Hull Kingston Rovers), Sandor Earl (Canberra Raiders), Sarafu Fatiaki (Redcliffe),
Michael Gordon (Cronulla Sharks), Michael Jennings (Sydney Roosters), Luke Lewis (Cronulla Sharks), Nafe Seluini (Sydney Roosters), Harry Siejka
(New Zealand Warriors)

Thoughts: Have more chance of a meteorite strike than a premiership win or even finals football even though they have made more signings than any team
possibly even in the history of the NRL/NSWRL/ARL,if you want to see a feelgood story this year though keep your eyes on Dean Whare formally of manly
reserve grade,this kid has a massive future infront of him and will impress many,unfortunately for Whare his team is not even remotely good enough

Parramatta Eels

Gains:Ken Edwards (2013), Daniel Harrison (Manly Sea Eagles, 2014), Luke Kelly (Mid Season: Melbourne Storm, 2013), Darcy Lussick (Manly Sea Eagles, 2015)
, Lorenzo Ma'Afu (2014), Api Pewhairangi (Newcastle Knights, 2013), Brayden Willieme (Melbourne Storm, 2013)

Losses:Marmin Barba (Gold Coast Titans), Luke Burt (retired), Nathan Hindmarsh (retired), Jamil Hopoate (Manly Sea Eagles), Justin Horo (Manly Sea Eagles),
Casey McGuire (retired), Justin Poore (Wakefield Wildcats), Esi Tonga (Manly Sea Eagles)

Thoughts: Have about as much chance of having Chris Sandow winning the biggest loser (and no,not the pokies room edition) than even making the finals this year,
whilst they have signed Harrison and Lussick formerly of Manly neither of these 2 blokes were paramount in the Sea Eagles plans,another team which has lost much
more than it has gained unfortunately for squeels fans,i forsee coins being chucked at Sandow and Hayne before the season ends

Gold Coast Titans

Gains:Marmin Barba (Parramatta Eels, 2014), Mark Ioane (Canberra Raiders, 2013), Albert Kelly (2014), Matthew Russell (Wigan Warriors, 2014), Dave Taylor
(South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2016)

Losses:Beau Champion (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Phil Graham (retired), Michael Henderson (St George Illawarra Dragons), Brenton Lawrence (Manly Sea Eagles),
Kayne Lawton (Manly Sea Eagles), Dominique Peyroux (New Zealand Warriors), Scott Prince (Brisbane Broncos), Bodene Thompson (Wests Tigers), Joe Vickery
(Leeds Rhinos)

Thoughts: Not even Jamie Lyon could save this rabble from a terrible amount of losses this year,i would be shocked to see them win more than 6 games this coming
season,Dave "Jane" Taylor will be another terrible buy for this club riddled with terrible buys and have probably 3 players worthy of an NRL spot in the entire
squad,Cartright will be gone by round 10,as many have said before and will say again,YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

St George-Illawarra Dragons

Gains:Gerard Beale (Brisbane Broncos, 2015), Damien Cook (2013), Josh Drinkwater (Manly Sea Eagles, 2014), Tyson Frizell (Cronulla Sharks, 2014),
Bronson Harrison (Canberra Raiders, 2014), Michael Henderson (Gold Coast Titans, 2013), Shannon Wakeman (2013)

Losses:Jack Buchanan (Wests Tigers), David Gower (Manly Sea Eagles), Ben Hornby (retired), Denan Kemp (Brisbane Broncos), Jeremy Latimore (Penrith Panthers),
Jake Marketo (Redcliffe), Josh Miller (retired), Ben Musolino (Manly Sea Eagles), Beau Scott (Newcastle Knights), Dean Young (retired)

Thoughts: Could not sign a hooker to a 96 year old millionare,this club has went from the highest of highs in 2010 to the depths of the bottom of the barrel,
thankfully for us non-saints fans we have the absolute pleasure of not seeing the homoerotic dance of Jamie "Mouthbreather" Soward much this year,i believe
the chinless man will beat Cartright of the titans to the axe and be the first coach fired this coming season,for the loyal saints fans you will however have
the pleasure of both seeing Josh Drinkwater rise to fame and the club possibly signing Bellamy but more likely "insert current ESL coach" as coach of the side,
this clubs fortunes rely on Doust booting Price

{edit - just tidied up your formatting a bit - C&C}

Nice work Eagle and fair comments for the most part.

Personally, I don't rate the Cows as highly as you have, and I think the Tits are certainties for the spoon.

Love the description of the Tigers as "unmitigated s**t"....

TE - not a bad read.

Poor old Terry Campese has been called David again....

Is The Eagle making a play for Rothfield's job. No chance Eagle. Your assessments are too accurate.

Very insightful. I can't agree with the Cows being No. 1; they can't win the big games in Sydney, although they will make the eight. The rest of your assessments are, imo, close to the mark. I do expect Cronulla and Souffs to be even better this year.
Manly and Melb will obviously be there because they are the most professional and consistent clubs. Brisbane will be there because of their favored draw, and Canterbury (enough said). That's seven.
I favour Canberra to make up the eight, probably from Newcastle. But, as you say, this is shaping as the closest comp in memory.

Bearfax said:
Is The Eagle making a play for Rothfield's job. No chance Eagle. Your assessments are too accurate.

I'm not near douchey enough to be hired by news limited unfortunately

Big thanks to c&c for the running repairs,I wrote in notepad then copy pasted both here and on LU

Good report TE. Only obvious thing I could point out is NQ wont finish 1st and dont have the best forward pack. They will miss the quality service from dummy half in the combo of Payne/Segeyaro which has worked quite well the last couple of years and the big question is will Tariq Sims get back to his best form after 2 broken legs in consecutive seasons. I predict a finish of 5th-8th for the Cows. Everything else is pretty spot on mate!

Good read TE, jeez you must have some spare time.

I agree with most of what you said, and most of what others said....the Cowboys DO struggle away from home and I can't see that changing...that said I think they will still be in the 8.

I am really struggling to find an 8, especially the last team BUT in no particular order (other than 8th spot) my 8 would be,

Melbourne
Bulldogs
Souths
Manly
Sharks
Brisbane
Cowboys
Raiders (if Campese stays fit)...otherwise Roosters

And I to love the Tigers quote "unmitigated ****" that made my day!!

Is it just me or does there seem to be more player movement than normal this season ??

Looking forward to this season, a lot of new faces at different clubs and it'll be interesting to see how that all gels.

Teams I think should be morals to make the 8

Manly
Bulldogs
Souths
Melbourne

Teams that are morals not to, as Eagle has rightly pointed out

Penrith
Parra
Titans
Dragons

The rest are fighting out for those last 4 spots.

The Eagle said:
Wests Tigers
Thoughts: What i see in the 2013 squad is unmitigated s**t, losing Heighnington, Ryan and Ellis will be a massive shock to the system which they wont recover from until its way to late, the pack is to small and the backs are possibly the worst in the competition, also win my award for dumbest f**king signing ever by buying an elderly Braith Anasta, he was s**t when he was young and he will not improve, Potter will have to work some serious magic here (Sorry,i tried to ignore that)

and

The Eagle said:
"i forsee coins being chucked at Sandow and Hayne before the season ends"

lol

The Eagle said:
Gold Coast Titans

Thoughts: Not even Jamie Lyon could save this rabble

lol

Chip and Chase said:
Is it just me or does there seem to be more player movement than normal this season ??

Looking forward to this season, a lot of new faces at different clubs and it'll be interesting to see how that all gels.

Teams I think should be morals to make the 8

Manly
Bulldogs
Souths
Melbourne

Teams that are morals not to, as Eagle has rightly pointed out

Penrith
Parra
Titans
Dragons

The rest are fighting out for those last 4 spots.

I would add Sharks and Cows to your first group and Wests Tigers (or whatever they are called) to the second group.

My tip is the tigers to take out the spoon. They are paying $15 at present. Not a bad bet, it's a special if you ask me.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4