Team: Players Excelled in Other Sports

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
I wonder if a Rugby League team can be compiled entirely from players who've excelled in other major competitive sports? To be eligible, they need to have played at least one first grade game (not sure if Darren Clarke played a first grade game for Balmain). Excelled means representative or professional level. Other major sports would not include similar football codes, although soccer would be okay. It's possible that elite cross code athletes were more common in the early days of Rugby League. These are are the players I can remember (Herb Collins was the result of an internet search - he captained Australia in cricket & played in the Roosters first premiership winning team)
  1. Ray Lindwall (Australian cricketer)
  2. Johnny Bliss (Australian beach sprint champion)
  3. Warren Ryan (1962 Com Games - shot put)
  4. John MacDonald (professional athlete)
  5. Michael Cleary (1962 Com Games - sprinter)
  6. Anthony Mundine (professional boxer)
  7. Herb Collins (Australian cricketer)
  8. Brent Todd (NZ water polo)
  9. John Monie (surfing)
  10. Kevin Tamati (professional boxer)
  11. Sonny Bill Williams (professional boxer)
  12. Dick Thornett (1960 Olympics - water polo)
  13. Paul Gallen (professional boxer)
  14. Solomon Haumono (professional boxer)
  15. Graeme Hughes (NSW cricketer)
  16. Max Whitehead (World wrestling champion)
  17. Denis Tutty (Australian rowing champ)
Thank you to everyone for your input - my remarks in a post below. I have expanded my team to 17 & included your suggestions. Dropped from my original 13 are Les Johns (didn't represent NSW in cricket) & John Hopoate. Further suggestions are welcome. Edit: added John MacDonald - suggestion from @Freddo

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but Paul Gallen has also done professional boxing (and more than just a couple of exhibition bouts). So there is a lock.

Is this just limited to Australian players? Because Matthew Ridge was a NZ ranked tennis player in his junior days.

Jack Elsegood became a motor racing driver after his retirement from league. He won the 2009 Australian V8 Ute Series championship (as well as finishing runner up in 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010) and has also had a class win in the Bathurst 12 Hour in 2007 where he co-drove with no less than Aussie motor racing legend John Bowe.

That's 2 or 3 I can think of off the top of my head.

I wonder if a Rugby League team can be compiled entirely from players who've excelled in other major competitive sports? To be eligible, they need to have played at least one first grade game (not sure if Darren Clarke played a first grade game for Balmain). Excelled means representative or professional level. Other major sports would not include similar football codes, although soccer would be okay. It's possible that elite cross code athletes were more common in the early days of Rugby League. These are are the players I can remember (Herb Collins was the result of an internet search - he captained Australia in cricket & played in the Roosters first premiership winning team)
  1. Les Johns (NSW cricketer)
  2. Ray Lindwall (Australian cricketer)
  3. Warren Ryan (1962 Comm Games - shot put)
  4. John Hopoate (professional boxer)
  5. Michael Cleary (1962 Comm Games - sprinter)
  6. Anthony Mundine (professional boxer)
  7. Herb Collins (Australian cricketer)
  8. Solomon Haumono (professional boxer)

9. Graeme Hughes (NSW cricketer)
  10. Dick Thornett (1960 Olympics - water polo)
I don't think Les Johns ever represented NSW in cricket. Les was a left-handed opening bat for Petersham. I played against him a few times. He was gritty and hard to get out but not up to State selection if my memory is correct. However, Graeme Hughes (and his two brothers) also played for Petersham and Graeme was by far the best cricketer of the trio and a NSW representative.
I also played against Jason Taylor once who was an average cricketer, while I played in a charity match alongside Matt Burke and was impressed with his batting. He could have been a good grade cricketer if he had wanted.

As mentioned above Ridgey was a topline tennis junior with the McEnroe temperament

Not really a pro sport but Brent Todd was involved in the surf lifesaving stuff

Kevin Tamiti was the NZ heavyweight boxing champion at one stage I believe

Johnny Bliss played for Manly in their inaugural seasons as a winger and repped for Australia on one occasion.

At the time he won 12 consecutive Australian Beach Sprint titles

During the 1947 season, decked out in full football gear including heavy leather football boots and carrying a football, Bliss clocked 11.1 seconds over 110 yards and also recorded 9.9 seconds over 100 yards. The 100 metres at the 1948 Olympics in London was won by American sprinter Harrison Dillard in a time of 10.3.

If Bliss had taken up athletics (apparently there were some overtures to get him to do that), he could have won an Olympic Gold Medal.

A most famous player in ARL in so far as changing the game for players benefits was Dennis Tutty.

He played for Balmain, allegedly as an amateur so that he could represent Australia in rowing. He rowed for NSW and won a State Cup in 1965. His brother was an Olympian rower.

He stood down from the game for 2 years, fighting for "players rights" and eventually won. Players have since had a say about the game and their income.

The story is told that, during his time as an amateur, his mother would front up at the Balmain Leagues Club on a Monday morning. She must have been very lucky as the pokie she was directed to had already paid out a jackpot before the cover on the machine had been lifted.

A lot of European soccer players are champion divers.
More seriously I knew of this guy but couldn't remember the name. Alan Walker, he played RU for Australia (which does not count I know) but also cricket for NSW and went on an Aussie tour to South Africa. played first grade RL for Sea Eagles but what position I have no idea.

Last edited:
Not NRL player but All Black Jeff Wilson played cricket for NZ as well in the 90s. That’s two top sporting codes in a country and a fair effort.

Rex was a dual International

maxresdefault.jpg

Throw in Bob Bartlett, wing or centre for Manly and won Australian Lawn bowls championships.
Not an established boxer yet but will nominate Darcy Lussick as a champion for flattening that flea Hodges. Manfred Moore (NFL running back) to Newtown rugby league as ball boy.

Last edited:
I grew up watching Ken Shine playing full back for Narrabri. Went to set a points scoring record of 249 in a season while in Newcastle comp. coached south Sydney first grade side for 3 years. Played cricket for north Sydney and coached cricket.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7