Tell me why Brisbane on Fridays again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
I am convinced that the drop in crowds this season have largely been due to the scheduling, primarily selected by Channel 9. Featuring games between the bottom teams weeks before the semis, certainly does not inspire people to go to games, if the TV game is to represent the standard of the NRL. You can say what you like about Monday games, but it looks like Fox pull in over 200,000 viewers a week. For example, the Sunday channel 9 games have been poor selections during the season, missing out on top of the table matches stops the game marketing the spectacle and solely relying on the tribal theme of the game
On another note,
I have been wondering if Channel 9 have got it right by having Brisbane (nearly) every Friday. Looking at the ratings for Rounds 20,21 & 22 and there are some interesting results for the Friday night games.

Round 20 Brisbane v NQ 263k viewers in Brisbane
Round 20 CB v Parra 350k viewers in Sydney

Round 21 Brisbane v Newcastle 254k viewers in Brisbane
Round 21 ES v Penrith 263k viewers in Sydney

Round 22 224k viewers in Brisbane
Round 22 SS v Melbourne 396k viewers in Sydney

Round 22 is an interesting result, no Qld team on the Friday night and the best combined result between the two cities. A top of the table match and nearly 400k viewers in Sydney. Not sure which game aired first in Brisbane, guessing Melb&SS, but it certainly did well in comparison and especially constantly being told that Brisbane has to be on air for the Qld ratings.
Take what you want for this, but boy, it is going to be a long off season!

I watch the first game on Friday night because it is live but the second game is on too late and Hadley ****s me with his commentary.

No wonder TV ratings are down. They would be better off playing the second game on Sunday or Thursday night.

There were some absolute shocking quality games on Friday night this year, how many times did we have to watch Wests Tigers go around? Ch 9 have no one to blame but themselves.

Simply, the likes of the Broncos, Parramatta, Tigers and Dragons failing to make a dent all season, was the reason we had a dip in ratings (considering the insistance of showing these teams) and attendances. We you see a +20% drop in fans turning up to the game, you have to expect it to have an adverse effect across the competition numbers.

The test is whether Ch9 get this, or persist with scheduling those clubs, even though at least 3 look barely able to improve on their 2013 result.

Channel Nein obviously don't think Brisbane viewers are real rugby league fans. They must believe they will only watch the Boncos play.
I'm sure I'm like most true RL supporters who will watch a match if it is between two quality teams.
If Channel Nein's logic is accurate there would have been very few Brisbane viewers watching the grand final.

For the life of me I don't understand why 9 here in QLD doesn't give the Cowgirls or the Tits a run . I can semi understand the Tits who are not popular unless they are winning but the NQ side is pretty popular state wide.

You may find its different in 2014 given the poor showing of the Donkeys this year .

Its simply $$$'s mate. Channel 9 make less tv advertising dollars due to lower ratings when the Titans, Cowboys or any other team plays Friday night. The Broncos make them the most money in Brisbane, naturally, when they are playing the Friday night, which is why thats their time slot every week. And thats why ch 9 want another Brisbane team - $$$'s.

The Broncos are promoted to the exclusion of every other team in the media up here, consequently everybody who is not a Broncos supporter is heartily sick of hearing about them.
Collectively the majority of people support other teams and most are'nt interested in seeing Brisbane play every Friday night.
This year I very rarely watched CH9 on a Friday and I know many other people who are equally unimpressed by Nines programming.
Their play Brisbane and rake in the bucks strategy may end up backfiring on them.

The kicker for me in Nein's programming was Round 22. That was the round we defeated the Warriors 27-12 in Gosford. That game featuring the 2011 Grand Finalists was between teams 3 and 10 on the ladder and was shown on Fox Sports. The Nein Sunday game? Donkeys v Dragons, which was team 12 vs 14 and neither side could get into the 8 regardless of the result.

The really sad part of that round was that Nein's Sydney game on the Friday night was that most important of matches this season......16th placed Parramatta up against the 15th placed Wests Tigers.

Nein likes to promote itself as the "Home of rugby league, its past, present and future". What a joke. All they are interested in is $$$ and ratings. From the way they program their games and who gets air time, its clear they couldn't give a rats arse about the fans of the game.

Its probably safe to say that Brisbane got more game time on Nein this year than the Raiders, Warriors and Cowboys (at least during the minor rounds) combined have seen in the past 2 or 3 years. In fact, I can't remember seeing a Raiders game on Nein in 2013, and the only time we saw Canberra Stadium was for the ANZAC Test.

HoldenV8 said:
The kicker for me in Nein's programming was Round 22. That was the round we defeated the Warriors 27-12 in Gosford. That game featuring the 2011 Grand Finalists was between teams 3 and 10 on the ladder and was shown on Fox Sports. The Nein Sunday game? Donkeys v Dragons, which was team 12 vs 14 and neither side could get into the 8 regardless of the result.

The really sad part of that round was that Nein's Sydney game on the Friday night was that most important of matches this season......16th placed Parramatta up against the 15th placed Wests Tigers.

Exactly.

Note Round 22 was not scheduled before the season started, when 9 may have been forgiven for thinking (or at least hoping) that the tigers, dragons and broncos would be in the hunt for finals spots.

Round 22 was scheduled later in the year, which 9 keeps telling anyone who will listen gives them the chance to schedule the blockbuster games that everyone want's to see on FTA.

Honestly I could live with either picking competitive games that will have a bearing on the premiership or sharing it around so we can see teams like Raiders, Cowboys, Warriors and even scum more often (not to mention Manly), but this blatant playing favourites with absolutely no consideration of fairness or merit just seems to get worse every year!

There. That took my mind of the GF for a minute or 2...

The good news is that the Broncos will front up in 2014 like they did in 2013.
Their recruitment is non-existent and their Coach is bereft of tactics.
Thaiday and Hodges are on their last legs and are passengers more often than not.

So Nein will be getting less and less Viewers to advertise to - the Sponsors may catch on sooner than Nein :cool:

On the contrary, Brisbane is active in player recruitment. They have Barba and are trying to poach Milford from Canberra and Cameron Smith from Melbourne as well as our champion, DCE. The irony is that all of these players were rejected by the Boncos early in their careers.
I dislike Brisbane more than any other club because they have so many unfair advantages, but I can't see them remaining weak for long. The NRL will be hoping Brisbane is a title threat in 2014. I, unfortunately, think they will be.

The Who said:
On the contrary, Brisbane is active in player recruitment. They have Barba and are trying to poach Milford from Canberra and Cameron Smith from Melbourne as well as our champion, DCE. The irony is that all of these players were rejected by the Boncos early in their careers.
I dislike Brisbane more than any other club because they have so many unfair advantages, but I can't see them remaining weak for long. The NRL will be hoping Brisbane is a title threat in 2014. I, unfortunately, think they will be.

I tend to agree. As for the Friday night games, the Bronco's players (Thaiday in particular, on several occasions) say they would much prefer Sunday afternoon games. Imagine the crowds they'd pull at the ground, and Nine could still have them as the Sunday game. The Titans and Cowboys would probably draw as much interest and ratings on a Friday night as the Bronco's. Nine and the NRL should give them more.

As for us...I hate Friday night games, but not as much as Monday night games. Just give us all Sunday afternoon games next year. That would be great. Plus, the NRL have an obligation to look after us ageing sides.:p

Barba's a basket case, and all the others that they want are under contract at other Clubs :cool:

But its not our problem as we dont live in Qld.

Advertising revenue will continue to direct programming on all channels :(

The Who said:

Seems Todd Lowrie is the latest player to be granted a release from his (Warriors) contract on "compassionate grounds" to join the Broncos.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the agenda of the game's free to air broadcaster flies in the face of the objective of the clubs ?

While clubs are trying everything they can to put bums on seats at the ground, Nein want them at home watching it on TV so they can charge more for their advertising.

I'm so glad I'm not in Brisbane. The obsession with the donkeys would drive me nuts.

simon64 said:
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the agenda of the game's free to air broadcaster flies in the face of the objective of the clubs ?

While clubs are trying everything they can to put bums on seats at the ground, Nein want them at home watching it on TV so they can charge more for their advertising.

No, you're not. It has been debated many times on this forum. I'm waiting for virtual crowds. We already have virtual cheers, with The Burrow's recorded support playing over the speakers at ANZ Stadium.

The Who said:
simon64 said:

No, you're not. It has been debated many times on this forum. I'm waiting for virtual crowds. We already have virtual cheers, with The Burrow's recorded support playing over the speakers at ANZ Stadium.

At least they won't have to inflate the crowd figures anymore. they can just photo shop in any size crowd they like.

Reminds of the pre-recorded laughter on sit-coms in the 70's Who.

It's got to be a worry when major stake holders pull in different directions.

I hoped the NRL would sack up and put 9 in their place but they just rolled over and wet themselves like a dog.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4