Announcement The App again, final vote on new option

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should we Switch to new alternative, with less functionality

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

Even though we had a fair few positive responders for the poll, it turns out the TCO for the app per year would be around $650 just to provide it to you. That's not something I would try to recoup from only 25 or so people, it means the app would cost you far more than it is worth in my opinion and there just isnt and ROI for us. I would rather put that money into better faster servers.

With that said there is an alternative, there is a new app on the market that I can plugin to the site, it will not cover all functionality, i.e. it wont handle all the extra things like the tipping comp and things like giphy.

That means that it really will be an app that offers the ability to post, the ability to reply and view the threads, and for other actions you will need to use the browser. It will also cover the push notifications.

This is a much lower cost and we would offer it free again. It comes with their branding in multiple places but will only cost me $50 to setup and $20 a month to maintain.

If this is of interest to you please vote above and I will make the call on it. It is a fully native app and not a browser wrapper like the last.

p.s i have made the call on shutting the other one down the TCO was too high and it will be shut down soon

Dan

I voted yes but am happy enough using the browser.
Faster servers may be the go.

I voted yes but am happy enough using the browser.
Faster servers may be the go.
faster servers will likely happen anyway, i just have to make a call on whether that is in Australia or in the states, Australia has obvious benefits for latency but the latency can be overcome by a more powerful machine

I voted yes on the basis that the new app will probably do exactly what I need anyway.

I'm not in the tipping, and don't use those gippy thingamies anyway.

I also don't mind paying for it, make it $2.99 or something like that to cover your out of pocket time @Dan

But happy to go with what ever the general consensus is!!

I voted yes on the basis that the new app will probably do exactly what I need anyway.

I'm not in the tipping, and don't use those gippy thingamies anyway.

I also don't mind paying for it, make it $2.99 or something like that to cover your out of pocket time @Dan

But happy to go with what ever the general consensus is!!
There isn't a way for me to charge for the app unless I bring it under my control and that is more expensive. I would rather just not do that. Perhaps I can make some kind of membership restriction later but lets just get it up and running first and worry about finance later

Gawd you guys are getting spoilt!

Why back in the early days of this forum, we would have to write our message on a piece of paper, attached it to a carrier pigeon which would then fly over to Dan who would take out the message and type it onto here!

I mean...it did stop a lot of b/s and Dan always seemed well fed at Christmas time, but still!!!!

Last edited:
Gawd you guys are getting spoilt!

Why back in the early days of this forum, we would have to write our message on a piece of paper, attached it to a carrier pigeon which would then fly over to Dan who would take out the message and type it onto here!

I mean...it did stop a lot of b/s and Dan always seemed well fed at Christmas time, but still!!!!
But man my arms were tired

best for me is rolling in scrooge mcduck money and drinking beer. but thats not an option here

Scrooge McDuck money ain't all it's cracked up to be......
images

I am willing to contribute some funds to help you out Dan if needed mate.I vote for whatever you like mate.

bump, thanks for the feedback so far all

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8