Ten eyes joint rights bid with Seven

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE Ten Network is considering a joint bid with Seven for the rugby league broadcasting rights, to challenge the stranglehold of Nine and Fox Sports on televising games
A bullish Fox Sports boss Patrick Delany declared......

Read the full article

the last Paragraph

Fox Sports wants to broadcast all games live, televising Nine's three games concurrently in a move to retain its subscribers in NSW and Queensland. Both Fox Sports and Nine will be able to make a final bid if their first offer to the ARLC is not bettered by 20 per cent by their rivals.

The next TV Deal

No doubt the next TV deal will be a winner for Rugby League in this country but to what extent will it affect the coverage that those of us outside major centre's receive?

I personally hope - and believe it will probably work out to be the case - that Foxtel continue to show eight games per week - five live or near enough to.

I can record the games ad free and with a wife who doesn't share my passion/understand why I can't talk to her, when Manly are playing a lot of the time it is easier to put the kids to bed make her a cup of tea and watch the game at my convenience.

But the major factor is that I can watch all the games if I have Austar. Currently I am living in Katherine and in July I will be on Groote Eylandt and Austar is the only way I can receive the games each week - Imparja (a nine affiliate) doesn't even broadcast digital - the only digital channels we get are ABC and SBS. And the best internet we can get here is 15gb usb modem from telstra so other means of watching the game are not really viable either.

If Seven or Ten get the license then they will play the games live into QLD and NSW on their flagship channel and then swap with the AFL in the other states utelising 7mate or 1HD- this doesn't help me until they can broadcast their digital channel's across Australia the same way Austar can.

On another note -

I really can't stand the Channel Nine Sunday afternoon game and tend to watch it replayed on fox for the simple reason that you can predict the result of close games by what time it is in the afternoon - Looks like it could go to Golden Point in a Sunday afternoon match, you look down at your watch and it says 5:58 - forget it he misses the goal the news is always on at 6:00pm!

RE: The next TV Deal

At this stage there will always be some footy on free to air due to the anti siphoning rule that protects many sports. Even if ch10/7 partnership wins the rights it is thought they will on sell many games to fox or similar

I hope Channel 7 & Ten pick up the weekly matches, and the NRL sells the SOO and Test/rep matches to Nine. That way we'll get the best of all the TV networks, and less chance of agenda-driven schedules.
Don't forget that only 30% of households, I believe, have Pay-TV. I don't have it for a variety of reasons.
But I get the FTA feeder channels, such as Go, Gem, One etc so all the matches should be able to be shown on these channels.

Eagles2nv said:
I dont have fox so i ope all games go free-to-air :)

in an ideal world so would I but I can't get all these channels that you can so it's not really ideal for me if I can't get the games just because I don't live in Sydney.

Top End Eagle said:
Eagles2nv said:
I dont have fox so i ope all games go free-to-air :)

in an ideal world so would I but I can't get all these channels that you can so it's not really ideal for me if I can't get the games just because I don't live in Sydney.

to give you some hope, apparently Foxtel are going to buy out Austar. All the FTA channels are also broadcast as part of the Foxtel package I believe, so you might be able to get it that way.

I think there was some legal reason that Austar couldn't show FTA channels but stuffed if I can remember what that was!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4