The Coaching Manual ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
This is a genuine enquiry, as I have not been coached for over 40 years, and I realise some things change ... so I am going to say how one thing used to be .. and ask anybody who has played at a reasonable level more recently ... if this is still the case.

THE RE-BOOT PLAN

We would have several main attacking patterns, all of which allowed a fair amount of latitude to the halves to adjust and play what was in front of them .. Generally 2/3 forward runs, then heads up football ..

But, Back in the day we would also have had one basic pattern that we ran ad nauseum every training session ... it usually involved something like 2 hit ups to the open, then a switch to 2 wide down the blind, followed by a deep backline play back to the open, maybe a wrap around, then a kick into touch ... this pattern was well rehearsed and was our "Re-set" or steadier plan.

It was usually called a name like Rosie ... and when things started to go south or shiite was happening ... dropped balls, missed tackles, dude decisions .. the captain would call Rosie and for the next 2/3 sets the whole team would just fall back on a well known pattern to simply re-boot and regather .. this comfortable routine worked both physically and mentally to steady the team.

I ask this because this year when we started blowing big leads or things weren't going to plan ... there didn't seem like there was a plan or mechanism to deal with it on field ... instead of going to a Rosie ... we seemed to go even more helter skelter into devastation and ruin ..

We got Rosie mixed up with Daisy. When we were behind in games and needed to score points DCE would grubber into touch to settle things down, waste some time and allow the opposition to reset and hold us at bay for another set or two. Quality game management.

In all seriousness I read somewhere that Des was all about structure and zones, to the point it was just robotic play with no deviation from the plan. But it seems to me we don't have the players in key roles to achieve a "re-boot" under game conditions. Our game management, composure and ability to arm wrestle has been missing for many seasons. even prior to Des's return. We panic and run around in circles.

DCE thinks reboot plan is kicking to opposite FB on 2nd tackle in the midst of heavy defence.

Our plan has been the same for years now: pass it to Turbo.
He should be our 5/8.
I think he needs to be able to pick his moments. He can't really do that at five-eight. Play him as a centre in attack only. If he played a Manu-type role at centre (outside centre/second fullback, whatever), where he had a licence to roam, he wouldn't be restricted to one side of the field. He could still defend at the back. Weekes and Koula would act as the centre pairing in defence, rotating into the fullback position in attack. With most of the ball distribution in attack coming via Schuster/Turbo/Lawton) and Garrick and Saab on the wings, it could become a thing of beauty. Doing this would also simplify DCEs role, so he could concentrate on the things he does well, and not get overinvolved in things he does badly. I think we all know what those things are!!!
For this to work effectively, we need Lawton to be our ball-playing lock, as he is more than capable of playing this role. Jake would need to focus solely on playing the prop role he does so well for NSW.
Setting up, coaching and implementing these changes would not be too complicated. The difficulty would be in getting DCE, Turbo and Jake to accept these new roles.

This is a genuine enquiry, as I have not been coached for over 40 years, and I realise some things change ... so I am going to say how one thing used to be .. and ask anybody who has played at a reasonable level more recently ... if this is still the case.

THE RE-BOOT PLAN

We would have several main attacking patterns, all of which allowed a fair amount of latitude to the halves to adjust and play what was in front of them .. Generally 2/3 forward runs, then heads up football ..

But, Back in the day we would also have had one basic pattern that we ran ad nauseum every training session ... it usually involved something like 2 hit ups to the open, then a switch to 2 wide down the blind, followed by a deep backline play back to the open, maybe a wrap around, then a kick into touch ... this pattern was well rehearsed and was our "Re-set" or steadier plan.

It was usually called a name like Rosie ... and when things started to go south or shiite was happening ... dropped balls, missed tackles, dude decisions .. the captain would call Rosie and for the next 2/3 sets the whole team would just fall back on a well known pattern to simply re-boot and regather .. this comfortable routine worked both physically and mentally to steady the team.

I ask this because this year when we started blowing big leads or things weren't going to plan ... there didn't seem like there was a plan or mechanism to deal with it on field ... instead of going to a Rosie ... we seemed to go even more helter skelter into devastation and ruin ..
Like you said , the Capt would call "rosie", the trouble is I think our captain panicked more than the players and that's the reason it went helter skelter.....jmo

This is going back a few years so maybe he has changed, and it is Willie Mason too, but some insight into Des's methods

Another insight into his techniques

260 data points? Ridiculous!
The players and, I suspect, the assistant coaches must just glaze over.
It's a bit like the overkill of magazines and various sites.
When it was FIVE GREAT SLOWCOOKER RECIPES!!! ... I'd definitely click on it.
Now that it's 250 GREAT SLOWCOOKER RECIPES!!!!!!!! .... they can just **** right off.

Like you said , the Capt would call "rosie", the trouble is I think our captain panicked more than the players and that's the reason it went helter skelter.....jmo

Yeah but .. the coach also used to send the sponge and bucket guy with the instructions as well ... surely if we had a re boot mechanism Dessie with his radio could have called it ...

260 data points? Ridiculous!
The players and, I suspect, the assistant coaches must just glaze over.
It's a bit like the overkill of magazines and various sites.
When it was FIVE GREAT SLOWCOOKER RECIPES!!! ... I'd definitely click on it.
Now that it's 250 GREAT SLOWCOOKER RECIPES!!!!!!!! .... they can just **** right off.
But when I have a choice of picking up a magazine with 5 or 250 girls I opt for both.

I think he needs to be able to pick his moments. He can't really do that at five-eight. Play him as a centre in attack only. If he played a Manu-type role at centre (outside centre/second fullback, whatever), where he had a licence to roam, he wouldn't be restricted to one side of the field. He could still defend at the back. Weekes and Koula would act as the centre pairing in defence, rotating into the fullback position in attack. With most of the ball distribution in attack coming via Schuster/Turbo/Lawton) and Garrick and Saab on the wings, it could become a thing of beauty. Doing this would also simplify DCEs role, so he could concentrate on the things he does well, and not get overinvolved in things he does badly. I think we all know what those things are!!!
For this to work effectively, we need Lawton to be our ball-playing lock, as he is more than capable of playing this role. Jake would need to focus solely on playing the prop role he does so well for NSW.
Setting up, coaching and implementing these changes would not be too complicated. The difficulty would be in getting DCE, Turbo and Jake to accept these new roles.
Manu goes well a six for the same reasons.

This is going back a few years so maybe he has changed, and it is Willie Mason too, but some insight into Des's methods

Another insight into his techniques

Statistics and analysis are wonderful if they provide results, otherwise they're worth ****.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4