The 80's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The 80's were the Silvertail years were Arko wore the $alary cap and was the envy of all teams
My best team of the 80's ...
1. Eadie
2. Boutstead
3. Gartner
4. O'connor
5. Shearer
6. Cliffy
7. Toovey
8. Kevin Ward
9. Krillich
10. Ian Thompson
11. Les Boyd
12. Terry Randall
13. Ron Gibbs
Bench :
14. Lewis Brown
15. Phil Blake
16. Paul Vautin
17. Noel Cleal.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
For me,watching the replays from the eighties on Fox is all new to me,from 81 thru to 88 I was in both Victoria and WA whilst in the RAAF and both of those states showed no NRL on either the news or replays,I pretty much missed out on results,players and in fact all things Sea Eagles.
How good is it to see the good ,and and ugly of that decade.

I know exactly how you felt. I was a kid growing up in Adelaide during the 80s, during winter if it wasn't the local SANFL, the VFL or the Adelaide 36ers in the NBL.....it didn't count as sports newsworthy. It wasn't until the early 90s that we started getting regular broadcasts and even games played here.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
My own team of the 80s.....

Coach - Bozo (who else? lol)

FB - Graham Eadie
WG - Dale Shearer
CE - Darrell Williams
CE - Michael O'Connor
WG - Kerry Boustead
FE - Cliff Lyons
HB - Des Hasler
PR - Phil Daley
HK - Mal Cochrane
PR - Kevin Ward
SR - Terry Randall
SR - Les Boyd
LK - Paul Vautin (c)

Bench - Noel Cleal, Phil Blake (remember, they only had 2 on the bench during that time).

Honorable mentions to Max Krillich, Geoff Toovey, Stuart Davis, Ronny Gibbs and Mark Broadhurst.

shawn.b

Reserve Grader
The 80's were the Silvertail years were Arko wore the $alary cap and was the envy of all teams
1. Eadie
2. Boutstead
3. Gartner
4. O'connor
5. Shearer
6. Cliffy
7. Toovey
8. Kevin Ward
9. Krillich
10. Ian Thompson
11. Les Boyd
12. Terry Randall
13. Ron Gibbs
Bench :
14. Lewis Brown
15. Phil Blake
16. Paul Vautin
17. Noel Cleal.

Some versatility on the bench.

I am sure there will be some debate about the make up though.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
1. Eadie
2. Boutstead
3. Gartner
4. O'connor
5. Shearer
6. Cliffy
7. Toovey
8. Kevin Ward
9. Krillich
10. Ian Thompson
11. Les Boyd
12. Terry Randall
13. Ron Gibbs
Bench :
14. Lewis Brown
15. Phil Blake
16. Paul Vautin
17. Noel Cleal.
Lewis Brown very funny @BOZO it made me laugh on a very quiet bus.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Late 70's & very early eighties, it was nothing to go week by week, seeing, Oils, Radiators, ACDC, Mi-Sex, Jimmy & the Boys and somehow always kept missing Chisel. Take me back! Just love all of their first 1 or 2 albums.

Another great Aussie band formed in Adelaide ;)

True fact.....I went to high school with David Campbell who said numerous times that he didn't want everyone to know he was Barnsey's son. But of course by actually saying it often enough pretty soon it was known throughout the whole school (Northfield High School at the time had around 1,000 students. Sadly the school no longer exists). It was something he wanted to keep secret, but he told enough people for it not to be.

Last edited:

brad

First Grader
1. Eadie
2. Boutstead
3. Gartner
4. O'connor
5. Shearer
6. Cliffy
7. Toovey
8. Kevin Ward
9. Krillich
10. Ian Thompson
11. Les Boyd
12. Terry Randall
13. Ron Gibbs
Bench :
14. Lewis Brown
15. Phil Blake
16. Paul Vautin
17. Noel Cleal.
I knew u had a soft spot for the great man at 14 .

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I know exactly how you felt. I was a kid growing up in Adelaide during the 80s, during winter if it wasn't the local SANFL, the VFL or the Adelaide 36ers in the NBL.....it didn't count as sports newsworthy. It wasn't until the early 90s that we started getting regular broadcasts and even games played here.

I moved to adelaide in 1980 , i felt your pain. I used to go to the local newsagent and skim through sports results in the australian newspaper to get results. I finally found a newsagent that ordered the rlw for me but well before pooters the system required a memory order, so it often didnt turn up or quite often on the tuesday the next week.

Just moved back to adelaide after 30 years away, thank god for globalisation . But now ive had to dirty my soul and connect fox, ah well

manly al

First Grader
1. Eadie
2. Boutstead
3. Gartner
4. O'connor
5. Shearer
6. Cliffy
7. Toovey
8. Kevin Ward
9. Krillich
10. Ian Thompson
11. Les Boyd
12. Terry Randall
13. Ron Gibbs
Bench :
14. Lewis Brown
15. Phil Blake
16. Paul Vautin
17. Noel Cleal.
Gee , Lewis Brown ahead of well rated Manly forwards of the 80 's , Ray Brown and Dave Brown, Quite a wrap , BOZO . Hope that does not mean that you may now nominate him in the all time Manly Greats category / On a serious note Dave Brown although a good player , may have sometimes had an issue with his occasional below par work rate but Ray Brown and on the assessment of some good footy judges was one of those exceptional players of his time . Just so versatile and mobile and although essentially a hooker , could play and perform well anywhere in the forward pack . So many good and top players and teams for Manly in the Eighties and again just unfortunate and a bit unlucky to have only gained the one title during that time .

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I moved to adelaide in 1980 , i felt your pain. I used to go to the local newsagent and skim through sports results in the australian newspaper to get results. I finally found a newsagent that ordered the rlw for me but well before pooters the system required a memory order, so it often didnt turn up or quite often on the tuesday the next week.

Just moved back to adelaide after 30 years away, thank god for globalisation . But now ive had to dirty my soul and connect fox, ah well

At least you knew about RLW. As a kid growing up here I had no idea it even existed until the early 90s when I was in my mid-late teens.

Adelaide still sucks the big one when it comes to rugby league and if not for it being on GEM we wouldn't even get it on television unless you have Foxtel.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
At least you knew about RLW. As a kid growing up here I had no idea it even existed until the early 90s when I was in my mid-late teens.

Adelaide still sucks the big one when it comes to rugby league and if not for it being on GEM we wouldn't even get it on television unless you have Foxtel.
Yeah reading it a week late was better than nothing. I didnt realise gem had footy other than orgin. What games do they show. Friday night, sunday i presume. Do any pubs in adelaide do it as a regular ?

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That video is off my utube channel, and music - devynals
He was/is special as was the music
Cant complain about the 80s

If so...you are far too famous to be hanging out on here!

I shall now go and see if those other videos can teach me to swim.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Yeah reading it a week late was better than nothing. I didnt realise gem had footy other than orgin. What games do they show. Friday night, sunday i presume. Do any pubs in adelaide do it as a regular ?

No idea which pubs show league here as I'm not one who really does the pub thing. And yes, Friday night and Sunday arvo is what we get on GEM.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Re-watched the 87 grand final last night, what a fantastic side that was, could so easily have put many more points on the Raiders. And such an attractive style of play, why wouldn't anyone follow Manly?!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13