• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't wait to hear Billy explain how a player can stand still and pass backwards to a player 2 metres ahead of him who has to stretch his arms out in front of him to catch it.

MadMarcus said:
Can't wait to hear Billy explain how a player can stand still and pass backwards to a player 2 metres ahead of him who has to stretch his arms out in front of him to catch it.
surely the ball was spinning in a certain orientation, which can only mean the ball was thrown backwards.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Blake said:
They should just do away with the momentum rule. If the ball is caught in front its a forward pass. All it means is that players will make more effort to pass backwards.

That would not work. There was a long thread devoted to this topic including a Physics 101 primer not that long ago.

As Des said after the game, the forward pass was not the reason we lost. (Even though in one way it was!)

Those ref decisions suck but what also was so dissapointing was the way we let those tigers claw their way back from 12 points to nil. It was bloody heart breaking .Its not the end of the world , we have five or six games before the semis to hopefully learn from this capitsulation.

BOZO said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Blake said:
They should just do away with the momentum rule. If the ball is caught in front its a forward pass. All it means is that players will make more effort to pass backwards.

That would not work. There was a long thread devoted to this topic including a Physics 101 primer not that long ago.

As Des said after the game, the forward pass was not the reason we lost. (Even though in one way it was!)

Those ref decisions suck but what also was so dissapointing was the way we let those tigers claw their way back from 12 points to nil. It was bloody heart breaking .Its not the end of the world , we have five or six games before the semis to hopefully learn from this capitsulation.

That was no capitsulation. Illawarra today was a capitsulation :)

Yeah, we may have felt deflated conceding 14 points in one half, but Illawarra supporters must be suicidal watching 34 points being scored against them in 45 minutes!
I trust this may stop some of the pro-Illawarra posts that have been creeping in on this forum.
Every team is vulnerable.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
That was no capitsulation. Illawarra today was a capitsulation :)

Capitsulation: = When someone wholly agrees to the proposition that the entire ACT is to receive rebated insulation through the Federal Labours home insulation stimulus scheme.

They pointed this forward pass out on the Sunday Roast aswell. They can't believe it was not picked up.

This whole forward pass thing drives me mad :

In my opinion a ball should be called forward if it travels forward, not if it is directed forward. Its like saying 'That should be a try because he intended to put the ball down over the line' or 'never mind that he knocked it on, if it wasn't for the moisture on the ball he would have caught it'. In both these examples an external effect is in play - ie a tackling player, or the moisture, in both these examples the player is responsible to negate the effect and either score the try or catch the ball regardless - it is made fair by the fact that all players on the field have to live by the same rules.

While a player can not directly control the momentum and spin of the ball once it leaves his hands he can and should be responsible for passing the ball in such a way as to negate these effects.

The whole dropping a TV from a moving car argument is likewise flawed, because if I were told that I had to throw a TV from a car, and have it travel backwards, then to comply with the directions I would have to negate the effect of momentum, not simply use it as an excuse for my failure.

The issue with the forward pass being excused because of spin of the ball, or wind, or momentum is that it introduces a grey area where different rulings can be applied to different situations and different players - this is inherently unfair and unbalanced and would be better solved by a black and white rule.

Then all we would have to worry about is a difference in perception, unlike now where we have both that and a difference in interpretation.

In today's Tele Phil Rothfield says: "When Bill Harrigan was the game's number one referee many years ago, the top whistleblower always got the match of the round. Not any more. Manly V Wests Tigers was clearly the best game of the weekend yet Tony Archer was in Townsville and Shayne Hayne in Wollongong. It's another reason why teams like the Tigers are scoring match-deciding tries from blatant forward passes like they did in Gosford. Jason Robinson, Ashley Klein and the touch judges who missed it need an urgent appointment with their sponsors at OPSM."

I blame Manly more than the referees for us losing but we still shouldn't have to put up with the crap they dish up week after week. The refereeing standards are the worst I have ever seen since I have been following the game.

Each week referees co-coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper answer your questions. Today Bill looks at key talking points from round 21.

In the Tigers v Manly game, was the pass that put the Tigers in the lead forward?

Yes, in our view it was forward. We are not about to try and manufacture an excuse to hide that fact. I simply felt the officials made an incorrect call and that has been pointed out. Mistakes will be made from time to time. We need to do all we can to prevent them, and part of that is putting your hand up to acknowledge an error.

manlysister said:
Each week referees co-coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper answer your questions. Today Bill looks at key talking points from round 21.

In the Tigers v Manly game, was the pass that put the Tigers in the lead forward?

Yes, in our view it was forward. We are not about to try and manufacture an excuse to hide that fact. I simply felt the officials made an incorrect call and that has been pointed out. Mistakes will be made from time to time. We need to do all we can to prevent them, and part of that is putting your hand up to acknowledge an error.

Thanks Bill. That makes it all better. How many apologies have we received this year? Let's hope it's our grand final opponent getting one to make up for all the dud calls we got during the season.

Hey bill, (little b) Change the bloody rule. Let the video ref tip off the on field ref he's made a mistake.

The video referee cannot rule on forward passes because they say the angle of tv cameras makes it impossible to judge whether a pass has been thrown forward or not. If that's the case, how can they now say that the pass was forward after viewing the video? They need to make up their minds.... You can either tell by the video or you can't.
I believe the video referee should be able to rule on forward passes. Then we would have the correct decision on blatant forward passes like the one on Friday night and the one against Parra last year. The ones where it is inconclusive on the video can always be given benefit if the doubt. It's simple really but we just make it hard by having imbeciles like Gallop and Bill Harrigan running the game.

Saying sorry on a Monday morning after the stuff ups seems to be an easy fix for them. Ooops sorry we stuffed up again **** happens. Nah get it right the first time how hard is it. This is your job if we did this in our jobs we would be severly reprimanded or sacked.....

bones said:
The video referee cannot rule on forward passes because they say the angle of tv cameras makes it impossible to judge whether a pass has been thrown forward or not. If that's the case, how can they now say that the pass was forward after viewing the video? They need to make up their minds.... You can either tell by the video or you can't.
I believe the video referee should be able to rule on forward passes. Then we would have the correct decision on blatant forward passes like the one on Friday night and the one against Parra last year. The ones where it is inconclusive on the video can always be given benefit if the doubt. It's simple really but we just make it hard by having imbeciles like Gallop and Bill Harrigan running the game.

True, but there any several other anomolies. They can rule in a ball is knocked-on or knocked back...
they can only review the final play in a try. What about the mistakes that happen in previous plays in the set?

Makes it so much better, simple GET ****ED BILL hand in your notice, and all we all thought finch was bad

Phantar said:
Look - at least he admitted it was a mistake. That's vastly better than the alternative.

No it's not. It seems that every second week Manly get an admission that a dud call was made yet there is obviously no effort made to rectify the situation and week after week dud calls are made and noone is held accountable. Bill got stood down last year for making a dud call against Manly, it just so happens that the week he was stood down was a bye week and therefore less officials were required for the matches and Bill wanted the weekend off because his son was playing a soccer final. Good work NRL, show the public that they are being held accountable, but only if it suits the official in question. As much as I dislike AFL, at least they have their sh!t sorted with regard to match officials and monumental blunders are rare. The NRL is a joke, more matches are decided by refereeing errors than by the talents of the 2 teams playing.

They say "you win some, you lose some" but it doesn't apply. When was the last time the Tigers or Dragons lost a match due to a dud call and when was the last time Manly won because of one? The Bulldogs missed out on a minor premiership in 2009 because of a single dud call, it WILL eventually cost someone a premiership.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6