The Andrew Johns Show

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Unlike quite a few people here I don't mind the Thursday Night Footy show, despite it's lack of football talk.

I'm also a fan of Andrew Johns and the way he played the game. BUT, I found it very, very hard to sit through last nights show. Fair enough, a future immortal has retired from the game but Channel 9 and the predominantly Newcastle bias on the show made me feel like I was watching Andrew get a hand job for an hour. It just went way beyond ridiculous. Somewhere along the lines Matty and Chief have got the skewed opinion that on the seventh day Johns created league. Although I won't crap on about that too much for fear of execution.

My main gripe this year is what's with scraping Sterlo for Willie Mason and Mark Gasnier? I know not a lot like Sterlo but at times he was the level head on the show and his obvious love for the game rather than the idiocies of the Thursday nights has him on the much more football orientated show on Sunday.

Anyway, are there any other players, in the entire NRL, both past and present, who would be better suited to promote the game than Willie and Mark??? Seriously, how quickly does channel 9 forget Gasnier's mobile phone message after SOO a few years back? Or Mason's involvement in the Coffs harbor incident... or rumored white line chasing in night clubs? What outstanding figures to promote the game hey? Or are they just the ones who landed TV deals after threaten to boycott the game for NFL or Union?

There has got to be players or figures in Rugby League who are a better role models, better speakers and all round nicer guys than the pack of idiots they have on the show this season. Why didn't they try and get someone like Shane Webke or Steve Menzies? Both are very articulate and upstanding people who would add a lot more than the two already there. Ben Kennedy or Hasem ElMasri?

Its disappointing to time and time again see the same pack of assholes getting the gigs.

I completely agree fLIP.
I too like the Footy Show but last night was a complete John's Spoof-a-thon.

Did Gaz say anything except when Luke Baily was on???

Willie Mason is a complete joke , and the fact they keep giving him Newspaper colums and TV air time just inflates his ego and makes him think he actually has something to offer.
One only has to watch the AFL Footy Show to see that they have a far better format and far more intelligent footballers. I love NRL far more than AFL but can admit NRL footballers for the majority are complete idiots.

Fortunatley I have Fox so I can get a dose of what a REAL Football Show should contain.
The rabble started when they promoted Chief to the starting line up.

Anyway , the Amazing Race is back on now so I dont think I will be watching the Footy Show too much anymore.

As much as I hate to admit it the AFL footy show runs rings around the NRL. It is much more sturctured, more serious and is really enjoyable. It still has its funny side with Sam Newman (the bloke is a clown but he knows how to play people) but not the same sort of low level humour that is on the NRL show.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a fair few fans out there are just like Flip.

An extended segment (over 2-3 ad breaks) that talks football strategies & tactics, players, coaching, juniors, etc with a discussion on games coming up.

AND if thats done with a commentary panel made up of people who represent those differing facets of the game AND are people to take seriously & respect (like Beaver for instance) it would be a winner with dedicated fans.

the reason these guys are on the show is Ch 9 are paying them on top of their salaries which helped keep them in the NRL, especially Gaz and now what and see what a Joey overload we will get.

I agree there are dozens of better players and figures in the game that would portray the NRL on screen rather tham slime like Willie and Gaznier, I respect them incredibly as athletes but they are not good people and the types i would want my kids watching on the footy show.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a fair few fans out there are just like Flip.

An extended segment (over 2-3 ad breaks) that talks football strategies & tactics, players, coaching, juniors, etc with a discussion on games coming up.

AND if thats done with a commentary panel made up of people who represent those differing facets of the game AND are people to take seriously & respect (like Beaver for instance) it would be a winner with dedicated fans.

That would be perfect and is very similar to the structure they have on the AFL show.

I don't mind the some of the stuff they do, but some more respectable figures and a lot more footy talk would be great. I like Fox Sports Wednesday night show and the Sunday Footy show on 9.

At the moment the show is being used to promote a handful of players and their agendas. Its defiantly not everybody's cup of tea where as it could be so much more accommodating for all fans.

Its like Pepsi said, its to top up the salary of the blokes looking to go elsewhere. I just wish it was more for the fans though.

I'm like Earl - I switched to the Amazing Race and will have to wait till The Sunday Footy Show and Sunday Roast to get any thing decent.
I'll admit it- I hated Peter Sterling when he was on the show but now you see how much he held everything together.

i dont generally like the footy show, but last night i watched it and enjoyed it

Love him or hate him, Joey was a champion player and deserved a tribute

spot on Flip. I cant STAND how suddenly.. Masons past has been forgotten.. drug scandals.. rape.. taxi incident(ofcourse all allegedly) etc etc

Yet.. the media still make him upto be something hes not... Footy show gig? calls to make him captain of Blues side... making australian squad..

yet with Hoppa.. who made ONFIELD incidents.. got MURDERED as the 'bad boy'.... yeah hoppa was wrong.. and got punished for it.. but where is Masons punishment? A regular tv show host and a ****en test spot. its beyond a joke.

Cant stand Mason...

Each has their own character portrayal. Gaz is a surfer. Benji is a break dancer. Ricko is Bond type ladies man.

And what is Mason....................a pimp gambler :lol:

Corny and cringeworthy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4