The Bush fires ....and floods

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
d9ddd9c349c3bc1080ac654069c5fad9

The smoke has now reached Chile :eek:

Cops caught 3 low lifes suspected of looting in towns near the NSW South Coast fires, lucky the locals didn’t get them.

The cops said they will face the full weight of the law, I hope that actually happens and they don’t get some weak sentence.

Cops caught 3 low lifes suspected of looting in towns near the NSW South Coast fires, lucky the locals didn’t get them.

The cops said they will face the full weight of the law, I hope that actually happens and they don’t get some weak sentence.
I heard they were posing as RFS and were knocking on people's doors instructing them to evacuate, and were then coming back and breaking in when the house was empty. This information was passed on by some family members in Mollymook who had been warned about it. Shocking if this is true !

If you think fire bombing aircraft had any hope of putting these fires out you just don't understand the sheer scale of these things. Sure maybe 3 million bombing aircraft might have had a hope but let's get real here.
Yep you’re right. Let’s do nothing. Leave it to those volunteer RFS workers go put out the fires with hoses. Let’s just tell everyone to evacuate...... and once it’s all over let’s spend $1billion cleaning up the mess ....... yep what a great solution!!!

Too many fires over too many fronts over a range of too many thousands of kilometres all at the same time ..... from Qld to Victoria ..... jeesus ... if only we had 2 more water aircraft ......

You will find when the review is done .... that the scale and number of these fires simply made 200 years of experience and contingency planning by some generations of pretty good firefighters redundant .... all plans call for support coming in from adjacent commands .... but in this instance every command had their own problems ... nightmares really .... the amount of dry ground fuel was unbelievable ... one mate showed me footage of a 20foot high wall of flames coming up a gully towards them at over 60kph ..... no plan would have survived ....

The politicians simply take and act on the advice of the fire commissioners and other emergency service experts .... could things have been handled differently in hindsight .... maybe, probably . .. but no action taken by anybody in an office was ever going to have one bit of influence on what the fires did ....

.... more useful would have been if the numbnuts that breed the punchies that greatly escalated the situation by thinking it was funny to light fires had been wearing a condom ....

Too many fires over too many fronts over a range of too many thousands of kilometres all at the same time ..... from Qld to Victoria ..... jeesus ... if only we had 2 more water aircraft ......

You will find when the review is done .... that the scale and number of these fires simply made 200 years of experience and contingency planning by some generations of pretty good firefighters redundant .... all plans call for support coming in from adjacent commands .... but in this instance every command had their own problems ... nightmares really .... the amount of dry ground fuel was unbelievable ... one mate showed me footage of a 20foot high wall of flames coming up a gully towards them at over 60kph ..... no plan would have survived ....

The politicians simply take and act on the advice of the fire commissioners and other emergency service experts .... could things have been handled differently in hindsight .... maybe, probably . .. but no action taken by anybody in an office was ever going to have one bit of influence on what the fires did ....

.... more useful would have been if the numbnuts that breed the punchies that greatly escalated the situation by thinking it was funny to light fires had been wearing a condom ....
It’s not about putting out ALL the fires. It was about protecting the high risk areas.
They knew that.....they approved additional resources, but unfortunately far too late.

It was never about putting out ALL the fires!

Maybe you should speak to some of the residents in areas north and south of where i live and suggest that effective water bombing control does not make a difference when bush fires were raging late last year . It literally saved their communities It is just not a sustainable argument to even suggest that more water bombers would not have markedly helped the fire suppression efforts and control measures in this event . and i am not referring to just a couple of more water bombing equipment but many more . The warnings and predictions were there many weeks ago , it should have automatically resulted in a national emergency approach but of course it is on public record that some federal politicians were totally dismissive . How much idle equipment could or should have been available many weeks ago from defence forces , local government level and so on to enhance fire breaks or make new ones for instance . I personally do not need much or any more understanding on the dangers and unpredictability of fires , i have had a lifetime contending with it so i also certainly concede that some of these fires would have presented some more serious challenges . But i am damm sure also that if it was a more coordinated and concentrated exercise including the federal authorities from the onset ,the situation would not have been as bad as has eventuated to date .

I never thought i would experience the day when there is so much smoke in the sky that it becomes pitch dark when it should still be pure daylight.

Some of the video and pictures shown online and news outlets tend to over expose the picture and it is not as pitch dark as it really is.

It’s not about putting out ALL the fires. It was about protecting the high risk areas.
They knew that.....they approved additional resources, but unfortunately far too late.

It was never about putting out ALL the fires!

Calm down .... no where did I ever mention putting fires out ..... but you seem to be missing my main point ..... there where thousands of high risk areas ... which one of them are you going to send your additional fire tanker to ..... the sheer scale of these past 3 weeks has made any plans of mice or men a nonsense ......

One fire in my area approached the houses on the main road on a 12km front .... they had 5 vehicles and 25 men ..... there was no fire fighting going on, or property protection ... just a hell for leather dash to make sure everybody got out ...no help coming from adjacent fire commands, they had their own fires to deal with .....

Maybe you should speak to some of the residents in areas north and south of where i live and suggest that effective water bombing control does not make a difference when bush fires were raging late last year

Mate, please. don't put words i my mouth .... I have no where even hinted at any opinion of the effectiveness of water bombing ........

I sat for a nervous day watching the water plane fly over my house on it's way to and from fires 3 km away .... my point is not whether they make a difference ..... my point is that there were a thousand fires over a 3,000km area ..... which one of those fires would you have sent the extra plane to ......

On my last post I talked about our Governments incompetence

Our politicians are not proactive they are reactive and have burned our country up in all aspects

They can all go to Hawaii on a permanent holiday and stay there and we will never notice the difference

Pleas made two years ago for more federal funding for water bombers
State fire authorities have been forced to wait two years for a federal boost in long-term funding for air tankers to help control raging bushfires, after Canberra rejected a $25 million business case to expand the national fleet.
The nation’s aerial firefighting centre sought the funding commitment in December 2017 in a document that complained of a “loss in value” in essential federal support to deploy large air tankers for future summers.
The request fell on deaf ears and the federal Coalition chose instead to offer “one-off” funding a year later, before this summer’s bushfire crisis forced a change in approach in recent days.
images (3).jpg

Perhaps it's not solely the incompetency of politicians; rather our system of Governance.
We have a team in power who have 3-4 years to leave their "mark" and a team who believe it is their job to oppose everything said and done by the government, no matter how sensible/idiotic. Calling them 'the Opposition' emphases their role. They should be called 'the Alternative' and they should only be heard if they provide sensible alternate views, and when they support the Government's credible policies (there must be some!).
Wouldn't that be a refreshing change.
There should also be non-political departments for important matters, such as defence, power, water and infrastructure who are staffed by experts with vision. Wouldn't it be nice to have long-term plans and bi-partician support and funding for each of these essential resources that would be for the overall good of the country and not subject to the whims of ever-changing Government Ministers.
The other problem with a democracy is that everybody wants to have a say in everything, so most things get bogged down in red tape, even the good ideas. And the way our media works it's the most radial opinions that gain the most coverage. The quiet yet more progressive voice gets shouted down.
I get annoyed whenever a problem arises we hear the strident calls that "it's the Government's fault". They overestimate the competence and power of politicians. If they want the Government to control and look after everything then they should move to a Communist country. When you live in Australia you have to take responsibility for your own well being and not rely on politicians.

NSW police says officers have taken legal action against 183 people for more than 200 bushfire-related offences since November last year.

Out of those, 24 people have been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires.

Fifty-three people have had legal actions for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban.

Forty-seven people have had legal actions for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land.@:mad:

Bit surprised by some of the local NRL clubs while their communities are in crisis and need support. Looking at their website & twitter the Dragons have seemingly nothing to say. Raiders have left town due to smoke, but at least they seem to be planning some fundraising in Rd 1.

Respectfully....If now is not the right time to talk about this when is?

It has been a known issue for a number of years without action. People who ask for politics etc to not come in remind me of the old gun debate in the US where there never seems to be a good time to have a conversation.

Respectfully....If now is not the right time to talk about this when is?

It has been a known issue for a number of years without action. People who ask for politics etc to not come in remind me of the old gun debate in the US where there never seems to be a good time to have a conversation.
When did we stop being able to do things at once? Surely a bloke with a hose on the inferno can yell to the bloke next to him: **** this climate change ****!
A good friend came very close to having her house burnt down and it is all she can talk about.
Not the time to talk about an issue is possibly the most patronising thing that those in charge ever say.

Perhaps it's not solely the incompetency of politicians; rather our system of Governance.
We have a team in power who have 3-4 years to leave their "mark" and a team who believe it is their job to oppose everything said and done by the government, no matter how sensible/idiotic. Calling them 'the Opposition' emphases their role. They should be called 'the Alternative' and they should only be heard if they provide sensible alternate views, and when they support the Government's credible policies (there must be some!).
Wouldn't that be a refreshing change.
There should also be non-political departments for important matters, such as defence, power, water and infrastructure who are staffed by experts with vision. Wouldn't it be nice to have long-term plans and bi-partician support and funding for each of these essential resources that would be for the overall good of the country and not subject to the whims of ever-changing Government Ministers.
The other problem with a democracy is that everybody wants to have a say in everything, so most things get bogged down in red tape, even the good ideas. And the way our media works it's the most radial opinions that gain the most coverage. The quiet yet more progressive voice gets shouted down.
I get annoyed whenever a problem arises we hear the strident calls that "it's the Government's fault". They overestimate the competence and power of politicians. If they want the Government to control and look after everything then they should move to a Communist country. When you live in Australia you have to take responsibility for your own well being and not rely on politicians.

Many valid points I’d only argue that each of us have elected a representative to parliament and whether that rep is in govt or opposition, we have a right to be represented.
So much wrong with our parliamentary system but I wouldn’t swap it with the US presidential system for anything.

R
On my last post I talked about our Governments incompetence

Our politicians are not proactive they are reactive and have burned our country up in all aspects

They can all go to Hawaii on a permanent holiday and stay there and we will never notice the difference

Pleas made two years ago for more federal funding for water bombers
State fire authorities have been forced to wait two years for a federal boost in long-term funding for air tankers to help control raging bushfires, after Canberra rejected a $25 million business case to expand the national fleet.
The nation’s aerial firefighting centre sought the funding commitment in December 2017 in a document that complained of a “loss in value” in essential federal support to deploy large air tankers for future summers.
The request fell on deaf ears and the federal Coalition chose instead to offer “one-off” funding a year later, before this summer’s bushfire crisis forced a change in approach in recent days.
View attachment 13392
exactly! Now they are going to spend 100 times more on a clean up!
They are happy to spend money on the capital cities but all other areas can look after themselves!

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4