The 8th Immortal to be named this year.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If they hold off with the announcement for about 18 months they will be able to give it too DCE as he holds up Manlys third successive premiership trophy.

Don't really remember norm provan. that St george team of the 60s is pretty well represented though.
Still they did win 10 in a row.

The great rabbitohs side that almost did 5 in a row just after that don't have anyone yet. Ron Coote could be one. Bob McCarthy would be another. manly picked up 2 of the other standouts in lurch and ray branigan.

Been watching since 1972 and have never seen a player control a game like Johns. Sterling was good at this but Johns took it to a new level and has been the benchmark for all halves since. Only string Johns didnt have on his bow was speed.

Not Meninga. Can't forget his "What has League ever done for me?" as he took his pieces of silver from Super League, conveniently forgetting how he was gifted a record 4th Kangaroo tour. A good player but his onfield success had a lot to do with the fact that most of the time he was twice as big as his opponent.

I really think Provan Kelly or Coote should be next given heir age and they made the Team of the Century. Meninga Johns and Irvine to follow.

I read a Eels fan making a case for Hindmarsh. That gives Vic Mauro a chance because he is already at at Hindmarshs skill level.

bob dylan said:
I read a Eels fan making a case for Hindmarsh. That gives Vic Mauro a chance because he is already at at Hindmarshs skill level.

Vic Mauro is already an immortal, of our hearts.

Interesting that the 'panel' of experts includes some real idiots. Hadley et al. They've been told to only look at on-field talents. Looks like Lui could make it later on. You could be a real wife beating drug taker and still attain God-like status. 'Immortal', stupid stuff.

Provan will be the one in 2012.

Then we wait another 5-8 years for the next (who will probably be Lockyer).

I don't see Johns getting this for his off field discretions.

Meninga...maybe....be that would be a further 5-8 years from the next one

bob dylan said:
I would like to see Provan and Coote recognised in their lifetimes

I think Provan should be the next. He's nearing 80 so he is by far the oldest. I understand that he was captain, then captain/coach in 10 straight premierships, and was MOM in three of them.
Because very few of the judges saw him play I think his unbelievable efforts have been devalued.
There is time for the others nominated, all of who are worthy.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Provan will be the one in 2012.

Then we wait another 5-8 years for the next (who will probably be Lockyer).

I don't see Johns getting this for his off field discretions.

Meninga...maybe....be that would be a further 5-8 years from the next one

Provan needs to be there and the only reason he's not already is because of two things 1) when they first did it they didn't want to make it dragon orientated
2) politics - to make the qrl happy

The thing about the Immortal tag is that it's based on playing the game itself otherwise - Joey and his off field dramas would never get a look in, Meninga with his 'whatever has RL ever done for me' remark during the sl war also his coaching won't get looked at.
There's already one immortal that had trouble off field and that was Raper : the infamous bowling hat thing whilst on tour with the kangaroos.

Well you'll never have another modern player named if you excluded guys who popped the odd pill or smoked the odd joint. Joey's "off field dramas" would pale into insignificance when compared to many others exploits behind closed doors I'm sure. Such a beat up.

I put johns in front of Mal everyday of the week, you have to remember it is based on playing only. Not coaching records or pill records. The drug thing discourages a few votes, but technically it should not. Mal won premierships because of the squad they had. He was just a cog in the green machine. Without johns, Newcastle were nothing. He was a player I watched with anticipation, much like I did with Cliffy. Cliffy doesn't get half the accolades he deserved

Johns will because it will be far more marketable for the game.

Also the panelists were interviewed on tv last night and many of those pelicans were talking up Johns.

I reckon Ricky Stewart should be up there instead of johns.

Obviously Mark you have no knowledge of the great Dickie Poole. Actually he lived in the house I currently own here in Newtown when he played for the Bluebags.

And shouldn't Glenn Lazarus be considered. Just how many GF rings does he have?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6