The 1st Leeds try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tough one, but benefit of the doubt will go to the attacking team.

Did the ball go forward once it left his hand? Hmmm, no.

I'm maroon & white, but I'd have given the try. One of the luckiest I've ever seen.
Great work from Orford...nearly...:)

I don't think it was a knock-on but he was tackled, held up by Ox, then let the ball go.  If you determine he didn't let the ball go intentionally then it must be a knock on.  If he let the ball go intentionally after he was tackled, then no try surely, you can't just shovel the ball out after you're tackled.  Anyway Robinson had a very ordinary game even though I blogged that I thought he was OK (I think I remember him reffing the Eagles v Sharks win).  I can't see why the ESL heavies chose him to do the match.  Surely they can't hate our three best refs that much, can they?

Just watching it now...

Orford's hand pushed or assisted the ball in coming out. That, and it did not go forward, constituted a try.
Pffttt...feckers....lucky one at that too.

The put down was irrelevant for me, the push in the back of our player immediately made it no try for me

I well remember Brett pushing a Melbourne player who wasn't anywhere near the ball to get to the ball in the in goal area being penalized.  Oh well, who cares now.

Brett was penalised for pushing Slater who parked in front of him when he was going for the ball. In the Grand Final, the same thing happened to Brett but the officials just ignored it.

Lucky try yes - but luckiest ever was in the Souths game when Perry scored. Came off his head and the whole paddock stopped!!!

To me it was a consolation try from the video to make up for the awarded try to Choc off the forward pass that he received to make the try.

Yeah Jethro, forward passes are the biggest blot on the game imo.  The referee's don't seem to think so though.  I can't see why video refs can't determine if there's a forward pass in the passing movement leading up to the try.  Melbourne beat us at Brookvale last year after scoring of two forward passes.  Most annoying when all those of the park can see it but touchies and the ref don't.

I wonder why they haven't used the technique of superimposing a grid onto the field like NFL does.  Even for the commentators to use it would be handy, let alone the vid ref.  The easiest way to judge offside and forward passes, unless i'm missing something obvious?

In any case it's all good, adds some drama to the game, even though it went the other way

eggson link said:
I wonder why they haven't used the technique of superimposing a grid onto the field like NFL does.  Even for the commentators to use it would be handy, let alone the vid ref.  The easiest way to judge offside and forward passes, unless i'm missing something obvious?

In any case it's all good, adds some drama to the game, even though it went the other way

I dont know if that is 100% accurate. I think all of that comes from the hawkeye technology and the NRL it seems have not fully invested in it

Not really mate as you already have the marked lines on the field to go off. You can get a square from those lines and superimpose accurate lines in between. You dont need Hawkeye for that.

The only problem will be this bull**** about passing backwards and the ball drifting forwards. Its not black and white unfortunately.

clontaago link said:
Not really mate as you already have the marked lines on the field to go off. You can get a square from those lines and superimpose accurate lines in between. You dont need Hawkeye for that.

The only problem will be this bullS**t about passing backwards and the ball drifting forwards. Its not black and white unfortunately.

You need to calculate camera angle to the ground taking into account any slope of the ground and line markings if they are not 100% accurate. not to mention elevation of the camera from the ground

A field that slopes slightly with a camera angle of say 50 degrees  from the corner, with the field sloping upwards, would not give a 100% accurate view unless you calculated all of these factors in.

If you take line to line markings and put a basic grid on it, and the camera was on half way, the grid at either end would not match accurately.

This is one of the reasons they do not let the video ref decide. perspective makes a massive difference, the same reason that the video ref judges offside by eye and not with a grid.

hawkeye can handle a lot of this (the technology behind it at least0) however you need to do all the math etc to get it correct, and I daresay someone to survey the field before each game.

Canteen Worker link said:
Brett was penalised for pushing Slater who parked in front of him when he was going for the ball. In the Grand Final, the same thing happened to Brett but the officials just ignored it.

Lucky try yes - but luckiest ever was in the Souths game when Perry scored. Came off his head and the whole paddock stopped!!!

Nah luckiest ever was willow when he strolled up behind (i cant remmber who) that had chased a kick and tried to score leaving the ball between his legs and all willow did was add the downward pressure

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4