The crowd

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I thought I'd start this thread before Darren had a shot at us attracting less than 11,000.
Yes, it was slightly disappointing, but let's face it: rugby league is now a TV sport. We had a beautiful sunny day when the game should have been played - not on a cold Saturday night when only we diehard fans were prepared to forego all our other invitations to parties and dining out to get to the game.
TV has won. Unless it is a blockbuster match we'll only get a hard core of fans to all our matches that are NOT played on a Sunday afternoon.
It's the same with the Illawarra fan base, reportedly second only in size to Souffs in Sydney. They too got less than 11,000 to their home ground.

I don't think it's the enthusiasm of the fans.

We all have lives outside of our love for Manly and unfortunately, there's always going to be a fair chance that Saturday night is going to cause a problem with social calendars (usually the kids not mine).

I thought the crowd was a pretty good one, all things considered.

It was very cold tonight at Brookvale and I think some of extremities were starting to go numb in the second half and before anyone starts I am a lady and I am talking about my hands and feet. :)

But really when the decision came down to being nice and toastie at home in front of the box or out at The Fortress supporting my team, the choice was obvious for me.

If you thought Brookie was cold tonight, just wait until you come down to Canberra in August........

The Who, that's a lot of quality excuses there!! I could see you as a politician by your talent of not mentioning the exact number and making excuses sound genuine to cover over the tracks. :rolleyes:;)

Seriously mate, I'm mucking around. I do believe Brookie is the place but wish someone would help us like they have poured mega millions into nearly every major team except us. Gee, 50 million for the GWS and they get so few fans is sad for us.

I didn't take the kids because it's too cold, so we just watched it at home. If it was just me, then I would have gone but as the who says, night games, these days are made more for TV.

I was down there earlier in the afternoon, picking up some stuff from the outlet store and it was beautiful. Warm and sunny, perfect for football but it's all about the TV coverage these days (on Saturdays anyway).

Darren said:
The Who, that's a lot of quality excuses there!! I could see you as a politician by your talent of not mentioning the exact number and making excuses sound genuine to cover over the tracks. :rolleyes:;)

Seriously mate, I'm mucking around. I do believe Brookie is the place but wish someone would help us like they have poured mega millions into nearly every major team except us. Gee, 50 million for the GWS and they get so few fans is sad for us.

Darren, the crowd was 10,700-plus. Can't remember the exact figure posted.

Wests Tigers v North Queensland

Bulldogs v Brisbane

Dragons v Panthers

Roosters v Storm

Manly v Canberra

How did the Roosters get 19k against an out of state team. Unfortunately our huge crowds are against 1 or 2 teams only. I did read we need 15k to break even so these non Sunday games are financially killing us!!

Darren said:
How did the Roosters get 19k against an out of state team. Unfortunately our huge crowds are against 1 or 2 teams only. I did read we need 15k to break even so these non Sunday games are financially killing us!!

Darren I don't mean to be rude but you take one piece of info and rehash it over and over again.

So you say you read some where that we need 15k to break even so these games are killing us financially. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago but look at the big picture now

- the nrl grant has almost doubled
- we have a full kit of sponsors shorts and jersey
- the club has announced several new corporate partners outside of kit sponsors this year
- membership is within 1000 of hitting record numbers so again there's income there the club wasn't getting 6-7years ago

The Sky isn't falling in Darren, however we do need funding for brookvale I guess we all have to see if as PM Tony Abbott is true to his word.

I also read somewhere that the club will turn a profit this year maybe @vidmar could elaborate on that.

One thing is for sure the changes in the clubs structure made by David Perry are getting the results.

David Perry has done a great job for us since joining a couple of years ago. I hope he stays longterm.

While it didn't seem a huge lift to finances, the extra seating at the end of the Jane Try Stand must help too.

I think it was around 200 public seats and 200-300 corporates. Those corporate seats would bring in a couple of hundred thousand over 10 games i would think?

I'd love to know the figure that has been injected by those new seats. While a small number, it would make a difference to getting our books in the black.

Love what Perry has done and definitely seems to be upwards in corporate dollars. My only concern is expenses go up as well and at least getting close to budget in games (big income earner) is vital for not just survival but recruitment in juniors and development of the brand.

TBH Perry has worked miracles with our club, we seem to be hearing less and less about our "dysfunctional" board and more about new sponsors and signings. I hope we are looking after him with his pay packet as he deserves it.

People always have an excuse for not going to the games. too hot. Too cold. FFS just go and support your team.

I bet the raiders are gald you don't support them otherwise you would never go to a raiders game in the middle of winter in canberra.

maybe the club should offer free saucers of warm milk to encourage supporters to attend night games at brookie?

rather that crowd at brookie than the 500 more the state of the art stadium got at the dogs match

Thought we would have got a few more than that last night after the Melb. performance. Seems that Sunday afternoons and the big games are our only crowd pullers these days.

TokyoEagle said:
Thought we would have got a few more than that last night after the Melb. performance. Seems that Sunday afternoons and the big games are our only crowd pullers these days.

As I said above, there are plenty of variables that determine an individuals attendance at a game.

Yes I love the Sunday afternoon games as much as the next fan but it's not because it's sunny. It's because I can usually get there without any drama.

I'll be at the Dogs game in Rd 14 because I know it fits in to my schedule and I can nick off from work early that day. I'm not expecting to be warm on a Friday night on the hill but it won't keep me away.

Well I may not be some big city lawyer........

But when I see you yobbos in the crowd I think:

Hmmmm I wonder which ones of you I post to on here?

Keep it up!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7